Jump to content
UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

Maybe, just maybe UNLV finally ascends to some long term stability of high success under ckk. He's certainly making a ton of the right moves. I'm guessing the real payoff will be having LK and parts of his staff continuing to recruit the same guys they were already on at ou. The asst and players, relationships and targets from tx and the Midwest I'm certain there's some overlap there. 

UNLV just piggybacked years of program stability and recruiting with this hire and LKs retirement. 

Of course drf backed into all of this accidentally, but she will get a ton of credit for this even if her fbs guy flops. She will deserve credit too and I'm hoping she gets it! Then gets hired away after doing a soso not great job here, but hopefully setting the program up for an upgrade.

One can dream, but it does seem somewhat possible.

Exactly!  This is the Kruger's plan 100%, no if's, and's, or but's.  Give her the credit, ALL OF IT, get her gone!  Let Lon run the AD if he wants or on an interim basis while he finds the right person.  She had her resume out to other schools the day she got hired here.  Like I said we may have gotten really lucky.  Kevin loves Vegas, Lon and the family will be here.  Just hope, and cross everything(fingers, toes) that he succeeds, cause if he does, he's probably here for a while.  I heard him talk about moving around a few times when he was younger and that's not what he wants for his young one.

Love everything so far, no bullshitting around.  Going after kids he coached against, coached and some he recruited that he missed out on.  Knows what he wants, has a plan and they are executing it.  I just hope his number two, who was pops number two at OK hangs around for a while, really great coach and recruiter.  

Three weeks in and he has landed four(five w/Kaluma) 4* recruits/transfers with some big time games under their belts.  Not from conferences ranked below the MW like Burgers, but out of the big 12.  Grab that bad ass rim protector from Lamar, add a few shooters, and next year should be damn fun to watch and build off.  Cause the last 10 years or so have been BRUTAL!

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

 

Longest run on sentence I’ve ever seen. “Can’t wait to play for the best fans, even though I didn’t care about that when I left BFE, Iowa.” 
 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493byd1zs1q0gi8s2gk7jq8

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vegasmdr said:

Exactly!  This is the Kruger's plan 100%, no if's, and's, or but's.  Give her the credit, ALL OF IT, get her gone!  Let Lon run the AD if he wants or on an interim basis while he finds the right person.  She had her resume out to other schools the day she got hired here.  Like I said we may have gotten really lucky.  Kevin loves Vegas, Lon and the family will be here.  Just hope, and cross everything(fingers, toes) that he succeeds, cause if he does, he's probably here for a while.  I heard him talk about moving around a few times when he was younger and that's not what he wants for his young one.

Love everything so far, no bullshitting around.  Going after kids he coached against, coached and some he recruited that he missed out on.  Knows what he wants, has a plan and they are executing it.  I just hope his number two, who was pops number two at OK hangs around for a while, really great coach and recruiter.  

Three weeks in and he has landed four(five w/Kaluma) 4* recruits/transfers with some big time games under their belts.  Not from conferences ranked below the MW like Burgers, but out of the big 12.  Grab that bad ass rim protector from Lamar, add a few shooters, and next year should be damn fun to watch and build off.  Cause the last 10 years or so have been BRUTAL!

Personally I would let DRF’s contract expire and hire Sanchez as AD. Crappy football coach sure but the guy has local connections and can fundraise like crazy. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

When Hardy had to play point here he was out of position, he is not a PG. But his value isn’t in his outside shooting, it’s his ability to slash to the basket. There were times I was frustrated with Hardy while he was here but it was obvious we needed him last year when he was pushed out for the other players Otz brought in. That turned out to be a big mistake.

Definitely could of used him to bring the ball up this year.  A little token 3/4 press and teams would run 10 seconds off the clock before we could even try to get into the offense.  Forget about even trying to get out and run, no ball handlers so they had to slow it down every rime.  I liked Hardy when he was here, more than Hamilton.  I just like the kids Kevin is bringing in now better.  They have been competing at a higher level and should excel like most of the transfers from power fives Lon brought in when he was here.  Moser, Stanbeck, BDJ, Jasper, etc.. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Personally I would let DRF’s contract expire and hire Sanchez as AD. Crappy football coach sure but the guy has local connections and can fundraise like crazy. 

Absolutely.  Also would be a real solid guy to bring in as well.  Lon's been around college sports longer, so let him fix it and get rid of the toxic environment a couple years, then have Sanchez come in and not have to deal with bull shit on day one.  Could just concentrate on fundraising and keeping the riff raff out, that has plagued UNLV athletics since they fkd Tark over.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lon will be 69 before next season starts. He is retiring to a certain extent to help his son get off to a good start here. Being that age and retiring I can say that he will have zero desire to take over the AD. He will have his hands full as a special assistant to the coach.
 

This is turning out to be a very well conceived plan to rebuild  UNLV. That was the plan when he was a coach here but that was cut short by not paying for value received. This time around Kevin with assistance from Lon and the Rebel staff will get it done. What we are seeing looks to be well thought out and conceived. Normally that doesn’t happen this fast. Kevin is signed, Lon Retires freeing up Coach Hartman and then 4 Big12 transfers. The next month or so will be very interesting as the remainder of the team is assembled.t

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Lon will be 69 before next season starts. He is retiring to a certain extent to help his son get off to a good start here. Being that age and retiring I can say that he will have zero desire to take over the AD. He will have his hands full as a special assistant to the coach.
 

This is turning out to be a very well conceived plan to rebuild  UNLV. That was the plan when he was a coach here but that was cut short by not paying for value received. This time around Kevin with assistance from Lon and the Rebel staff will get it done. What we are seeing looks to be well thought out and conceived. Normally that doesn’t happen this fast. Kevin is signed, Lon Retires freeing up Coach Hartman and then 4 Big12 transfers. The next month or so will be very interesting as the remainder of the team is assembled.t

With the exception of keeping Tim Buckley, everything has been good so far.  The only thing I will say though is that we shouldn’t build with majority transfers long-term.  For year one when you have to overhaul the roster, it’s fine though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

With the exception of keeping Tim Buckley, everything has been good so far.  The only thing I will say though is that we shouldn’t build with majority transfers long-term.  For year one when you have to overhaul the roster, it’s fine though.

These types of transfers are okay in my book because they all seem to be known to the staff, that makes them different than the transfers of the past.

I hope they ink Muoka, Ihenacho and Manek to go with the guys now here and maybe bring back Hamilton, Jenkins and Mbacke too round out the “new” look Runnin Rebels.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Lon will be 69 before next season starts. He is retiring to a certain extent to help his son get off to a good start here. Being that age and retiring I can say that he will have zero desire to take over the AD. He will have his hands full as a special assistant to the coach.
 

This is turning out to be a very well conceived plan to rebuild  UNLV. That was the plan when he was a coach here but that was cut short by not paying for value received. This time around Kevin with assistance from Lon and the Rebel staff will get it done. What we are seeing looks to be well thought out and conceived. Normally that doesn’t happen this fast. Kevin is signed, Lon Retires freeing up Coach Hartman and then 4 Big12 transfers. The next month or so will be very interesting as the remainder of the team is assembled.t

Completely agree.  BUT, and it's a big one.  Lon has to stomp out. weed out, clean house, whatever you wanna call it with the boosters and the athletic department.  Just to make sure Kevin doesn't get bogged down with the same bullshit Lon/Dave had to deal with.  Kevin makes UNLV a top 25 program again with some tourney appearances and a run or two here and there, then Kevin can go anything in this town for the rest of his life.  Lon is fully aware of how dysfunctional UNLV is.  If Kevin is to succeed here and then want to stay, Lon knows he has to get rid of all the infighting that is UNLV BB.

I'm sure they have been working on this for at least a few month's, once ISU went into the shitter and it was clear Burger was gone.  Top of Lon's list for Kevin to succeed had to be, get in there and mend fences and stop the infighting, dysfunction that has been UNLV BB.  IF he(Lon) can stop the dysfunction, then Kevin is set up for success here. and not just a little success, big time success.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 of the 4 transfers will have 2 or 3 years of eligibility remaining. Hamm is the only senior. I don’t believe that CKK will be going all in on the transfer market but he’d be crazy not to take advantage of it from time to time especially this year to build a foundation or fill a hole. Building with multi year players add experience and maturity to that foundation. The first few months out of the gate will set the tone for the future. So far I like it but we’ll see come November.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...