Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

48 minutes ago, utenation said:

LOL at grown adults stalking and bashing young college kids. Some of you guys are real scumbags.

In 2018 CSU hosted New Mexico after Larry Eustachy had been suspended. The program was reeling. That night the Rams fell behind something like 55-25 at the half. I tweeted that even referee Tommy Nunez was beating the Rams up and down the floor. It was true. And it was sad from my perspective as a fan and a booster.

But I then took a cheap shot at the players that I regret to this day. I tweeted that every one of the players efforts should be questioned and that none of them should have their scholarships renewed. Several players responded quite angrily at me, some inappropriately. They deleted their tweets. I had local beat writers asking me if I had screen shots of what was said to me. I didnt and told them to leave the players alone. It was every bit their right to respond to me the way they did.

I had violated the “if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all” advice I had been raised with. Young players deserve that. 

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

I would never waste time on Caleb Grill.

Have him produce the so called messages, they don't exist.  The kid is a coward and a liar and should stay in Kansas with the other quitters.

He is going to have some serious explaining and apologizing to do when he tries to transfer back to UNLV next year.

Worst player I ever saw.  Hick from the sticks might of been big time in his hillbilly one horse Kansas town. Big man on campus in white boy city USA but he is a chump in the real world.  Couldn't hang in the big time so he had to run and hide in the sticks.

Ah, someone has hurt feelings. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, StonedApe said:

Grill n chill

you guys need to stop sliding into players dm.

So now, not only did TJO recruit weak players but also mentally weak players. No wonder they sucked last season, everyone just mailed it in last season.  Now they are blaming the fans. Lol

1 hour ago, utenation said:

LOL at UNLV fans running players out of town based on 1990.. That player's words are exactly what the rest of the world has been telling UNLV fans.

Again, any player leaving UNLV is a bum.. Anyone coming in is a 15 star McDonald's All American.. Burger King had to go out of business in Vegas because there is so much McDonalds running around.  Just ask @RebelRobert.

Stay classy Reb fans.. LOL.

It's not a situation with only UNLV fans. You could look at fans of any school and some will blast players over leaving, etc. It's a small, vocal minority of fans that have a voice now with social media. People say things on line that they never would in person, just like this board.

Older UNLV fans like me will not let go of the past because we lived it. We don't expect national titles because times have changed and the college game has changed. But we expect to regularly contend for conference titles and make the NCAA tournament. If schools like Xavier, Wichita St., etc. can do that in non-P5 leagues then there is no reason why we can't. We have the tradition, facilities, budget, etc. to have those expectations. It's easy if you've never had success to not expect it. But when you have it is infuriating to be a bad program, especially when it is self-inflicted based on our leadership. 

You can blast UNLV fans all you want but I'd rather have high expectations then be resigned to always being crap. 

In UNLV's case, 99.9% of the time it is the fault of the coaches or athletic directors who hire these coaches.  They bring kids to Las Vegas who have no business being at UNLV, they aren't Rebels and never in a million years should be allowed to put on the jersey.  Every genius AD who takes over at UNLV believes they are going to be the one to change UNLV.  Most times they are successful in only making things worse because they refuse to look at our history, who we are and embrace it.  Instead they want to pound Kansas ideals into Las Vegas.  They think what worked in South or North Dakota is sure to work in Las Vegas if only we give it a chance.  NO THANKS  Won't Work Already Tried it twice and failed.

Coaches and AD's need to embrace who and what Las Vegas is.  If they see in their souls that they can't embrace that, they should not take the job or they should leave immediately.  If they think they are smart enough and brave enough to try to change Las Vegas, they will fail miserably time and again.

You have to recruit Rebels to UNLV.  You have to play Defense if you are going to be the coach at UNLV.  Recruit from Oakland, Detroit, Southern Cal, Texas, New York etc. and bring in tough kids.  No soft foreign players or guys trying to learn the game, not in Vegas.   Athletes who can run and jump and will die for eachother.

No quitters from the Midwest.  We need guys with heart and street smarts who won't be afraid when they see a brown person at Target in Vegas.

Covid was hard on everyone and I am sure teenagers are all ready for a new atmosphere after being stuck inside for 12 months.

UNLV fans are ready for new players, sad to say but true.  We want to see players who work in the offseason and show up ready to run.  Not fat overweight one dimensional players who start crying the first time someone critiques them.  We need tough kids who fight back, not cowards that run home to mommy in BFE Kansas.

10 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

So now, not only did TJO recruit weak players but also mentally weak players. No wonder they sucked last season, everyone just mailed it in last season.  Now they are blaming the fans. Lol

Haha come on RG. 

I commonly called out CDR for recruiting mentally weak players because his guys were ALWAYS hurt, transferring and he could never ride his best guys to perform because they would sulk, dog it or shut it down on him.

Totz guys just didn't belong here, quite frankly. I didn't think kids like this existed who could still be overwhelmed by social media. 

6 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Recruit from Oakland, Detroit, Southern Cal, Texas, New York etc. and bring in tough kids.  No soft foreign players or guys trying to learn the game, not in Vegas.   Athletes who can run and jump and will die for eachother.

That’s been your beef for as long as I can remember on this board. 

12 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

It's not a situation with only UNLV fans. You could look at fans of any school and some will blast players over leaving, etc. It's a small, vocal minority of fans that have a voice now with social media. People say things on line that they never would in person, just like this board.

Older UNLV fans like me will not let go of the past because we lived it. We don't expect national titles because times have changed and the college game has changed. But we expect to regularly contend for conference titles and make the NCAA tournament. If schools like Xavier, Wichita St., etc. can do that in non-P5 leagues then there is no reason why we can't. We have the tradition, facilities, budget, etc. to have those expectations. It's easy if you've never had success to not expect it. But when you have it is infuriating to be a bad program, especially when it is self-inflicted based on our leadership. 

You can blast UNLV fans all you want but I'd rather have high expectations then be resigned to always being crap. 

I will say, if any adult from any fan base  seeks(like ph) out college players and bashes them to the point of being blocked and having family members get involved is pretty sad. So yes, this goes for any fan that does it.

I’m sure there are Ute fans that do this. If I ever see it, I will say the same thing. 

15 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Haha come on RG. 

I commonly called out CDR for recruiting mentally weak players because his guys were ALWAYS hurt, transferring and he could never ride his best guys to perform because they would sulk, dog it or shut it down on him.

Totz guys just didn't belong here, quite frankly. I didn't think kids like this existed who could still be overwhelmed by social media. 

CDR players never blamed the fans, maybe Zimmermom did but most of the players were in it for themselves, boost their stock for the nba etc. CDR brought in top notch athletes, and players we expected to come to unlv. Top classes in the nation etc. CDR just couldn’t develop them or have any coaching discipline that’s required of a HC. 

First year TJO was fine, he brought in some decent players on the fly, finished 2nd in MWC, beat #4 SDSU in their house. Then just mailed it in with recruiting too many softies. 

Theres a lot of good coaches in the big12, so it’ll be interesting to see how he stacks up there.

Look at what Penny is doing at Memphis https://gotigersgo.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Do you think he is bringing in a Caleb Grill to Memphis?  You have to understand who you are and where you are.

Look at Kelvin Sampson at Houston https://uhcougars.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

He understands what it takes to win at a program like Houston and he is recruiting to their strengths.

These are two programs that are comparable to UNLV.  Two programs on the rise because they are accepting who they are and what they need to do to win.

When UNLV admin accepts that we are the Rebels and located in Las Vegas, NV maybe they will start to recruit players who fit with our history and with what will work in a city like Las Vegas.  Caleb Grill is not for us.  Otz is not for us.  When you can admit that, we can talk.

26 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

In UNLV's case, 99.9% of the time it is the fault of the coaches or athletic directors who hire these coaches.  They bring kids to Las Vegas who have no business being at UNLV, they aren't Rebels and never in a million years should be allowed to put on the jersey.  Every genius AD who takes over at UNLV believes they are going to be the one to change UNLV.  Most times they are successful in only making things worse because they refuse to look at our history, who we are and embrace it.  Instead they want to pound Kansas ideals into Las Vegas.  They think what worked in South or North Dakota is sure to work in Las Vegas if only we give it a chance.  NO THANKS  Won't Work Already Tried it twice and failed.

Coaches and AD's need to embrace who and what Las Vegas is.  If they see in their souls that they can't embrace that, they should not take the job or they should leave immediately.  If they think they are smart enough and brave enough to try to change Las Vegas, they will fail miserably time and again.

You have to recruit Rebels to UNLV.  You have to play Defense if you are going to be the coach at UNLV.  Recruit from Oakland, Detroit, Southern Cal, Texas, New York etc. and bring in tough kids.  No soft foreign players or guys trying to learn the game, not in Vegas.   Athletes who can run and jump and will die for eachother.

No quitters from the Midwest.  Guys with heart and street smarts who won't be afraid when they see a brown person at Target in Vegas.

Covid was hard on everyone and I am sure teenagers are all ready for a new atmosphere after being stuck inside for 12 months.

UNLV fans are ready for new players, sad to say but true.  We want to see players who work in the offseason and show up ready to run.  Not fat overweight one dimensional players who start crying the first time someone critiques them.  We need tough kids who fight back, not cowards that run home to mommy in BFE Kansas.

This is exactly why the program isn’t going anywhere. A vicious cycle of revolving doors for both players and coaches and AD’s based on unrealistic expectations by delusional fans like you. 

Last I checked the NBA is loaded with international players with some MVP possibles.

57 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

In 2018 CSU hosted New Mexico after Larry Eustachy had been suspended. The program was reeling. That night the Rams fell behind something like 55-25 at the half. I tweeted that even referee Tommy Nunez was beating the Rams up and down the floor. It was true. And it was sad from my perspective as a fan and a booster.

But I then took a cheap shot at the players that I regret to this day. I tweeted that every one of the players efforts should be questioned and that none of them should have their scholarships renewed. Several players responded quite angrily at me, some inappropriately. They deleted their tweets. I had local beat writers asking me if I had screen shots of what was said to me. I didnt and told them to leave the players alone. It was every bit their right to respond to me the way they did.

I had violated the “if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all” advice I had been raised with. Young players deserve that. 

We all have passion. But I’m sure you weren’t stalking 19 year old players on a daily basis trying to rip them apart. You know like Ph does? 

Grill is a South Dakota State recruit.  Would of been fine there.  Kid can't handle a little shit talk, what's he expect when ISU sucks, or they go into a big boy arena.  KK is cleaning house and bringing in tough kids who have heard the trash talk, played in big time arenas and top 25 match ups.  Last year's UNLV was weak, and this just proves how weak.  :surrender:they said mean things to me.

1 hour ago, Rebelbacker said:

Btw backer, I have been very careful with my words and responses. Nothing wrong with wanting conference titles and trips to the Dance. Like you said, they’ve earned that. And UNLV has some good resources. 

I laugh and call out your fans that bash the MWC and teams, say conference titles don’t mean shit, think the B12 wants you and want to skip every reasonable step to get back to respectable and just go to the final 4 based on what happened 30 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Rebelbacker said:

This is me & this is true - No reason the right coach couldn't get UNLV back to being a regular in the rankings & NCAAT - Not saying national titles, but on par with any top 50-75 program in the country on a regular basis .........not being 150-250 in the CBB pecking order like the last 6 years of Menzies & TJO 

Anyone claiming that UNLV can't be Top 10 is full of $hit and not a true fan as far as I am concerned.

This idea that we somehow have to accept being some mediocre #50 - #75 program in the country is horse$hit.

UNLV Basketball should, could and will be a yearly Top 25 program.

Never start listening to the people who try to tell you who you can be.  Never start believing the lies they spew.

UNLV is elite.  We are the future.  We will dominate college basketball.  Anyone saying otherwise is not a true fan. 

No, they are not realistic.  They are coward quitters who are willing to accept mediocrity.  I will not.  I know we will be great.

Bashing these kids on social media and email or whatever is completely wrong and should not happen.  So what if the kid had a bad game or doesn't play like a fan thinks they should.  That does not give anyone the right to be an ass.

As far as a ute fan trying to convince everybody that all UNLV fans suck it is obvious he has never been to his own schools games or spoken to many other ute fans.  Definitely a pot calling the kettle black.  I live in the middle and work with many Ute fans and some are pretty good fans and other are complete idiots.  You get the same with all fan bases

16 minutes ago, Shaker said:

Bashing these kids on social media and email or whatever is completely wrong and should not happen.  So what if the kid had a bad game or doesn't play like a fan thinks they should.  That does not give anyone the right to be an ass.

As far as a ute fan trying to convince everybody that all UNLV fans suck it is obvious he has never been to his own schools games or spoken to many other ute fans.  Definitely a pot calling the kettle black.  I live in the middle and work with many Ute fans and some are pretty good fans and other are complete idiots.  You get the same with all fan bases

I don't think people should be sending private messages to the players, we know most of todays kids are tulips, wimps, sissies, snowflakes and momma's boys who can't take even the slightest bit of criticism after being coddled by their parents, coaches and small hick towns.

If kids can't take criticism, stay off social media.  I know it is sounds impossible in todays world but it really isn't.  Does your mom need to be on twitter commenting on her cupcake runt kids every move?  NO.  Stay off social media if you are soft and can't take criticism (DRF disappeared because she is soft, smart move).  If you are a namby-pamby little mouse from backwoods kansas you should just stick to listening to how great you are from the townsfolk.  In the boonies they have a saying "trying to force country folk to like the big city is like telling your gay cousin, you just haven't met the right girl yet"

These people were born in the wrong place and they dream of being big time in the big city but deep down in their souls they know who they are really.  Nobody trash from the sticks. But their mommy thinks they are great.

16 minutes ago, Shaker said:

They want to put their whole life out there for everyone to see, which almost everyone does now days.  Then you have to take the good with the bad.  Some saying you're great, others saying you suck.  If you don't want negative feedback don't put your whole life out there for anyone to see.  Plus you can just block users you don't want posting on your account.  I say it's all fair game if your going to be all over social media, everything short of death threats.