Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Vacations

2 hours ago, sean327 said:

I’m going to go back to New Mexico for a couple of weeks this summer to see my parents. On the way back we will probably hit the Grand Canyon for a few days. I really want to go to Spain, but I’m in wait and see mode because of COVID.

What part of Spain? I’ve been to Madrid, Barcelona, Pamplona, and the Basque region. Also to the Canary Islands but those don’t count. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

My dad is half Scottish and half Norwegian. When I was eight, he took me to visit our ancestral clan house. However, he has never visited the home of his Norwegian lineage, and I hope to return the favor and do exactly that with him next year. 

I need to get to Scotland one day myself.  I have some Highlander lineage, plus in areas not all that far west of Glasgow... 

We might hit the Big Island with other family members in August. Maybe New Jersey in November-December-ish (one of the Holidays).  Too soon to tell for all of this, but we do get our second vaccine shots tomorrow...

4 hours ago, retrofade said:

I don't have anything big on the schedule as things stand now. I'm headed out to Denver for a few days for my cousin's wedding in July. From there, I may head out to the valley to visit family for a week as well. 

The snow from the recent blizzard might actually be gone by then...

3 hours ago, crixus said:

I've been to Spain and had a great time. I think you're wise to wait, your time will come and you'll have fun. Check out Malaga. You can catch a train there from Madrid. It's awesome! 

SP-map.jpg

My wife and I are going to South Africa whenever the pandemic is behind us. I'm a big rugby fan and the sport is very popular there. And we both love nature travel and will keep busy checking out all the animals that live in Kruger National Park.

s0daJW35tb8jIb5PPyMaw35cnLo0wmOtVGr3-yEtg_1z2Es376NITMXQDSabAH4y5tfxbhJM_JV99rOmv0p3BM2UAb66ig1fwzBgfBpSP04n3Aqk7TvgZhK0NuMhL-67GV_LAmatQbMNYiyFzjZQ2pvevEPBNVHR4jApmfoQRIfB3r4cD9QWMe3edoLvvREI9rgUslYnzsRjCujtfeKiTua3LN8cxbBoSrg-Zw_CH5m0WnrRVp1kKVGO4BFK-9deYTJakXmSm5ZhOQSd3DAY9EG-xRz3umExV0In227hxqfY6C81kyBVk8KrZHWAtON0STfxND4PUfqpcF7LUM5V0Te-r25WUjcML6n4De2-5i4W-NiuWto1SfXcVfYnvEriJfrS7XutIzlQ1mBYhHd28A1dtr4AUy2BwFAIOYqCE2AWw0-26KBDuwn4KDpxfyax780z_zdJ9G1FuhBIWA3DMlG1Jf93oBmUPt6VG2wzW0OdTBArDlH-sRRHPErU6CnTfLNeN8uG54Y2RjgzKKhHPd1Gq6aRLzkg279-lc90KwCABnbErD2bhakibDLbkuhyaAtPjMgh662Crxi2g-7N-jlaHCztYfJQpYq3PHjuW7a86UvuPA2h7P3aTmvgFWllTFxwLFf9_zMhvepUOOPGyARctOtNavPj8qOhYTb6fa6kSG3h5rz94EerQJrkYvahHToLyYkwL629c5reJixMJCOj=w190-h266-no?authuser=0  Kruger National Park South Africa Stickers - 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed |  Zazzle

Wife and I already talked about a trip to New Zealand. Want to catch an All Blacks game. The haka and all. I'm there for the trip and game, she, for the trip.

39 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Wife and I already talked about a trip to New Zealand. Want to catch an All Blacks game. The haka and all. I'm there for the trip and game, she, for the trip.

2 years ago we spent 3 weeks on the north island and then 6 months later did a 3 week trip to the south island. My favorite country I've ever been to. The ppl, the geography, the cities, amazing stuff.

1 minute ago, Stealthlobo said:

2 years ago we spent 3 weeks on the north island and then 6 months later did a 3 week trip to the south island. My favorite country I've ever been to. The ppl, the geography, the cities, amazing stuff.

Aside from watching the All Blacks from time to time, I started following Wellington Phoenix FC. Will likely try to catch a game on the south island, if we go next year.

16 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Aside from watching the All Blacks from time to time, I started following Wellington Phoenix FC. Will likely try to catch a game on the south island, if we go next year.

Nice. I'm not a rugby fan at all, but my brother in law is. Got him an All Blacks jersey while we were there that he loved.

8 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

I just booked a two week stay in Maui for this summer for some seriously needed downtime. 

Anybody else traveling this year? I think it will be a record year for the travel and tourism industry. 

Once we will get vaccinated we will lock in plans, but flights are already back to "normal" prices for the most part, so it looks like it will be a big travel year.

Travel stocks are going up so people are thinking the same way as you do.

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Was planning on going to the Olympics to watch my child play but it is increasingly looking like no spectators allowed 😢

C'mon man we need a backstory.

Probably go to Boise to visit family.  Also do what we do every summer and spend every weekend we can in the mountains.   The fires really messed up some of our favorite spots so will probably go over to the Sierra Madre range for a week and do a bunch of exploring.

1 hour ago, gold-n-brown said:

Probably go to Boise to visit family.  Also do what we do every summer and spend every weekend we can in the mountains.   The fires really messed up some of our favorite spots so will probably go over to the Sierra Madre range for a week and do a bunch of exploring.

Hopefully you drive... it's always nice to see a Steamboat on the road out here!

3 hours ago, gold-n-brown said:

C'mon man we need a backstory.

Not sure what the backstory is.  He is a water polo player on team USA that was hoping to be home finishing grad school and making babies at this point.  

Instead he is playing professionally in Croatia and attending grad school remotely at night until 2:00am.   He’s pretty much burning the candle at 3 ends right now.   

I feel the worst for my daughter-in-law.   She was in med school in Grenada during the Rio Olympics and couldn’t go.   Now it looks like she won’t get to go again.  I’m really hoping they at least allow spouses to attend.   

17 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

What part of Spain? I’ve been to Madrid, Barcelona, Pamplona, and the Basque region. Also to the Canary Islands but those don’t count. 

I’m thinking Southern Spain from Toledo on down. 

1 minute ago, sean327 said:

My wife went to Seville on a work trip and loved it. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

22 hours ago, happycamper said:

Going to Arizona in a month for a couple days to visit the in-laws, planning a Wyoming visit in June and hunting with my dad in October. Decent amount of camping trips planned around Washington/Oregon too. There's a lot of stuff out here to explore. 

Where is the Antifa gathering in Arizona taking place? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

15 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Sevilla and Grenada. The drive from Sevilla to Grenada is one of the prettiest I've ever done. The Alhambra in Grenada is must see. Sevilla has too many historic places to count. Also... Paella. Gotta have some Paella when in Southern Spain. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

Sedona

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

30 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

But I'm going to phoenix :ph34r:

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Maui Howie here.   I promised my wife a trip to Maui for our 5th anniversary.  We were pregnant so I promised her a trip to Maui on our 10th anniversary.  My mom had terminal cancer and died early that month so we just didn't go.  Well, what do you do on your 13th wedding anniversary?  You buy tickets 4 months in advance and don't tell her.  Remind her the day before our anniversary to don't start anything that you can't finish by noon because I am taking her for an anniversary lunch.  I went home & packed bags and checked them with the airlines (Pre-9-11 you could do that).  We left the office and headed to the airport.  At the United gate, our seats are called and she refuses to go another step until she knows what's up.  I told her I had lunch reservations (I really didn't) at the Crab Catcher restaurant in the San Francisco Airport.  There, we have a couple of hour layover.  We had plenty of time to visit because we have a 4 hour trip to Maui.  She about fell over.  We had no carry on bags, just a light jacket for both of us and a handful of Maui travel brochures.  We stayed at the Ka'anapali Hyatt Regency on the concierge level, ocean view...

That was 28 years ago this August...

Gonna do that again some day.

Just got back from Orlando to see the grandkids.  Hoping to get back for the football game this September.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:29 AM, bornontheblue said:

I just booked a two week stay in Maui for this summer for some seriously needed downtime. 

Anybody else traveling this year? I think it will be a record year for the travel and tourism industry. 

Only as required. I can't afford vacations