Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Vacations

12 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Just got back from Portland and had a great time. Washington Park has some cool hikes and things to see and we also had a good time at the Colombia River Gorge , especially the Multnomah falls. Didn't find any amazing food unfortunately, but had some good beer.

Were you able to avoid the Antifa death squads and the smoldering remains of the city? 

Sorry, I missed that you were going. Hate to see a trip to portland come and go without a great meal. But at least you got a good brew in Oregon’s second-best beer town. 

13 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Were you able to avoid the Antifa death squads and the smoldering remains of the city? 

Sorry, I missed that you were going. Hate to see a trip to portland come and go without a great meal. But at least you got a good brew in Oregon’s second-best beer town. 

Heh right? The downtown areas did have a bunch more homeless than Denver does, but it was only a few blocks that were sketchy. Got to see a lot of the "weirdness" too.

So possibly decided today on our next trip this summer: Honduras! Specifically Bay of Islands. Anyone been?

80365~2.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Heh right? The downtown areas did have a bunch more homeless than Denver does, but it was only a few blocks that were sketchy. Got to see a lot of the "weirdness" too.

So possibly decided today on our next trip this summer: Honduras! Specifically Bay of Islands. Anyone been?

80365~2.jpeg

Yeah. The homeless issue is serious there, for sure. Still, Portland is a cool place to be, despite its reputation for American carnage. My favorite spots are away from downtown and out in the neighborhoods: Alberta, Mississippi, Hawthorne, Hollywood District and a couple of others. That's usually where the best restaurants are, too.

Edit: That spot in Honduras looks incredible.

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Yeah. The homeless issue is serious there, for sure. Still, Portland is a cool place to be, despite its reputation for American carnage. My favorite spots are away from downtown and out in the neighborhoods: Alberta, Mississippi, Hawthorne, Hollywood District and a couple of others. That's usually where the best restaurants are, too.

Edit: That spot in Honduras looks incredible.

We stayed in the pearl district I'm pretty sure. And it was really nice around us. Maybe just looked in the wrong spots for food.

1 hour ago, misplacedcowboy said:

@NVGiantwe'll be stopping in Bend later this week on our way to the coast.

Probably getting in too late for anything besides fast food drive-thru for dinner, but any good Saturday morning breakfast recommendations?

Hmmm. Depends what you want and where you are staying, I guess. 

Nice, higher-end places: I'd suggest Jackson's Corner, McKay's Cottage, Chow, or The Lemon Tree. Some will tell you Victorian Cafe is the best place in town, but those people are crazy.

Cheaper and/or greasy spoons: Rockin' Daves, Palmer Cafe, Cabin 22, or if you want a really, really greasy spoon that will make you  feel terrible about yourself for liking it, Jake's Diner.

Own category: Sparrow's Bakery. They are famous for a cardamom-spiced pastry called an Ocean Roll. I love these things, but the line can stretch forever to get one.

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I just read that last week had the most Americans out of the office on vacation since the pandemic began. This week is expected to eclipse it. 

Time to get your shit in gear before they close everything down again.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Hmmm. Depends what you want and where you are staying, I guess. 

Nice, higher-end places: I'd suggest Jackson's Corner, McKay's Cottage, Chow, or The Lemon Tree. Some will tell you Victorian Cafe is the best place in town, but those people are crazy.

Cheaper and/or greasy spoons: Rockin' Daves, Palmer Cafe, Cabin 22, or if you want a really, really greasy spoon that will make you  feel terrible about yourself for liking it, Jake's Diner.

Own category: Sparrow's Bakery. They are famous for a cardamom-spiced pastry called an Ocean Roll. I love these things, but the line can stretch forever to get one.

Higher-end places? Dude... I'm a Wyoming fan that lives in Nampa. I took my wife to Shari's for our 5 year anniversary. 

Might just be a donuts and coffee morning depending on how the kids are feeling. Any good local shops we can stop by on our way out of town?

1 hour ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Higher-end places? Dude... I'm a Wyoming fan that lives in Nampa. I took my wife to Shari's for our 5 year anniversary. 

Might just be a donuts and coffee morning depending on how the kids are feeling. Any good local shops we can stop by on our way out of town?

Haha. Well, I’d say Palmer’s or Jake’s then if you’re sitting down. Both are good. Sparrows if you want grab and go ( just go early). We do have donuts, of course, but I’m not a big donut guy so can’t tell which one is better than another.

41 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Was just at South Tahoe about 8 days ago.........we were in & out in a few hours, but some of the younger crowd rented an house & stayed 3+ days 

Dammit. I just posted this. Way late as it turned out. 

7 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Time to get your shit in gear before they close everything down again.

Not a chance, I was at Santa Barbara Bier Garten for 6 hours on Saturday.  Long lines the entire time, people having a good time.  If someone were to suggest lockdown, the would meet a fate similar to Mussolini.

110926run_defense710.jpg

9 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Not a chance, I was at Santa Barbara Bier Garten for 6 hours on Saturday.  Long lines the entire time, people having a good time.  If someone were to suggest lockdown, the would meet a fate similar to Mussolini.

Last I heard Chicago was looking into restrictions on bars and restaurants, of course after their big money maker, Lollapalooza.  

took my bike west over to Cali 60 miles. To Lake Davis. A reservoir in Plumas Cty.

Lake still functioning, fires missed it, water is low of course, Still has boating. Still beautiful!

(FYI, Lake Davis had to be drained twice because some moron put some Great Northern Pike into it! those would be brutal to California rivers). (1997 and 2007)

20210803_123108.jpg

cerified_Subarus.jpg