Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

16 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Mbacke Diong is off to UCF.

He wanted a shot at a NCAA Tournament so he goes to UCF? Sub .500 program whose pinnacle achievement in 52 years of basketball is 1 Round of 32 appearance in the history of their program

LOLOLOLOL DING DONG indeed

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/may/12/analysis-is-jordan-mccabe-unlvs-point-guard-of-the/

Analysis: Is Jordan McCabe UNLV’s point guard of the present?

So what is UNLV getting in McCabe? He never lived up to lofty expectations at West Virginia, averaging just 3.8 points and 1.9 assists in his three years under Bob Huggins, but there are some traits that suggest he could fit better with the scarlet and gray.

Tough to tell whether most of these guys can step up their game. Most were P5 players so they had tougher competition in practice and in games. Most were primarily bench players so their play respectively didn’t beat out other team members. Maybe their experience and athleticism at this level translates better. Putting everyone together is a big task for this new staff. 

We won’t know much till mid-December.

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

for 5 minutes a game?

Florida State is a much better program.  And his stated goal was to get to the NCAA Tournament.  45% of power conference teams make the tournament each year.

Like the guy who wouldn't let his neighbor borrow a tool because he was having fried chicken for dinner. 

When his friend asked what fried chicken had to do with anything he stated..." when you are looking for an excuse,  any one will do ".

31 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Like the guy who wouldn't let his neighbor borrow a tool because he was having fried chicken for dinner. 

When his friend asked what fried chicken had to do with anything he stated..." when you are looking for an excuse,  any one will do ".

Definitely paints the picture of how miserable of a situation this team was in. Just about every single player had a "anywhere but here" mentality with UNLV in the portal. As you said, M'backe was looking for any excuse to get out. 

Bad part is Kevin was  big part of that culture as the assistant HC...even let Mr. negativity" Buckley stick around...was Otzelberger eyeing Iowa St while Prohm was fizzling out that he was so disinterested he was a cancer to the team?

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Guest #1Stunner
23 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Definitely paints the picture of how miserable of a situation this team was in. Just about every single player had a "anywhere but here" mentality with UNLV in the portal. As you said, M'backe was looking for any excuse to get out. 

Bad part is Kevin was  big part of that culture as the assistant HC...even let Mr. negativity" Buckley stick around...was Otzelberger eyeing Iowa St while Prohm was fizzling out that he was so disinterested he was a cancer to the team?

You aren't lying that UNLV is the most popular school in the MWC.

This thread is long already.

Guest #1Stunner
On 5/11/2021 at 11:56 AM, ph90702 said:

UNLV has a brand new roster, and it will take a little bit of time to get things going.

Love what you are doing with the colored font!

51 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Everyone always wants to speculate about everything and it usually revolves around supporting their own point of view. Teams usually turn over with a coaching change and with the events of this past year the transfer portal is chocked full of players coming from good stable teams as well. 

TJO had a better than expected first year and the entire country had a crappy year in every sport this past year. We’ll never know what he was capable of although from what I saw he wasn’t the guy that we needed but he was great on the resale market. 

Im hoping, as usual, that CKK is capable of building and coaching a solid fundamentally strong and defense first style of basketball team. We’ve already seen a definite change of style and type of player being recruited. Now it’s all about what this staff can do in building structure and continuity. We’ll know more as the season starts and as we see freshman recruiting begin. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

You aren't lying that UNLV is the most popular school in the MWC.

This thread is long already.

Viscount  @Jeffkills better hope UNLV doesn't get their Pac-12 invite too soon! This board will be deader than disco without UNLV fans. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

3 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

I’m not going lay it all on TJO, it was an odd year, Covid hit the team hard in multiple ways. Just not enough practice to get players up to speed and also the players didn’t really condition themselves or work on their game as much as they should have. I think for everyone involved with last season needed a fresh start anywhere they could land. 

TJO has been eyeing the ISU job since before he took the South Dakota job. When he came to UNLV, one of his first acts/calls was to Lon Kruger to talk about Kevin and him being an assistant at UNLV. I have no doubt that the conversation was “look i need a guy with local ties to alumni and HS coaches here. I’m going to get this program up and running, when the time comes for me to take the Iowa State job, Kevin can take over.” 

The way the “search” went and how quickly things evolved in just a short time with Lon retiring, staff filled up, players already committed to UNLV etc. It was all obviously planned and prepared for, and some of that was TJO. These guys (TJO, Lon, Kevin, DRF etc) all have phone conversations, mutual friends and talk/speculate.

Its human nature and no different when we talk with family/coworkers at a bbq/gathering. “Hey is initech your dream job? Not really, initrode is. Oh really, my friend Bob works there....” and that’s how it starts. 

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

I’m not going lay it all on TJO, it was an odd year, Covid hit the team hard in multiple ways. Just not enough practice to get players up to speed and also the players didn’t really condition themselves or work on their game as much as they should have. I think for everyone involved with last season needed a fresh start anywhere they could land. 

TJO has been eyeing the ISU job since before he took the South Dakota job. When he came to UNLV, one of his first acts/calls was to Lon Kruger to talk about Kevin and him being an assistant at UNLV. I have no doubt that the conversation was “look i need a guy with local ties to alumni and HS coaches here. I’m going to get this program up and running, when the time comes for me to take the Iowa State job, Kevin can take over.” 

The way the “search” went and how quickly things evolved in just a short time with Lon retiring, staff filled up, players already committed to UNLV etc. It was all obviously planned and prepared for, and some of that was TJO. These guys (TJO, Lon, Kevin, DRF etc) all have phone conversations, mutual friends and talk/speculate.

Its human nature and no different when we talk with family/coworkers at a bbq/gathering. “Hey is initech your dream job? Not really, initrode is. Oh really, my friend Bob works there....” and that’s how it starts. 

According to the Cyclone Fanatic, fwiw, TJ was considered as head coach at Iowa St while an assistant, but the AD ended up wanting TJ to have experience as a head coach first. It was down to him and Prohm. The AD, who is TJs friend, told him to get some experience, and that he was up next.