Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Game Thread: Selection Show

2 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Dang CSU is #2 replacement...so close. There are at least 3 teams in that CSU's resume is better than.

Pretty sure they didn't wanna give the MW three teams in. I mean it would be one thing if we would have done a little better in the OOC BUT we didn't.

I know they say they judge each team independently but I don't believe it. MW ended up with 2 bids along with AAC, A10, MVC, and WCC. Only "power" conferences (power 5 plus Big East-which is a power conference in basketball) ended up with more than two bids. 

USU's comeback vs Fresno in the makeup game is what saved their bacon.  They drop that, the MW would have been a one bid league.

Props to the Utags there.

Just now, thedude15 said:

Pretty sure they didn't wanna give the MW three teams in. I mean it would be one thing if we would have done a little better in the OOC BUT we didn't.

I know they say they judge each team independently but I don't believe it. MW ended up with 2 bids along with AAC, A10, MVC, and WCC. Only "power" conferences (power 5 plus Big East-which is a power conference in basketball) ended up with more than two bids. 

I mean it's hard to consider anyone else from those leagues snubs

1 minute ago, thedude15 said:

I'm shocked the AAC and MW both got two bids.  Thought for sure only Houston would go

1 minute ago, sebasour said:

Meh, the top 4 were deserving, and they had a bid stealer

Colorado State played SDSU tougher than UCLA did... 

In any case, congrats USU; can you hear all that extra MWC cash? Hopefully CSU sneaks in, too!

Just now, Koji Vu said:

Colorado State played SDSU tougher than UCLA did... 

In any case, congrats USU; can you hear all that extra MWC cash? Hopefully CSU sneaks in, too!

I mean that's dandy but the transitive property doesn't mean anything. 

3 minutes ago, sebasour said:

I mean that's dandy but the transitive property doesn't mean anything. 

The transitive property doesn't mean anything when it comes down to who will win a game but it is absolutely a thing when it comes to human bias, and that includes the humans that select college basketball and football tournaments. There's a reason why pro sports don't select playoff teams based upon eyeball tests.

4 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Nah it just means that there's quite a bit of "UCLA Bias" in the selection committee....

They seem to be less biased than the bracketologists, because every single one I saw not only had UCLA in, but avoiding Thursday

Just now, Spot50B said:

The transitive property doesn't mean anything when it comes down to who will win a game but it is absolutely a thing when it comes to human bias, and that includes the humans that select college basketball and football tournaments. There's a reason why pro sports don't select playoff teams based upon eyeball tests.

That doesn't apply here, since the transitive property in this case favors CSU

It’s a shame CSU didn’t get in, but they were very close. I think the MWC is getting more respect largely because of our TV contract where a big portion of our games can be seen nationally. It’s opened some eyes.

We need SDSU and USU to do well to keep the momentum going. Next year the MWC is going to be the best it’s been in many years. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us get 3-4 teams in the Dance.