Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

4 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

lol 

RR: this kid is a bum!

UNLV fan: he’s got size and was DPOY in the southland. Could be a good get. 

RR: he sucks! He only got 1-2 points against Air Force in 30 minutes of play. 

Unlv fan: so did these other UNLV players that were real good in their day, Air Force plays a different system. 

RR: doesn’t matter, we should be recruiting at a higher level, P5 guys, not southland bums! 

Unlv: Virginia tech and Pitt offered him. 

RR: Doesn’t matter! He will probably to sit on the bench because that’s what big programs do. 

Nobody is saying he’s the next Kevin Garnett or anything remotely close. We had zero size, zero athletic ability outside of 1-2 guys, no bench, no defense etc but funny watching Robert turn into a pretzel trying to make his point. 

The good thing is we will get to see in 7 months!  Southland Superstar or MWC McNothin!

His defense looks like it will translate nicely.  Based on the tape, he has great discipline and doesn’t jump until the offensive player jumps.  He rarely bites on pump fakes.  He has long arms.  He can block shots against the guy he’s guarding and not just as a help defender.  He had more blocks than fouls last year, which is something you don’t see often.  Last thing I’ll say is that it looks like he has untapped potential as a passer in the post. He looks like he assessed the defense well before deciding what to do.

25 minutes ago, vegasmdr said:

I don't remember any kids coming from lower conferences helping us, Doolin was garbage, but maybe this kid is the exception to the rule.  Who knows.

Maybe he’ll be the next Anthony Todd.

In general though that is true about players performance at UNLV from lower caliber programs.  Some exceptions would be Kevin Simmons, Brian Keefe, Eric Booker and Flintie Ray Williams.  They were good players, solid contributors.  

2 hours ago, FredHaygood said:

Interested to see who get the last 2 rides. I think it will be the best that they can get regardless of position. All positions are open and the competition will make everyone better

One of them will be a PG.  Maybe somebody like Tyree Ihenacho.  And probably a combo guard type as well.

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Maybe he’ll be the next Anthony Todd.

In general though that is true about players performance at UNLV from lower caliber programs.  Some exceptions would be Kevin Simmons, Brian Keefe, Eric Booker and Flintie Ray Williams.  They were good players, solid contributors.  

wish you would post more Ernie, love your knowledge of the Rebs history.

13 hours ago, vegasmdr said:

No he definitely is the least accomplished of the players we have brought in.  KK is cleaning house though and I don't think he's throwing out the trash just to bring some in the back door.  I don't remember any kids coming from lower conferences helping us, Doolin was garbage, but maybe this kid is the exception to the rule.  Who knows.

Screenshot_20210417-081525.png

Screenshot_20210417-081353.png

OK.  I am over my temper tantrum from yesterday and not getting the recruits I wanted.  I have accepted the fact that Muoka will be a lottery pick and I am ready to see who our next two scholarships will go to!  Go Rebels!

Basketball.gif.f677743cdfff059573d7d6efba2cc11d.gif

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

He’s only a sophomore in HS.  Rankings don’t mean much at this point.

He also has offers from Kansas, Illinois, and Ole Miss, so he is really a four star anyways.

I wasn't assessing his talent. 

Also there are 4 and 5 star players in this age group. 

On 4/16/2021 at 7:00 PM, vegasmdr said:

No he definitely is the least accomplished of the players we have brought in.  KK is cleaning house though and I don't think he's throwing out the trash just to bring some in the back door.  I don't remember any kids coming from lower conferences helping us, Doolin was garbage, but maybe this kid is the exception to the rule.  Who knows.

Sometimes you find gems from the smaller programs - UNR with Muss as coach did pretty well mixing guys from lower programs and winning in the MWC - Granted he landed a mix, the twins were from NC State of the ACC & one is in the NBA now, but most of that years UNR team was from conferences lower than the MWC in the pecking order.........recruiting isn't an exact science & kids get overlooked for various reasons 

It does seem that the UNLV roster is basically being torn down and rebuilt.......now, how much of that is KK's wishes or just players bailing because TJO left we probably don't know in every case (Grill was one who followed TJO) ........basically next season is start over for the KK era & there's not looking to be much holdover from the TJO era ...........and I'm actually fine with that :cheers:

On 4/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, Rosegreen said:

lol 

RR: this kid is a bum!

UNLV fan: he’s got size and was DPOY in the southland. Could be a good get. 

RR: he sucks! He only got 1-2 points against Air Force in 30 minutes of play. 

Unlv fan: so did these other UNLV players that were real good in their day, Air Force plays a different system. 

RR: doesn’t matter, we should be recruiting at a higher level, P5 guys, not southland bums! 

Unlv fan: Virginia tech and Pitt offered him. 

RR: Doesn’t matter! He will probably to sit on the bench because that’s what big programs do. 

Nobody is saying he’s the next Kevin Garnett or anything remotely close. We had zero size, zero athletic ability outside of 1-2 guys, no bench, no defense etc but funny watching Robert turn into a pretzel trying to make his point. 

Example:   https://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/1/31/7958477/unlv-vs-air-force-final-score-74-63-rebels-fend-off-falcons

This was from January 31, 2015 .....UNLV vs Air Force game .......a UNLV team that had THREE players (at least) that played in the NBA (Rashaad Vaughn, Patrick McCaw & Chirstian Wood) ......that UNLV team with (at least 3 NBA players) was 4-5 in the MWC ........so can KK do better than 4-5 in MWC play & 13-9 overall without THREE NBA players on his roster - I think he could :cheers:

Air Force hung around thanks to some accurate three-point shooting, but UNLV never surrendered the lead in the second half and grabbed a 74-63 win.

UNLV is now 13-9 (4-5 Mountain West), while Air Force falls to 9-12 (2-8)

16 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Sometimes you find gems from the smaller programs - UNR with Muss as coach did pretty well mixing guys from lower programs and winning in the MWC - Granted he landed a mix, the twins were from NC State of the ACC & one is in the NBA now, but most of that years UNR team was from conferences lower than the MWC in the pecking order.........recruiting isn't an exact science & kids get overlooked for various reasons 

It does seem that the UNLV roster is basically being torn down and rebuilt.......now, how much of that is KK's wishes or just players bailing because TJO left we probably don't know in every case (Grill was one who followed TJO) ........basically next season is start over for the KK era & there's not looking to be much holdover from the TJO era ...........and I'm actually fine with that :cheers:

Both of the Martins are in the NBA, a real feel good story to see them still getting to play together.