Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

10 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Are they holding it for Bryce? 

I’d like to see what he could do under CKK’s system. He’d finally be expected to play defense and with the addition of much better athletes on this year’s  team to work with he could generate much more efficient numbers. Either way I wish him the best.

35 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

For Starters, Grimala thinks it will be:  Mike Nuga, Justin Webster, Josh Baker, Nick Blake and David Muoka.

I hope he is wrong because I don't like that starting five at all.

This lineup would be like a Villanova type starting 5, with 4 guys who can handle the ball, create off the dribble, shoot the 3 and finish at the rim.  Not a bad model to follow. 

I like this mindset, UNLV would be able to put its best foot forward come game number 1 this winter!

23 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

For Starters, Grimala thinks it will be:  Mike Nuga, Justin Webster, Josh Baker, Nick Blake and David Muoka.

I hope he is wrong because I don't like that starting five at all.

You can't win in this conference with that lineup.  JC numbers don't always translate.  After watching "T-Go" last year, I'm wary of Big West stats too.  That league isn't very good.   Reading the linked LV Sun article, it sounds like  Kruger went out and got a bunch of bench guys and "defenders", which as everyone who follows basketball knows is shorthand for "can't shoot".

I don't think you guys have enough, at all. Kruger should have just bit the bullet and chased some HS kids.  There's value there because of COVID and everyone else chasing transfers.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

15 minutes ago, 303Rebel said:

This lineup would be like a Villanova type starting 5, with 4 guys who can handle the ball, create off the dribble, shoot the 3 and finish at the rim.  Not a bad model to follow. 

I like this mindset, UNLV would be able to put its best foot forward come game number 1 this winter!

If we have a starting five made up of a transfer from horrible Hawaii, a Southland bum, some JC kid who can shoot and little else, a guy who did nothing on the Rebels team last year and Mike Nuga (who can barely walk right now) we are in deep trouble.

I want the studs not the duds.

30 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

You can't win in this conference with that lineup.  JC numbers don't always translate.  After watching "T-Go" last year, I'm wary of Big West stats too.  That league isn't very good.   Reading the linked LV Sun article, it sounds like  Kruger went out and got a bunch of bench guys and "defenders", which as everyone who follows basketball knows is shorthand for "can't shoot".

I don't think you guys have enough, at all. Kruger should have just bit the bullet and chased some HS kids.  There's value there because of COVID and everyone else chasing transfers.

He will go after HS players starting with the 2022 class.  And he got a few really good defenders.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COb_aY_lnCc/?igshid=1v7ytv26l41mx

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

He will go after HS players starting with the 2022 class.  And he got a few really good defenders.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COb_aY_lnCc/?igshid=1v7ytv26l41mx

You need five "really good defenders" on the court at the same time.  All it takes is one "bad" defender and guess what?  You have a bad defense. 

Recruiting defense is stupid.

Defense is effort, technique and scheme.  Even bad players can play good defense

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Also, UNLV AD DRF who is doing a wonderful job (Football lost every game, Basketball coach quit) just allowed unr to win the Silver State Series outright for the first time in the history of it.  Wonderful job.  Somebody give her a raise and extension!  Oh wait.

Congrats to unr on the big win, first time ever outright.

Silver.State.Series.png.e293dea8e6a81308f5110773a02dbc87.png

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Also, UNLV AD DRF who is doing a wonderful job (Football lost every game, Basketball coach quit) just allowed unr to win the Silver State Series outright for the first time in the history of it.  Wonderful job.  Somebody give her a raise and extension!  Oh wait.

Congrats to unr on the big win, first time ever outright.

Silver.State.Series.png.e293dea8e6a81308f5110773a02dbc87.png

TBH getting paid for losing Otz softens the blow for the shitty football season. Definitely need a lot of patience right now as a Rebel. Everything with FB and MBB is still up in the air. Pretty much year one of both new coaches. At least there is hope to sit in at games this year. 

BTW, thanks for posting all of the Rebel news lately.