Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Legendary boxing champion 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler dies at 66

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/legendary-boxing-champion-marvelous-marvin-hagler-dies-at-66/

A 1993 inductee to the International Boxing Hall of Fame, Hagler made 12 defenses of the undisputed middleweight title he held from 1980 to 1987. The native of Newark, New Jersey, who settled in Brockton, Massachusetts, as a teenager, went on to take part in a pair of the most memorable fights in the sport's history. 

Hagler (62-3-2, 52 KOs), a southpaw who switched stances with ease, stopped Thomas Hearns in the third round of their 1985 middleweight title bout known today simply as "The War." The fight was instantly hailed as one of the most exciting, violent and dramatic title fights boxing has ever produced. 

Round 1...The greatest three minutes in boxing history.

can someone embed the Top Rank video tweet?

thanks

I thought he was great in The War, but I was sure disappointed in the way he toyed with Sugar Ray for twelve rounds. He is still an all time great, but his legacy would have been even better if he would have just taken the fight to Leonard. I still think he won the fight, but he should have never tried to leave it in the hands of the judges. 

There's not too many of the old school boxers left from my youth. Marvin Hagler was really good. May he rest in peace.

55 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

I thought he was great in The War, but I was sure disappointed in the way he toyed with Sugar Ray for twelve rounds. He is still an all time great, but his legacy would have been even better if he would have just taken the fight to Leonard. I still think he won the fight, but he should have never tried to leave it in the hands of the judges. 

I remember that fight, too.  Not exactly a boxing aficionado, but a sports fan that just so happened to watch a decent amount of boxing back in the day.  That Hagler-Hearns Round One round was truly "epic".  I simply couldn't believe what I was watching.  Multiple blows that should've dropped the other.  From each fighter.  Just crazy...  

I had forgotten that the Middleweight division was so loaded back in the day.  I also remember the Hagler-Leonard fight.  I was a Leonard fan, sure (he had good charisma), but my distinct recollection while watching was that Hagler probably should have won. Sort of convincingly.  I remember not being "happy" about Leonard's decision, as my gut reaction was that Hagler got cheated...

Anyway, what a great fighter he was.  His amazing career record (62-3-2) speaks fro itself.  Majorly tough dude with a great chin.  RIP, Marvelous...

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/legendary-boxing-champion-marvelous-marvin-hagler-dies-at-66/

A 1993 inductee to the International Boxing Hall of Fame, Hagler made 12 defenses of the undisputed middleweight title he held from 1980 to 1987. The native of Newark, New Jersey, who settled in Brockton, Massachusetts, as a teenager, went on to take part in a pair of the most memorable fights in the sport's history. 

Hagler (62-3-2, 52 KOs), a southpaw who switched stances with ease, stopped Thomas Hearns in the third round of their 1985 middleweight title bout known today simply as "The War." The fight was instantly hailed as one of the most exciting, violent and dramatic title fights boxing has ever produced. 

thanks

Sad AF. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

thanks

1 hour ago, sjsbuff said:

I remember that fight, too.  Not exactly a boxing aficionado, but a sports fan that just so happened to watch a decent amount of boxing back in the day.  That Hagler-Hearns Round One round was truly "epic".  I simply couldn't believe what I was watching.  Multiple blows that should've dropped the other.  From each fighter.  Just crazy...  

I had forgotten that the Middleweight division was so loaded back in the day.  I also remember the Hagler-Leonard fight.  I was a Leonard fan, sure (he had good charisma), but my distinct recollection while watching was that Hagler probably should have won. Sort of convincingly.  I remember not being "happy" about Leonard's decision, as my gut reaction was that Hagler got cheated...

Anyway, what a great fighter he was.  His amazing career record (62-3-2) speaks fro itself.  Majorly tough dude with a great chin.  RIP, Marvelous...

America has always had a hard on for the heavy weights, but Hagler, Hearns and Leonard proved the real action is in the lower weight classes.

R.I.P.

May the boxing God's rectify the error of three boxing judges.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

America has always had a hard on for the heavy weights, but Hagler, Hearns and Leonard proved the real action is in the lower weight classes.

R.I.P.

May the boxing God's rectify the error of three boxing judges.

At that time  I felt the lower weight classes were getting their due. Some of the heavies have been among the best not so much lately. I believe that boxing has lost the appeal it had going into the 90’s and before.