Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Was he any less experienced than the guy you just hired to be HC?

No. I wasn’t happy about that hire, either.  I do think that in the end he’ll be a much better coach, with his dads help, than Rice was. 

5 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'd still put my money on KK. 

Dave is a nice guy and a good recruiter.  He's also probably a very good asst.  He just doesn't have the demeanor to be a HC, IMO.

image.png.d17e3e7bd26586a3a21db9d74356e6c6.png

Yep. Any HEAD COACH that lets Heath Schroyer take the whiteboard from you and draw up a play in a critical timeout (and use you as a table as you meekly pretend to read something) is definitely lacking the HC "goods"

Baby Kruger has the pedigree without general sense that the apple fell far from the tree (like with baby Pitino) UNLV's hiring strategy of going with the cheapest, least experienced candidate has to pan out eventually..right.......riiiiight?

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

A solid defender, he looks smooth when extended the D.  I anticipate he could easily slow down forwards like the kid from CSU among others in the MWC.

He might be able to neutralize most PF’s he faces.

Defense Defense Defense

That is the future of this team’s success. Victor moves his feet well and quickly. Help defense should be much better this year. 4 1/2 months till we see what the entire squad looks like. It will be a long summer waiting without knowing because everything will be new.

Iwuakor looks to be very raw still. With more PT maybe he can develop faster. Sounds like he has had trouble with fouls and that has limited his PT. 

Iwuakor is a chiseled specimen at 6-foot-7, and the former 3-star recruit was once rated as the No. 27 center in the country coming out of high school. Just from the dissonance created by his height and position, you can probably guess that Iwuakor can really jump. That would be an accurate assumption, as he is a plus athlete who uses his athleticism to defend taller players in the paint.

https://lasvegassun.com//news/2021/jun/16/analysis-can-victor-iwuakor-shore-up-unlvs-interio/

2 hours ago, 303Rebel said:

Man I hope not!  Morgan was a huge disappointment at UNLV.

When DM was here the coaching staff was pretty dysfunctional. With his excessive fouling in his freshman year the bloom was off the rose and he seemed to be relegated to a backup and the staff still focused on the more talented players especially when it came to PT. 

On 6/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, 303Rebel said:

Man I hope not!  Morgan was a huge disappointment at UNLV.

Admit for the recruiting rankings he didn't come close to being what was hoped - Not a bust, but certainly not the caliber of 4/5* he was rated as 

19 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Admit for the recruiting rankings he didn't come close to being what was hoped - Not a bust, but certainly not the caliber of 4/5* he was rated as 

Isn't that the definition of a bust? 🤔

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Isn't that the definition of a bust? 🤔

Bust would mean he was a complete failure - like Ryan Leaf in the NFL or Anthony Bennett in the NBA where they never got going at all 

Morgan had some decent moments but he was never consistent of a go to guy 

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Bust would mean he was a complete failure - like Ryan Leaf in the NFL 

Morgan had some decent moments but he was never consistent of a go to guy 

When you're a five star recruit and wind up at a Big Sky school as a role player, it's hard not to say that you're a complete failure.

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

When you're a five star recruit and wind up at a Big Sky school as a role player, it's hard not to say that you're a complete failure.

Have you played any D-1 basketball games in your life..?

17 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

That’s completely irrelevant to the argument.

No..you are completely irrelevant to the argument..This young man can hardly be called a complete failure by any metric.  Recruiting sites certainly over rated him with their stupid star system. That is not his fault.  Lots of players have struggled under the coaches UNLV has had lately.  He found his niche and I assume is a college graduate.  That is not failure..