Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Damn. He might have been the difference. I think Kevin is going to have to show what he can do before he gets any kids of this caliber. There is definitely something to be said for hiring someone who has actually, you know, coached before.

Perhaps Pop Pop will eventually transfer to UNLV. These things tend to work out.  

5 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Mark Adams has been in the game a long time, but  The guy hasn't been a D1 head coach since the mid 90s w/ his 44-90 stint at Texas-Pan American (wut) He's just the only guy that didn't get on the plane to Austin w/ Beard.

That makes it even worse, I seriously couldn't even remember who they hired when Beard bailed, and didn't even bother to look it up.

Well, go rebs, I guess.

This is the beginning of the CKK Era. He’ll need to earn his own bona fides. That’s fine. I believe that this staff and support personnel were put together with proper insight into what is needed to be successful at UNLV and in the MWC. Kevin is ready for this next step. 

I’ll just go by what he can do with the items listed below.   VVVVV

18 minutes ago, qwelish said:

High school recruiting not looking so hot. 

Hopefully CKK stays hot with portal recruiting.

Wonder how much the portal recruiting is the route to a quick fix - Sort of the 2020's version of the 1980's JC recruiting - Tark made hay with the JC's in the 1980's 

47 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Wonder how much the portal recruiting is the route to a quick fix - Sort of the 2020's version of the 1980's JC recruiting - Tark made hay with the JC's in the 1980's 

If I was a HC right now I wouldn't waste time on HS prospects who are an unknown quantity and will likely leave in 1-2-3 years if/when they actually improve by coaching them up.  Just go after the know quality ringers in the portal.  Hardly anyone stays all 4-5 years anymore. 

49 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

JC players are a thing again. Seemingly moreso than prep.

Not really sure if it actually ever went anywhere, honestly. 

4 minutes ago, 702Canary said:

If I was a HC right now I wouldn't waste time on HS prospects who are an unknown quantity and will likely leave in 1-2-3 years if/when they actually improve by coaching them up.  Just go after the know quality ringers in the portal.  Hardly anyone stays all 4-5 years anymore. 

Good point, especially if the HS recruit isn't a "can't miss" recruit - The D-1 experience could be a major factor for leaning to transfers 

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

JC players are a thing again. Seemingly moreso than prep.

Not really sure if it actually ever went anywhere, honestly. 

When the prep schools thing blew up in the mid 90's Oak Hill Academy etc, the JC's started becoming less of a factor ......Tark's teams were loaded with impact JC's who got UNLV to final fours..........I can hardly name a major impact JC that played at UNLV since 2000 

Armen Gilliam, Larry Johnson, David Butler, Shawn Marion, were 4 major impact JC's at UNLV in the 80's 90's - Can't think of any UNLV JC transfer that even comes close in a lot of years 

24 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

When the prep schools thing blew up in the mid 90's Oak Hill Academy etc, the JC's started becoming less of a factor ......Tark's teams were loaded with impact JC's who got UNLV to final fours..........I can hardly name a major impact JC that played at UNLV since 2000 

Armen Gilliam, Larry Johnson, David Butler, Shawn Marion, were 4 major impact JC's at UNLV in the 80's 90's - Can't think of any UNLV JC transfer that even comes close in a lot of years 

Left out Fred Haygood and Sean Loughran.  LOL jk. 

Evric Gray, Mo Scurry, Melvin Love, Dedan all top guys

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

The SEC and ACC have sent a few guys to the nba from JC. I think Beard from Texas has signed a few and CKK also picked up a JC.

I thought Anthony Smith could have been a good player but MM ran him off.

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Wendell White was a juco guy.

9 hours ago, qwelish said:

High school recruiting not looking so hot. 

Hopefully CKK stays hot with portal recruiting.

still early in the process.