Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Vacations

22 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I'll be leaving the country in 2 months. Either to Greece or Colombia. I'm thrilled.

If you went to Greece, what part would you travel to? It’s one of my favorite countries.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, WAC_FAN said:

I have friends studying in Medellin and they said it's not bad, it's calmed down a lot there right now.  The touristy areas are pretty normal.   It might be ok if you're not going for a month or so.   I would not go to Bogota right now.

That's good to know, glad it's not too bad there. Medellin was originally our go to spot.

22 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I'll be leaving the country in 2 months. Either to Greece or Colombia. I'm thrilled.

Wouldnt be too keen on Columbia right now.  Due to the civil unrest down there, the Copa America (South America's biggest soccer tournament) games scheduled to be hosted by Columbia were moved to Argentina.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/copa-america/story/4390771/colombia-ruled-out-as-hosts-for-2021-copa-america-due-to-unrest

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/16/2021 at 9:00 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Anybody have any recommendations for an Oregon coast trip with 2 kids under 6? Planning to road trip from Boise in the late summer or fall to visit for the 1st time. 

Tagging @NVGiant, not sure who else lives in the general area that could also help...

Seaside to the Boy Scout camp. Really beautiful rainforests by the beach, good surfing.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

8 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Was thinking of going to Crete. I've only been to Athens, though, so I'm open to suggestions. Definitely would like to be on a beach somewhere.

What’s more important/interesting to you between history and relaxation? Or do you want a combination of both?

On 3/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, Joe from WY said:

It's the greatest area on the Left Coast. If you want suggestions, let me know. And if you make it down here, let me know and I'll buy you a beer somewhere.

Frisco is unique in that it is basically an eastern city in a west coast setting, so it has that east meets west vibe.

Anybody visiting there who wants a more of a true California experience, complete with parking , I suggest a ten minute trip down to Pacifica. Have a meal at Nick's. Go to the beach there or Linda Mar. Drive down Devil's Slide and maybe even Half Moon Bay if you have the time.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

10 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

A combo of both would be ideal. I figure a good deal of time will be spent on a beach, eating gyros and drinking Mythos beer if I make it there though.

You can get Mythos and gyros all over Greece. Maybe a fun area for you to check out that’s not too touristy is the Pelion peninsula. I spent a week there with a Greek family and it was amazing. Small uncrowded beaches and warm people. It’s a relatively quick drive to Meteora from there where you can check out some of the coolest monasteries in the world. One of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had was eating at a fresh daily catch only tavern that didn’t have any refrigerators in a small fishing village named Agia Kyriaki. 

And @Joe from WY- if you just want some r and r in a not too touristy place with amazing water, check out Kefalonia. Stay away from Santorini and Mykonos.

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

A combo of both would be ideal. I figure a good deal of time will be spent on a beach, eating gyros and drinking Mythos beer if I make it there though.

I’m checking this thread while on vacation; Greece is very high on my must-visit list. Is it realistic to go to Istanbul and Greece in one trip?

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Maui is the most geriatric place I have vacationed. 

Im not a foodie, but Mama’s Fish House was the best place I have ever eaten. My lord sooooo good

A bit overrated and highly overpriced, but Mamas fish house definitely has amazing food. It's definitely the known tourist spot.

Our go to for fish was Cuatro, food was just as good as Mama's but half the price. They would tell you when and where your fish was caught and at the time was BYOB with full bottle service. So we'd bring a nice bottle of wine to have with our meal for 1/4 of the price you'd have to pay if you ordered it from a restaurant.

Just got back from a trip to Kentucky, Tennessee, and (briefly) North Carolina. Stayed in Louisville, did distillery tours at Maker's Mark, Stitzel-Weller (historical), Angel's Envy, Wilderness Trail. Then stayed in Knoxville, hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains NP, drove out to Cherokee NC and ate lunch and hiked on the east slope.

I gotta say the Smokies are beautiful but other than that, Tennessee disappointed. Knoxville is a big college town and I kinda expected a somewhat vibrant strip along campus... nope. Kentucky beat Tennessee's pants off (at least East Tennessee) in terms of food, drinks, friendliness, and it wasn't just Louisville, we hit up places in Danville and Lebanon, KY as well. Was exactly the opposite of my expectation going in, would definitely repeat the KY part of the trip. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Just got back from a trip to Kentucky, Tennessee, and (briefly) North Carolina. Stayed in Louisville, did distillery tours at Maker's Mark, Stitzel-Weller (historical), Angel's Envy, Wilderness Trail. Then stayed in Knoxville, hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains NP, drove out to Cherokee NC and ate lunch and hiked on the east slope.

I gotta say the Smokies are beautiful but other than that, Tennessee disappointed. Knoxville is a big college town and I kinda expected a somewhat vibrant strip along campus... nope. Kentucky beat Tennessee's pants off (at least East Tennessee) in terms of food, drinks, friendliness, and it wasn't just Louisville, we hit up places in Danville and Lebanon, KY as well. Was exactly the opposite of my expectation going in, would definitely repeat the KY part of the trip. 

I live near Danville/Lebanon. It's beautiful here this time of year.

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Find anything good at the distilleries?

I always have the girlfriend bring back Heaven Hill green label and Old Bardstown BiB as they’re Kentucky only releases.  

16 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Find anything good at the distilleries?

I always have the girlfriend bring back Heaven Hill green label and Old Bardstown BiB as they’re Kentucky only releases.  

Yes. The Angel's Envy Rye is finished in rum barrels. it's divine. it's sold elsewhere but the only place you can reliably get it is at the distillery. I got the rye bourbon from Wilderness Trail as well. I liked their cask strength for it better but not at the price point difference (and not with already having bought the Angel's Envy rye). 

The maker's mark 46 cask strength was really good too but wasn't for sale at the distillery yet or I would have got it. 

Also had a decent number of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ales by Lexington Brewing. Man that is a drinkable beer and goes down sessionable but at 8% it has the malt backbone to make each drink like a bite of dessert. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, happycamper said:

I loved living in Louisville for a few years as a kid. Really cool place. We lived out on the side of town (MIddletown), and my parents have since moved back there again.

Did you make a detour to check out Mammoth cave? Was a pretty sweet field trip as a 5th grader if I remember right.

And if you're looking for some southern hospitality, a dinner at Claudia Sanders (wife of the Colonel) in Shelbyville is hard to beat.

4 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I loved living in Louisville for a few years as a kid. Really cool place. We lived out on the side of town (MIddletown), and my parents have since moved back there again.

Did you make a detour to check out Mammoth cave? Was a pretty sweet field trip as a 5th grader if I remember right.

No we didn't make it out there. Probably would have been day ~ 7 or so but we had 4 :) 

4 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

And if you're looking for some southern hospitality, a dinner at Claudia Sanders (wife of the Colonel) in Shelbyville is hard to beat.

Ooh yum. We had pretty good luck just... walking/driving around and picking places that looked cool. Or just popping in a bar for some old fashioneds and asking the bartender. Louisville and Kentucky in general nailed customer service for this trip. 

On 6/18/2021 at 1:46 PM, azgreg said:

Any recommendations for Portland at the end of the month?

Just got back from Portland and had a great time. Washington Park has some cool hikes and things to see and we also had a good time at the Colombia River Gorge , especially the Multnomah falls. Didn't find any amazing food unfortunately, but had some good beer.