Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

41 minutes ago, FredHaygood said:

Problem is that all the good wings in the portal are gone. Also they couldn't close on Brandon Johnson as he just went to Depaul. Only player they were able to keep is Reece Brown lmaooooo 

Reece Brown was off dealing with family issues this spring that would have taken priority over him looking for another school and it definitely would have been a bad look for the staff to run him off.  Hopefully Brown gets another year at UNLV.  He's had by far the roughest year of anyone associated with the program.

2 hours ago, FredHaygood said:

Problem is that all the good wings in the portal are gone. Also they couldn't close on Brandon Johnson as he just went to Depaul. Only player they were able to keep is Reece Brown lmaooooo 

Alondes Williams from OU is 6’5” tall and would be a nice replacement for Blake.  I think he started 10 games (for a Top 10 OU team) this year and had 15 points vs. Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament.  Is he still available.  I think he just graduated from OU a day or two ago.

Maybe coach Hartman or Kruger knows him?  

FBFA93B9-ED9E-4C82-8C35-C696A429846A.jpeg.5008a88218abb9189adbce004e1b6114.jpeg

53 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Alondes Williams from OU is 6’5” tall and would be a nice replacement for Blake.  I think he started 10 games (for a Top 10 OU team) this year and had 15 points vs. Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament.  Is he still available.  I think he just graduated from OU a day or two ago.

Maybe coach Hartman or Kruger knows him?  

FBFA93B9-ED9E-4C82-8C35-C696A429846A.jpeg.5008a88218abb9189adbce004e1b6114.jpeg

I forgot about him. He's been in the portal for over a month. If it was going to happen it would have happened by now IMO

Did Krueger not have one player on the roster that was good enough to get minutes and also like him? 

The roster turnover seems odd considering they hired him for stability.  Turnover was greatly needed but you think there would have been a core of 3 players or so that were bought in.

It's very obvious a coaching change was needed and the Rebs hit the jackpot with a buy out.  

Go Knights!

6 minutes ago, FredHaygood said:

I forgot about him. He's been in the portal for over a month. If it was going to happen it would have happened by now IMO

Maybe he had to graduate first before deciding?

So since he didn't 'enter the portal' I'm guessing Nick broke some rules or has academic issues.. I was hoping he'd be around next year, but whatever.

And I realize Bryce is testing the NBA waters, but did he also enter the portal? Or would he be returning if he doesn't stay in the draft?

Just now, 4UNLV said:

So since he didn't 'enter the portal' I'm guessing Nick broke some rules or has academic issues.. I was hoping he'd be around next year, but whatever.

And I realize Bryce is testing the NBA waters, but did he also enter the portal? Or would he be returning if he doesn't stay in the draft?

Something isn’t right.  He would’ve entered the portal by now.  And the press release would’ve read differently.

1 hour ago, packNV said:

Did Krueger not have one player on the roster that was good enough to get minutes and also like him? 

The roster turnover seems odd considering they hired him for stability.  Turnover was greatly needed but you think there would have been a core of 3 players or so that were bought in.

It's very obvious a coaching change was needed and the Rebs hit the jackpot with a buy out.  

Go Knights!

If roster stability was a factor for DRF in hiring Kurger it was a miscalculation - For starters, not sure how many 20/21 roster players were really wanted to stick around........think maybe 3 were players that UNLV could use in 21/22 - Blake would have been one of the three or four who we thought could return 

For the most part,from my armature perspective. there wasn't a lot of guys from last year that I would really want to remain .......TJO's roster was that lacking :unsure:

35 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Being that we are in Mid to later May 2021.......I think Bryce Hamilton should be nearing a decision soon,.........I've always said the NBA is a dream for him at this point, so he's got to be close to a transfer or returning to UNLV.

Hamilton probably needs to make a decision on what college he playing at, especially if he wants NBA opportunities 

Nowhere was it written that CKK was hired for the purpose of roster stability. Stability in the program is needed. We now have 11 commits from players that have chosen to play for this program with this staff. 2 scholarships remaining to be filled. Next...

43 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Nowhere was it written that CKK was hired for the purpose of roster stability. Stability in the program is needed. We now have 11 commits from players that have chosen to play for this program with this staff. 2 scholarships remaining to be filled. Next...

In 1988-89 Tark only had four players (Chris Jeter, Stacey Cvijanovich, Stacey Augmon & Keith James) return from the 1987-88 team.

Tark brought in 10 new guys and that was my favorite UNLV Basketball team of all time!  Beat #1 Arizona in the Sweet 16.  Would have won the National Championship if PJ Carlesimo wasn't paying Pros to be on his College team.

My point is that change isn't always a bad thing.  Quickdraw is right in saying that we want players at UNLV who want to be Rebels.  Kruger has to get rid of them if they are only about themselves or looking to hurt the team/program.  This is not like in the early 2000's College Basketball where you were unable to replace lost players, with the Transfer Portal (the greatest thing to ever happen for UNLV) our program can replace Freshman recruits who don't work out with EXPERIENCED TALENTED PLAYERS from Major Conferences who are mature and know what it takes to play at the highest level.

Losing guys is not bad for us.  We will replace him with someone much better, if not we will replace them again next year!

Transfer Portal if used properly will return UNLV Basketball to prominence and right after that comes dominance!

Hunt_1989.jpg.9a0d679cb91eac72b68e94cc3976b852.jpg

15 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Maybe go after Bryce Hamilton again when he gets rejected from the NBA draft combine?  Offer him whatever he wants?

And find a big guy!

Bryce Hamilton and Coach Hartman just followed eachother on twitter

1 hour ago, FredHaygood said:

Bryce Hamilton and Coach Hartman just followed eachother on twitter

UNLV does need another wing with Blake gone. Hamilton has some bigtime suitors...hard to see him turning them down to stay at UNLV after the season they had. Bryce Hamilton and his mom were fiercely loyal to Otz too. But Hamilton does know he'll never get as many FGA he got at UNLV anywhere else. He averaged 17 shot attempts per game....next highest was 16 w/ Richard Washington at SJSU (many of those shots were garbage-time with SJSU getting dumpstered by 20+ every game) and then UNR's Grant Sherfield and Desmond Cambridge with 13.8 and 13.6 shots per game. Insane... and Boise St fans thought Alston Jr was too much of a ballhog averaging 12.8 shots per game. 

Depaul got the Minnie transfer Brandon Johnson so UNLV whiffed on that one. What's left in the portal? 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif