Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

U.S Soccer Lands Yunus Musah

9 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I dunno, if I have a son I think I’m just going to let him play what he wants. If he picks the most lucrative and ends up being bad ass and makes a ton of money, great! But I’m not going to steer him towards sports based on the sport’s earning potential. 

What kind of parent are you?????  Helicopter is where it's at ;-)

6 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The comparison to MLS is the wrong comparison.  MLS should really be compared to Triple AAA baseball.   A better comparison to MLB would be the EPL.   

Average salary in the EPL is 8.73M compared to MLB 4.43

The Japanese league is around 500,000 for baseball where the Bundesliga is about 1.3M

I'm not sure we're in disagreement. But the pay disparity just reinforces my point IMO. American player development is broken and our coaching is substandard. If we want to reach our potential as a soccer nation promising Americans need to get to Europe ASAP. Kids sign with EPL teams in their early teens. Rooney scored his first goal for Everton at 16. It's no accident that when we made the quarterfinals in 2002 8 of the 11 US starters were Europe based.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

7 hours ago, Poisestate said:

Playing in the semi-final (top 4) needs to be USA litmus test. We have no legitimate threat in front of the box distributing the ball.

We made it to the knockout stage in last world cup we made and Wondowlowski crapped himself against Belgium on a wide open goal directly in front of the net. 

Our whole game plan for the last 100 years is to park the bus in front of the goal and hope we can hit a through ball or pop something over their heads when the make a mistake and lose possession.  

We NEED a legitimate threat in front of goal that has size, speed, maturity, experience at top flight, and the poise to distribute the ball. We have 100 of those types of athletes playing in the NFL.  They are just being groomed at a young age to play American Football. 

Less kids are playing football all the time. The problem is US Soccer needs to reach out to our entire population, not just the kids of soccer Moms. 

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I dunno, if I have a son I think I’m just going to let him play what he wants. If he picks the most lucrative and ends up being bad ass and makes a ton of money, great! But I’m not going to steer him towards sports based on the sport’s earning potential. 

Putting him in a variety of sports when 6 through 12 is hardly pushing them.

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I'm not sure we're in disagreement. But the pay disparity just reinforces my point IMO. American player development is broken and our coaching is substandard. If we want to reach our potential as a soccer nation promising Americans need to get to Europe ASAP. Kids sign with EPL teams in their early teens. Rooney scored his first goal for Everton at 16. It's no accident that when we made the quarterfinals in 2002 8 of the 11 US starters were Europe based.

I’m not sure why you feel the pay disparity is a big deal.  The top teams in the world are in Europe and will always be in Europe.  It’s a global economy these days.  The top Water Polo teams are also in Europe which is why my son works in Croatia.   

58 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I’m not sure why you feel the pay disparity is a big deal.  The top teams in the world are in Europe and will always be in Europe.  It’s a global economy these days.  The top Water Polo teams are also in Europe which is why my son works in Croatia.   

You’re the one who brought up the pay disparity by pointing out that MLS pay should be viewed as AAA baseball pay, not major league. I agree with you. But a AAA soccer team will not go deep into the World Cup. Our players need to be in the major leagues.

edit: in looking at the March USMNT roster I see there are only 3 MLS players. All the rest are Europe based. Not all the biggest leagues, but definitely progress. 

33 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

You’re the one who brought up the pay disparity by pointing out that MLS pay should be viewed as AAA baseball pay, not major league. I agree with you. But a AAA soccer team will not go deep into the World Cup. Our players need to be in the major leagues.

edit: in looking at the March USMNT roster I see there are only 3 MLS players. All the rest are Europe based. Not all the biggest leagues, but definitely progress. 

Many of our players are in the major leagues.  The US has a large contingent of players playing in Europe. 

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Putting him in a variety of sports when 6 through 12 is hardly pushing them.

I’m confused, because I didn’t say putting them in a variety of sports was pushing them. I said that once my kid is a teenager I’m not going to push them to focus on the sport that makes the most money; they can focus on whatever they like the most. Or they can not focus and keep playing multiple sports. Or they could quit sports altogether before high school. Whatever. 

38 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m confused, because I didn’t say putting them in a variety of sports was pushing them. I said that once my kid is a teenager I’m not going to push them to focus on the sport that makes the most money; they can focus on whatever they like the most. Or they can not focus and keep playing multiple sports. Or they could quit sports altogether before high school. Whatever. 

My experience is if you put kids in a variety of sports (or other activities) at a young age they will naturally gravitate to sports in which they excel.   That being said, if the parents are 6-8 inches taller than average it’s probably a good idea to gently steer their kids away from say gymnastics.  Or if the parents are shorter than average, to steer them towards sports like soccer or gymnastics.   

it’s not a bad thing to steer a child gently towards their strengths even if they say it’s their idea.  My son was convinced he would be a basketball player.  But I told him he had to play three sports as a freshman.  So he played Water Polo, Basketball and Volleyball.   Today he is on the US National Water Polo team.   

16 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Kids shouldn’t be specializing in any sport when they are 6-12. 

15 hours ago, renoskier said:

I don't disagree but that ship has sailed.

13 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Really?  I didn’t know the country was devoid of 6-12 year olds.   Go figure.  

Don't be an ass. Whether you like it or not, the days of most children playing multiple sports is over.

7 hours ago, renoskier said:

Don't be an ass. Whether you like it or not, the days of most children playing multiple sports is over.

I disagree.  Things go in cycles.   Lots of kids focusing on a single sport at a young age are suffering injuries.    

9 hours ago, sactowndog said:

My experience is if you put kids in a variety of sports (or other activities) at a young age they will naturally gravitate to sports in which they excel.   That being said, if the parents are 6-8 inches taller than average it’s probably a good idea to gently steer their kids away from say gymnastics.  Or if the parents are shorter than average, to steer them towards sports like soccer or gymnastics.   

it’s not a bad thing to steer a child gently towards their strengths even if they say it’s their idea.  My son was convinced he would be a basketball player.  But I told him he had to play three sports as a freshman.  So he played Water Polo, Basketball and Volleyball.   Today he is on the US National Water Polo team.   

Steering gently towards their strengths = good.

Steering gently towards sport you think they could make the most money in = not good. 

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Steering gently towards sport you think they could make the most money in = not good. 

Well given my son plays Water Polo professionally that clearly isn’t my MO.  Lol

That being said steering a child away from a sport that treats its players as disposable meat isn’t exactly a bad thing.   

34 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I would also add, given all the advantages afforded D1 athletes, steering them into a sport where they can succeed and play at the D1 level and exit college in time and with no or minimal debt isn’t a bad thing either.   

People don’t fully realize all the advantages these kids get.  

It was damn ugly, but The US hangs on to beat Costa Rica 1-0 in Olympic Qualifying despite being dominated in the second half. As long as The US doesn't +++++ up on Sunday against The Dominican Republic, they should be off to the semis

5 minutes ago, sebasour said:

It was damn ugly, but The US hangs on to beat Costa Rica 1-0 in Olympic Qualifying despite being dominated in the second half. As long as The US doesn't +++++ up on Sunday against The Dominican Republic, they should be off to the semis

Sloppy win but still a win by our D team! 

9 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Still our C or D team. There are better Under-23 options at every position, but their teams weren't obligated to release them for these qualification games

Yes I believe all MLS. Odd timing for meaningful international matches.