Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

U.S Soccer Lands Yunus Musah

44 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I think it's better that they are sticking to their preferred formation to get some guys comfortable with the team philosophy... which will hopefully pay dividends when actual games that matter come around in the next few months. No matter who they put in their at Acosta's spot today, that person would be replaced by Adams or McKennie if the game actually mattered, so I don't think it matters too much.

Can't excuse missing the chance to see Brooks and Richards together though... that one is a head scratcher for sure

But it does matter if Acosta can't produce like Adams or Wes and feed the attack or break up runs for the other side.  And he can't.  He runs around a lot.   He breaks up very little and he provided nothing but a late slide on the Jamaica goal today.   The rest of the team compensates for him for the most part and that's not something I want to ingrain into a talented side.  I want them to play with their heads up and trust their teammates to do their jobs.  

He makes money playing soccer.  But he's not an international 6 nor should he be on any US 23 for the WC.  All I want is to move on.  Progress.   And that's with the youth in US soccer in 2021.   Not the retreads who are 'comfort' to the coach because they know what to do in meaningless friendlies.   

Jury is out on Berhalter still for me.  He has gotten many dual nationals in the camp and that's great but I hope he learns how best to use them.  They'll qualify pretty easily unless he's worse than I thought as a coach but the WC is another animal and he has too many guys who have no business in a WC playing important minutes still.

22 hours ago, sebasour said:

USA fails to qualify for the 3rd straight Olympics

US soccer is so mismanaged.  From the top down.  There's no other excuse that makes sense to me.   Honduras made them look stupid.  Honduras. 

They lost in WC qualifying last time around to Trinidad and Tobago.   A population about like South Dakota's.    

Good news is there is young talent in the pipeline. Real good, international quality talent.   Bad news is the coaching is still poor.

1 hour ago, roughrider said:

US soccer is so mismanaged.  From the top down.  There's no other excuse that makes sense to me.   Honduras made them look stupid.  Honduras. 

They lost in WC qualifying last time around to Trinidad and Tobago.   A population about like South Dakota's.    

Good news is there is young talent in the pipeline. Real good, international quality talent.   Bad news is the coaching is still poor.

The issue is that it seems like coaches prioritize athletes over technical skilled players. It doesn't matter if you're physically stronger than a team like Honduras who is going to sit back and defend... what you need is at least a few players who have the technical skill to break those types of teams down and capitalize on any half chance you might get.

The under 23 coach has been fired multiple times with MLS teams... you absolutely should not have someone like that coaching your up and coming talent at a national level

13 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

The issue is that it seems like coaches prioritize athletes over technical skilled players. It doesn't matter if you're physically stronger than a team like Honduras who is going to sit back and defend... what you need is at least a few players who have the technical skill to break those types of teams down and capitalize on any half chance you might get.

The under 23 coach has been fired multiple times with MLS teams... you absolutely should not have someone like that coaching your up and coming talent at a national level

I don't think it's really even prioritization of athletes over skill though. The U23 squad that missed the Olympics qualifying had a lot of technically skilled players. The biggest problem is the same thing that we've seen with the Senior level team until very recently.... insistence on forcing a system onto the players that doesn't take advantage of the skills that they have. I think the squad selection for this U23 group was a bit off as well, and there were a few guys that weren't even named to the team who probably should have been. 

I think there may be some hope on the Senior team after GGG scrapped his back building 4-3-3 system and employed a pressing 3-4-3 against Northern Ireland that actually played to his team's strengths. We'll hopefully have both McKennie and Adams available for the Nations Cup and Gold Cup, and then head into World Cup Qualifying. There's not a single team within CONCACAF that has more talent than our current group. Now they just need to prove it.

It's a basic lack of coaching acumen.   There is one or two US citizen coaches that have the tools to use the talent coming up properly and it isn't Berhalter or Kreis (sp?).   And we may never get them to coach the US since they're making coin in Europe (although Wagner could be available to them before the real coaching future star Jesse Marsh. 

And it's on US Soccer 'leadership' (sic) that they retread their pals or brothers as coaches.

5 hours ago, retrofade said:

I don't think it's really even prioritization of athletes over skill though. The U23 squad that missed the Olympics qualifying had a lot of technically skilled players. The biggest problem is the same thing that we've seen with the Senior level team until very recently.... insistence on forcing a system onto the players that doesn't take advantage of the skills that they have. I think the squad selection for this U23 group was a bit off as well, and there were a few guys that weren't even named to the team who probably should have been. 

I think there may be some hope on the Senior team after GGG scrapped his back building 4-3-3 system and employed a pressing 3-4-3 against Northern Ireland that actually played to his team's strengths. We'll hopefully have both McKennie and Adams available for the Nations Cup and Gold Cup, and then head into World Cup Qualifying. There's not a single team within CONCACAF that has more talent than our current group. Now they just need to prove it.

I disagree on the team selection priorities to a point... even then, the roster that got called up should have easily qualified regardless.

The central defense was the weakest position group on the entire team, so any sort of system with 3 at the back would have been a disaster, IMO. I agree the N. Ireland game was a fun one to watch. With a full list of players, it might be a good way forward based on the current players and gameplans will see in CONCACAF

7 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I disagree on the team selection priorities to a point... even then, the roster that got called up should have easily qualified regardless.

The central defense was the weakest position group on the entire team, so any sort of system with 3 at the back would have been a disaster, IMO. I agree the N. Ireland game was a fun one to watch. With a full list of players, it might be a good way forward based on the current players and gameplans will see in CONCACAF

I agree that the team that was selected absolutely should have qualified. They were largely forced into a system that none of them really play at a club level, and goes against the skills that they have. It was also asinine (Tyler Adams playing CB level asinine) to have Johnny playing the 8 when he's a natural (and pretty good) 6. That would have helped to alleviate a lot of the central defense issues in my opinion. I wish that Konrad had been allowed by Barca to play in the qualifying tournament. He would have been the best player on the team, and not by that small a margin. He has his flaws for sure, but he's damn talented. 

I don't think that a 3-4-3 would have been good for this group, GGG's shift to it in the Northern Ireland game was my main point, because he was finally able to utilize a system that played to the squad's strengths instead of forcing them to play a way that detracts from them simply because it's his system.

Kreis had no business coaching this team and it showed in every single match. USSF needs to start investing in the lower levels, because high level international tournament experience is a really important component in developing experienced senior level players. Unfortunately, USSF really only seems to care about making sure that they can turn a profit.

I see a lot of people, not on here, but the BigSoccer board, that are suggesting that since we didn't qualify for the Olympics, we wont qualify for the World Cup either, which is just plain bollocks.  The U.S. hasn't made the Olympics since 2008, but still made it to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups. Plus, the talent on the current team is significantly better than what we had last time, which was a bunch of vets that were a little too comfortable in their positions. I predicted before the final 2 games of the last cycle that if Arena brings in the same players he had been, the U.S. would be in trouble. The posters on that board called me ridiculous, saying we'd be fine. I wasn't really that surprised when T&T beat us, disappointed, extremely, but not surprised.

Egg has made it clear that he's prioritizing the Nations League over the Gold Cup, so I expect to see our A team against Switzerland, Honduras, and (most likely) Mexico in June. Steffen in goal, Long and Brooks in the middle, Dest and ARob on the outside, McKennie and Adams mids, Puli, Musah, and Reyna attack, and Sargent up front. That squad should EASILY qualify for Qatar.

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

I’m not sure we can take too much away from the NI game. They’re 45th in the FIFA rankings (23 places below us), that was definitely their B team, and I didn’t find our win particularly convincing.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

US Soccer has done a good job of lining up cupcakes for the senior men's team to play.  They are trying make their Nepotism Berhalter hire look like the right move.

Good news and bad news is from here on out all competitions are actually going to mean something.  Time to sink or swim coach...

4 hours ago, roughrider said:

It's a basic lack of coaching acumen.   There is one or two US citizen coaches that have the tools to use the talent coming up properly and it isn't Berhalter or Kreis (sp?).   And we may never get them to coach the US since they're making coin in Europe (although Wagner could be available to them before the real coaching future star Jesse Marsh. 

And it's on US Soccer 'leadership' (sic) that they retread their pals or brothers as coaches.

Why UC Santa Barbara's Tim Vom Steeg has never coached the U-23s, IDK.  He might have been one of those exceptional US citizen coaches you speak of.  A bit old now, but still...

image.png.ce4d4dc810bf7c1afafc0393aca94324.png

On 3/25/2021 at 10:02 AM, RSF said:

8 European based players in the starting lineup against Jamaica.  3 MLS players on the entire roster.  Several Euro based players missing due to travel restrictions.  Scheduled 2 games in Europe just to get the Euro based players together.  And Cappis isnt in the starting lineup.

soc_5916_startingxi_tw.ashx?mw=2560&rev=

Yeah...he hates them.

If fútbol doesn't pan out for our 'keeper...he's always got the plumbing biz: