Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Naggsty Butler

Your favorite Holy S*** moments from cinema *BEWARE OF SPOILERS*

I remember when I saw Rogue One in the theater, and the scene when Vader shows up at the end- The movie theater was stunned silence.

I can't remember too many movies where I have just been completely shocked or overwhelmed into silence by a scene. The Vader scene was probably the coolest thing I had ever seen in a movie. It was absolutely terrifying.

Another one was this scene from Departed

Everyone in the theater gasped at the same time.

And of course the amazing end of Gustavo Fring-

What about everyone else? What scenes left you too stunned for words?

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

Does it have to be strictly related to movies? The Red Wedding scene in Game of Thrones was a shocker for me. I never read the books, so I was part of that "oh shit!" group of show watchers. That was when Game of Thrones fully hit its stride and it makes me sad how the series completely fell off a cliff at the end. I have a hard time rewatching the earlier seasons because there was so much potential. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

22 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Does it have to be strictly related to movies? The Red Wedding scene in Game of Thrones was a shocker for me. I never read the books, so I was part of that "oh shit!" group of show watchers. That was when Game of Thrones fully hit its stride and it makes me sad how the series completely fell off a cliff at the end. I have a hard time rewatching the earlier seasons because there was so much potential. 

Definitely this. Even Ned Stark being beheaded in book one I thought I missed something and had to reread that section. The main character(s) has to be saved at the last second right?

Up in the air. Much lower stakes than the Departed or the Red Wedding, but you think you know where it’s going and you do not see it coming.

Rollo Tomasi

Sonny on the causeway

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

For me, and upon a moment or two of cinematic reflection, I think it was when the great white started chowing down on that cranky ship captain in Jaws.  It certainly didn't end well for the old codger.  To my fellow posters, the Sixth Sense (my immediate, knee-jee reaction) and the Red Wedding are two excellent choices as well...

Just now, sjsbuff said:

For me, I think it was when the great white started chowing down on that cranky old ship captain in Jaws.  It certainly didn't end well for that old codger.  To my fellow posters, the Sixth Sense (my immediate, knee-jee reaction) and the Red Wedding are two excellent choices as well...

Ah man, why couldn’t it have been Dreyfus instead.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

44 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Definitely this. Even Ned Stark being beheaded in book one I thought I missed something and had to reread that section. The main character(s) has to be saved at the last second right?

Ned getting it was mind blowing for me as well. “What do you mean that 8 year old girl didn’t fight off everyone to save the hero? What the hell am I reading?” 

9 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Ned getting it was mind blowing for me as well. “What do you mean that 8 year old girl didn’t fight off everyone to save the hero? What the hell am I reading?” 

Lol, right?? And it didn't even happen at the very end like the tv show, it happened 2/3rds the way through the book. After reading soany other sci-fi/fantasy fiction, I was so used to 'our heroes' always making it even if it was by the skin of their teeth. GRRM definitely threw that trope out the window.

Has anyone watched The Sinner on Netflix (originally on USA). Each season is 8 episodes and has a new cast except for the detective, which makes it like 3 unique stories.

Don't want to spoil anything, but oh boy does that first episode of season 1 make you say "holy shit". The rest of the show is filled with suspense and is really fantastic.

Another "oh shit!" ending that threw me for a loop was Final Destination 5 which turned out to be a prequel to the first Final Destination. I'm a sucker for teen slasher/horror films as I grew up with Halloween, Jason, and Freddy. The first two Final Destination movies were really good, but then it dropped off with 3 and 4. I was a little ho-hum that they were making another one, but holy hell Final Destination 5 was a wild ride and one of the best in the series.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

48 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

For me, and upon a moment or two of cinematic reflection, I think it was when the great white started chowing down on that cranky ship captain in Jaws.  It certainly didn't end well for the old codger.  To my fellow posters, the Sixth Sense (my immediate, knee-jee reaction) and the Red Wedding are two excellent choices as well...

47 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Ah man, why couldn’t it have been Dreyfus instead.

Listening to the podcast "the rewatchables" the actor who played the captain was drunk all the time on set too. And was a little cranky if I remember right.jaws GIF by hero0fwar

4 minutes ago, gold-n-brown said:

Listening to the podcast "the rewatchables" the actor who played the captain was drunk all the time on set too. And was a little cranky if I remember right.jaws GIF by hero0fwar

Robert Shaw was a legend.