Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Game Thread: Selection Show

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

SDSU has a very good shot at making the Elite Eight if they play to their potential. WVU is the biggest stumbling block. 

We played them in Vegas a few years ago and Huggins' press gave us fits all night. IMO our backcourt is significantly better and deeper than it was then and this team is better suited to adjust and adapt.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

7 hours ago, dark brew said:

BYU a 6 seed?  Damn

I was bracing myself for an 8 or 9 but when I saw SDSU as a 6 and USU as 11 (both of which BYU beat on the road), I was pretty hopeful for a good seed.  A 6-seed was as high as I reasonably could expect.

I'm not sure what to make of the matchup, though.  Whoever wins that First Four game (UCLA vs Michigan State) will be coming off a warm-up game in Indianapolis without having to travel from Dayton.  At least it won't be on the same court as the first round matchup.

If Michigan State comes out of that game (like all the commentators expect), that could be pretty tough.  They've beaten 1-seeds Illinois and Michigan, as well as 2-seed Ohio State all within the last few weeks.  That's some high-end ability.  They will not be intimidated when BYU rolls into the arena.

I like the game's placement on the schedule, though - Saturday at 9:40 pm Eastern on CBS.

San Diego State plays Syracuse in that same time slot on CBS, but on Friday night.

Utah State - Texas Tech is on TNT on Friday at 1:45 pm Eastern.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2021-ncaa-tournament-schedule-dates-march-madness-bracket-games-locations-tv-tip-times/

7 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Last time the teams played was on the deck of an aircraft carrier off the coast of downtown SD. Me and three buddies were there. It was great but really weird.

Yep- it was difficult to penetrate and the wind was blowing their shots all over the place except into the basket. The faced Syracuse’s zone in that game. 

SI has picked us in the bottom half of the bracket:

Regional Finalists: Illinois and San Diego State

The top half of this region is loaded, and the bottom half is ripe for a bracket collapse. The Illini, as noted above, have all the ingredients of a Final Four team and potential national champion—but they will have to get through difficult games in rounds two (either Loyola or Georgia Tech) and three (Oklahoma State). If they survive that, they should find a major underdog waiting for them in the Elite Eight. The Aztecs haven’t lost since Jan. 16, and while not as gifted offensively as last year’s 30–2 team, they are still very tough defensively. A Matt Mitchell-Ayo Dosunmu matchup could be a treat: two versatile guards who are at their best when games are on the line.

Link

I think we're sneaky good for a six seed, considering we finished 18 in NET, 20 in KP, 17 in BPI and a gaudy 7 in RPI. Boeheim said he thinks we're good enough to be a 2 or 3 seed. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Link

I think we're sneaky good for a six seed, considering we finished 18 in NET, 20 in KP, 17 in BPI and a gaudy 7 in RPI. Boeheim said he thinks we're good enough to be a 2 or 3 seed. 

Opposing coaches always blow smoke up your ass. I have yet to hear a coach say their opponent sucks. 

It’s pretty simple. If the Aztecs shoot the three well, they win going away. You know Schakel and Gomez will shoot well, but will Mitchell and Pulliam? 

The Aztecs are a 2-3 point favorite. USU is a 4-5 point underdog. 

6 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Link

Syracuse has one Quad 1 win. Fewer than CSU, Utah State, and Boise State. They would have finished no better than 5th in the MWC. Aztecs should roll all over them.

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Syracuse has one Quad 1 win. Fewer than CSU, Utah State, and Boise State. They would have finished no better than 5th in the MWC. Aztecs should roll all over them.

All of Syracuse's Quad 1 games were on the road.  They are better than 5th in the MWC.  The zone is a huge difference maker.  Syracuse has length to be really effective.  Mitchell and his ability to feed the 3 pt shooters and drive the lane from the high post is the key for SDSU.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

ALMOST EVERY MW TEAM.  Reading comprehension is and will always be your friend.

"Almost every team" means more than just over half of the conference.  Common sense is and will always be your friend.

And we're still closer to the beach than UCF is

18 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Link

6 seed is SOOOO much better than 7 or 8 though

mem skyline sig.jpeg

20 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

We played them in Vegas a few years ago and Huggins' press gave us fits all night. IMO our backcourt is significantly better and deeper than it was then and this team is better suited to adjust and adapt.

Remembering that game makes me shudder. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

13 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

6 seed is SOOOO much better than 7 or 8 though

Yes.  And in this case, probably better than being a 5.  Because at least a couple 12's are on fire.