Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

U.S Soccer Lands Yunus Musah

Had a kid on my son's soccer team that got invited to try out for the Barcelona youth program. Incredible player by the standards of my son's travelling/all-star type team (young/mid- teens).

The coach that went with this player said our player was every bit if not more athletic, but literally was very obviously well below every other player at the academy based on technical/game skills. "Not even close" was the quote.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:07 AM, Poisestate said:

Playing in the semi-final (top 4) needs to be USA litmus test. We have no legitimate threat in front of the box distributing the ball.

We made it to the knockout stage in last world cup we made and Wondowlowski crapped himself against Belgium on a wide open goal directly in front of the net. 

Our whole game plan for the last 100 years is to park the bus in front of the goal and hope we can hit a through ball or pop something over their heads when the make a mistake and lose possession.  

We NEED a legitimate threat in front of goal that has size, speed, maturity, experience at top flight, and the poise to distribute the ball. We have 100 of those types of athletes playing in the NFL.  They are just being groomed at a young age to play American Football. 

I agree we need a legitimate striker, but we also have midfield/wing creativity we have lacked for many years. It’ll make the job much easier for the striker than the past Jozy cups where he had to try to create from holdup positions by himself. 

On 3/17/2021 at 4:37 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I'm not sure we're in disagreement. But the pay disparity just reinforces my point IMO. American player development is broken and our coaching is substandard. If we want to reach our potential as a soccer nation promising Americans need to get to Europe ASAP. Kids sign with EPL teams in their early teens. Rooney scored his first goal for Everton at 16. It's no accident that when we made the quarterfinals in 2002 8 of the 11 US starters were Europe based.

This is currently happening. None of our top young talent is in mls.

11 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

This is currently happening. None of our top young talent is in mls.

I followed the USMNT and the Americans in Europe very closely for decades but got turned off by the latter stages of the Klinsmann tenure and above all the 2018 WC qualification disaster. I need to start paying attention again.  

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Well the idiot head coach doesn't think much of his European based players (you know the ones that are far more talented than the MLS scrubs) so we're going to be forced to watch Acosta, Long and Lletget again.   And then a second division player from Europe (Cappis?).   4 starters that I wouldn't even have on the roster at this point.

Berhalter is a moron.

3 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Well the idiot head coach doesn't think much of his European based players (you know the ones that are far more talented than the MLS scrubs) so we're going to be forced to watch Acosta, Long and Lletget again.   And then a second division player from Europe (Cappis?).   4 starters that I wouldn't even have on the roster at this point.

Berhalter is a moron.

I think that's a tad harsh. Long has been consistently good for The USMNT, and Acosta is only there because Adams and Yueill aren't available.

Cappis is in a bit of a weird situation with his club right now, which put him in the 2nd division. He's moving to the best team in Denmark at the end of the year. He also only made the squad as an emergency option when guys pulled out

30 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Berhalter is a moron.

8 European based players in the starting lineup against Jamaica.  3 MLS players on the entire roster.  Several Euro based players missing due to travel restrictions.  Scheduled 2 games in Europe just to get the Euro based players together.  And Cappis isnt in the starting lineup.

soc_5916_startingxi_tw.ashx?mw=2560&rev=

Yeah...he hates them.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Decent enough performance against Jamaica,  especially without 2 key cogs to our midfield. Those garbage time goals made the scoreline a tad flattering,  but we dominated for 90 minutes 

And Lletget scored twice...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

And Lletget scored twice...

I could have.  He gets in good positions, that's what he does.  He missed more than a few before those sitters.  He's a bench warmer on my team.  When you get your first shot at putting your talented youth together, he, acosta and long had no business in there.  They're pedestrian and have proven it time and time again.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

8 European based players in the starting lineup against Jamaica.  3 MLS players on the entire roster.  Several Euro based players missing due to travel restrictions.  Scheduled 2 games in Europe just to get the Euro based players together.  And Cappis isnt in the starting lineup.

soc_5916_startingxi_tw.ashx?mw=2560&rev=

Yeah...he hates them.

It's a Euro based friendly and the MLS scrubs have been off for weeks now.   Form is used against the Euros when they haven't played much recently but the MLS scrubs get a pass.  Your first chance to get Richards and Brooks, your 2 best CB's, together and you shove pedestrian Long in there.  

Then Acosta?  Good grief.  Don't play a 6 if that's all you got.  Try a different formation that actually fits your best talent.  But the US coach can't.

28 minutes ago, roughrider said:

It's a Euro based friendly and the MLS scrubs have been off for weeks now.   Form is used against the Euros when they haven't played much recently but the MLS scrubs get a pass.  Your first chance to get Richards and Brooks, your 2 best CB's, together and you shove pedestrian Long in there.  

Then Acosta?  Good grief.  Don't play a 6 if that's all you got.  Try a different formation that actually fits your best talent.  But the US coach can't.

I think it's better that they are sticking to their preferred formation to get some guys comfortable with the team philosophy... which will hopefully pay dividends when actual games that matter come around in the next few months. No matter who they put in their at Acosta's spot today, that person would be replaced by Adams or McKennie if the game actually mattered, so I don't think it matters too much.

Can't excuse missing the chance to see Brooks and Richards together though... that one is a head scratcher for sure