Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

19 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

UNLV does need another wing with Blake gone. Hamilton has some bigtime suitors...hard to see him turning them down to stay at UNLV after the season they had. Bryce Hamilton and his mom were fiercely loyal to Otz too. But Hamilton does know he'll never get as many FGA he got at UNLV anywhere else. He averaged 17 shots per game....next highest was 16 w/ Richard Washington at SJSU and then UNR's Grant Sherfield and Desmond Cambridge with 13.8 and 13.6 shots per game. Insane... and Boise St fans thought Alston Jr was too much of a ballhog averaging 12.8 shots per game. 

Depaul got the Minnie transfer Brandon Johnson so UNLV whiffed on that one. What's left in the portal? 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/30820857/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2021-22

25. Marcus Bagley, 6-8, 215 lbs., PF, Fr., Arizona State

Bagley had a lot of buzz entering the season after a terrific high school campaign and had 15.7 points, 5.3 rebounds and 50% shooting from 3 in his first three games. But he played just nine games the rest of the season due to injuries.  UNLV recruited him in High School.

37. Bryce Hamilton, 6-4, 205 lbs., SG, Jr., UNLV

Hamilton was second-team All-Mountain West after averaging 17.9 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists. He's a big-time scorer. Some schools linked to him have been Oregon, Kansas, UConn and Kentucky.  Coach Hartman and Bryce Hamilton just followed each other on twitter so this is likely a done deal to UNLV.

58. Moussa Cisse, 6-10, 220 lbs., C, Fr., Memphis

A former five-star prospect in the 2020 class, Cisse reclassified last May and was expected to make a major impact defensively at Memphis. He struggled offensively, however, and ultimately averaged 6.6 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.6 blocks.

64. Jordan Brown, 6-11, 235 lbs., PF, Soph., Arizona

Brown looks to be headed to his third school after starting his career at Nevada and then going to Arizona. Averaged 9.4 points and 5.2 rebounds in just 19.6 minutes last season.

96. Bryson Williams, 6-8, 228 lbs., PF, Sr., UTEP

Williams was an interesting entry to the portal. He followed Rodney Terry from Fresno State to UTEP earlier in his career, and now Terry has left UTEP to become an assistant at Texas. The third-team all-league forward averaged 15.1 points and 7.4 rebounds.  Likely will go to Texas.

ALONDES WILLIAMS from OU

C594BFE8-55AC-47B5-8CA8-06E2298BA35B.jpeg.c8572e9533d90e5d74c0f719950aeb7a.jpeg

Time to get back to reality. It seems that CKK will schedule up. 2 weeks into the season .

This season your Runnin' Rebels will participate in the 2021 Roman Main Event, a four-team basketball tournament benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer, November 19-21 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. UNLV, Arizona, Michigan and Wichita State will participate in the tournament, 

37 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Time to get back to reality. It seems that CKK will schedule up. 2 weeks into the season .

Yeah we have UCLA and Cal at the T&M.  UNLV should be working to make sure that UCLA game is a sellout right now, I would hand out 200,000 tickets for free for that game just to make sure we have 20,000 in the T&M with standing room only.  UCLA needs an ass kicking and no way we let that weasel Cronin beat us again.

GIVE THE TICKETS AWAY for that game and give away hundreds of thousands of them throughout the valley.  Make sure it is free tark white towel and free RED T'shirt night and get a sponsor to make that shit happen.  ONE GAME SELLOUT 20,000 to rock the house and show the world what real Runnin' Rebel Basketball is all about.  The recruits need to know, the coaches never have seen the house full.  I can barely remember what it is like.  PACK THE MACK. 

DRF will screw this up.  She has no idea what she is doing.

rebelrobert.png.9c21980eea565a295be30b2722ca7216.png

54 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

I could be wrong, but wasn't this set up before Kruger became coach? At any rate, I'm glad to see it.

11 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

In 1988-89 Tark only had four players (Chris Jeter, Stacey Cvijanovich, Stacey Augmon & Keith James) return from the 1987-88 team.

Tark brought in 10 new guys

Not exactly.  Greg Anthony, Anderson Hunt, James Jones, and Barry Young were there for the '87-'88 school year and practicing but not eligible for games.  Those four along with Augmon and Keith James would be a first six that would be a defensive matchup nightmare for most modern era teams.

26 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Not exactly.  Greg Anthony, Anderson Hunt, James Jones, and Barry Young were there for the '87-'88 school year and practicing but not eligible for games.  Those four along with Augmon and Keith James would be a first six that would be a defensive matchup nightmare for most modern era teams.

I knew Greg Anthony was there for his redshirt year but I didn’t know the rest of those guys were.  How many guys could they carry in those days?  They had 13 on the roster plus those other four sitting out?  Wow that is a lot of guys that Jerry had ready to go!

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

I knew Greg Anthony was there for his redshirt year but I didn’t know the rest of those guys were.  How many guys could they carry in those days?  They had 13 on the roster plus those other four sitting out?  Wow that is a lot of guys that Jerry had ready to go!

The mid '80s until early '90s was the era of "Proposition 48".  There were a lot of new terms like "partial qualifier", "non-qualifier", and "Prop 48 casualty".  Non-qualifiers made the JUCOs loaded with talent (not sure if LJ was one, but I think so).   Partial qualifiers were "Prop 48 redshirts" like Anderson Hunt (probably Barry Young but not sure on James Jones since I though he was previously a JUCO) who were usually on "non-athletic" financial aid their two freshmen semesters, then went on athletic scholarship by the end of the spring semester.

Most likely Greg Anthony was a walk-on that red-shirt season.  He was a local.

Sounds like a numbers game. Staff probably told Blake he won’t get as much playing time as he thought with someone coming in (probably Hamilton returning) hence the mutual agreement to part ways. 

Caleb Grill- Honorary MWC Board  King of the World poster.....LOL

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/article250634599.html

“I kind of want to get out of here,” Grill said. “We don’t really live in the nicest area of Vegas and it’s 18 hours away from home. The fan support out here is also brutal. I get ruthless (direct messages) from fans all the time that expect a little too much of us because they went to the Final Four in the 90s. They still expect that every year. People, in general, are just rude out here.”

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

56 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

“I kind of want to get out of here,” Grill said. “We don’t really live in the nicest area of Vegas and it’s 18 hours away from home. The fan support out here is also brutal. I get ruthless (direct messages) from fans all the time that expect a little too much of us because they went to the Final Four in the 90s. They still expect that every year. People, in general, are just rude out here.”

Caleb was just being honest.  Apparently, 10 other guys felt the same way. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

crybaby.jpg.2d8b0e7114a985482e97fd39bc3281de.jpg

8 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

crybaby.jpg.2d8b0e7114a985482e97fd39bc3281de.jpg

A good reminder for everyone. Anyone leaving UNLV is a lazy bum that is terrible and won't do well at any other school.  Any transfer or new recruit coming in had 6000 P5 offers and put the McDonalds in All American that will be an NBA All Star..

32 minutes ago, utenation said:

A good reminder for everyone. Anyone leaving UNLV is a lazy bum that is terrible and won't do well at any other school.  Any transfer or new recruit coming in had 6000 P5 offers and put the McDonalds in All American that will be an NBA All Star..

Perhaps this former Rebel - who never played for UNLV because of injuries - might change that bum narrative if he's healthy?  UC Riverside has quietly picked things up in recent years.  :hmmm:

Ey92gU5VgAIZCBc.jpg

12 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Perhaps this former Rebel - who never played for UNLV because of injuries - might change that bum narrative if he's healthy?  UC Riverside has quietly picked things up in recent years.  :hmmm:

Ey92gU5VgAIZCBc.jpg

He didn’t play because he sucked.  After he didn’t get in a game by December, it was obvious he was never gonna play.

12 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He didn’t play because he sucked.  After he didn’t get in a game by December, it was obvious he was never gonna play.

Looks like conditioning issues more than anything else.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2021/mar/24/donavan-yap-is-first-unlv-player-to-enter-transfer/

Martinez, a 6-foot-11 center, also did not play as a freshman, with a source attributing his lack of playing time to Martinez not being able to pass the team's regular conditioning tests during the season.

:shrug:

16 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Sounds like a numbers game. Staff probably told Blake he won’t get as much playing time as he thought with someone coming in (probably Hamilton returning) hence the mutual agreement to part ways. 

I heard he got into some trouble, but who knows if it's true.