Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

This Is Actually A Third Party Saying This

We will see.  I won’t believe it until I see it.

If it does, it WILL NOT be an established coach.  It will be somebody on the upswing.  Anyone who thinks otherwise has not paid any attention to DRF’s hiring decisions.

I fully expect it to be Todd Simon if TJ Otzelberger leaves.  If it is, I have zero doubt about his ability to recruit.  It’s a letter of turning it into wins.

18 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

If it does, it WILL NOT be an established coach.  It will be somebody on the upswing.  Anyone who thinks otherwise has not paid any attention to DRF’s hiring decisions.

I fully expect it to be Todd Simon if TJ Otzelberger leaves.  If it is, I have zero doubt about his ability to recruit.  It’s a letter of turning it into wins.

If they get the buyout money from Ames and we end up with Todd Simon it will be extremely disappointing. We could pay up to 2 mill a year.

7 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

If they get the buyout money from Ames and we end up with Todd Simon it will be extremely disappointing. We could pay up to 2 mill a year.

Who is UNLV going to get that is:

1) Going to take the job for $2 million per year

and 

2) Is worth $2 million per year (or more but would take below market value)?

I would contend nobody.  I could come up with at least 10 names for UNLV to consider.  All of them would be up and comers.

FWIW, I don’t believe that TJ Otzelberger is leaving.  But I wouldn’t discount the relationship factor.  LaVall Jordan was 11-24 (4-14) at Milwaukee in his lone season and was hired by Butler because he is an alum and is ingrained in their culture.

17 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Who is UNLV going to get that is:

1) Going to take the job for $2 million per year

and 

2) Is worth $2 million per year (or more but would take below market value)?

I would contend nobody.  I could come up with at least 10 names for UNLV to consider.  All of them would be up and comers.

FWIW, I don’t believe that TJ Otzelberger is leaving.  But I wouldn’t discount the relationship factor.  LaVall Jordan was 11-24 (4-14) at Milwaukee in his lone season and was hired by Butler because he is an alum and is ingrained in their culture.

Richard Pitino and Archie Miller will be available. They are both better hires then Todd Simon. They both would take the job. Rick Pitino would take the job.

1 minute ago, rebelcuff said:

Richard Pitino and Archie Miller will be available. They are both better hires then Todd Simon. They both would take the job. Rick Pitino would take the job.

No they’re not.  Especially Richard Pitino.

1 minute ago, rebelcuff said:

Like I said before, DRF DOES NOT hire retreads!  What part of that do you not understand?!

Just now, ph90702 said:

Like I said before, DRF DOES NOT hire retreads!  What part of that do you not understand?!

If TJ leaves and she doesn't get this hire right she is gone. She won't be an AD at a junior college if she doesn't get it right. You would think differently if it's your livelihood. It's up to her.

5 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

If TJ leaves and she doesn't get this hire right she is gone. She won't be an AD at a junior college if she doesn't get it right. You would think differently if it's your livelihood. It's up to her.

I will be proven right.  You’re like Charlie Brown thinking that Lucy won’t pull the football this time.

I just don't see TJ going to Iowa State now, but okay!

UNLV needs to figure out what UNLV wants do to, not necessarily giving it all up to one person if that's how things really go. Seriously, getting an assistant you plan to make head coach and grab a guy like Marshall, Ollie, or Pitino he could learn from.... .....

I'll believe TJ Otz is gone when it actually happens. No one in their right mind is hiring a coach with a 29-30 record at a high profile mid major job.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

The bullshitedness of that column is exemplified by having UCLA as the 7th best job in the country. Forty years ago it was the absolute best job in the country but things have changed dramatically since then even aside from John Wooden no longer being around. Back then the Pac8 was a very good conference. Now it's simply good. Back then the Bruins played at a constantly packed almost new Pauley Pavilion; now they play at a never sold out only modestly renovated old Pauley Pavilion. Because of UCLA's history, they always have a very good roster which allows for the possibility of going deep into the NCAAs. At the end of the 1975 season, UCLA had 10 NCAA championships. Almost half a century later, they have just 11 NCAA titles.

UNLV as an honorable mention? How 'bout UNLV as another has-been?

Nice article- it’s too bad UNLV is too impatient to build a program and in between has made some mediocre hires. Seems tome there’s a head coach at Oklahoma who is doing better than fair. Rice could recruit but he could not coach. Sometimes it’s difficult for the fans when they become spoiled by an HC like Tarkanian. We saw that here when Don Coryll moved on in football and UCLA with Wooden. 

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I will never watch a UNLV game as long as Todd Simon is coach. That's how bad he is.