Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

1 minute ago, utenation said:

Really??? Finding a rational UNLV fan on this board is like looking for Bigfoot. 

BTW, I love your posts. 100% solid.

There aren't too many rational people on here period. 

1 hour ago, packNV said:

Well said!  I respect the UNLV story and enjoyed watching and following the Rebs in the Tark era.  It was magic. 

However, it's also possible that UNLV couldn't do it with another coach.  Hopefully, coach Krueger works out but he has a lot of work to do.  I would love to have both programs competing at the top level with Nevada winning of course!

From looking back over the 40+ years........without Tark, UNLV would be any average MWC program or even less 

Now going forward will UNLV ever recreate the heights on the Tark era ? I think it's entirely possible that with the right coach, UNLV - And by that, there's two levels of UNLV under Tark there was the 1973/74 to 1985 era where UNLV was ranked most seasons & had some nice NCAA tourney runs.......then there's the 1986/76 to 1990/91 run of three final fours & months of top 5 or #1 rankings 

I could see UNLV possibly getting back to the being ranked 7 having some nice NCAAT runs.........but a run of 3 final fours in 5 seasons is probably unlikely 

No reason a few MWC programs couldn't be fairly regular top 15-25 teams - then anything above that would be bonus & also probably mean that the MWC is providing competition to maintain rankings even with some losses.

57 minutes ago, utenation said:

I disagree on this. Lots of good fans here. 

Lots of good UNLV fans, too.

We do realize no other MW school's fans have experienced what we did through the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s, so we smile and pat some of them on the head when they pump their chests about making the NCAA tournament. Those other fans will never experience the excitement, frustration, and exhilaration of the UNLV runs during that time. It was a hell of a run, and a blast even when we didn't make it to a final four, elite 8s weren't bad, but sweet 16s were almost kind of a disappointment. But watching the rebs play was just so fun to watch, their style was better than any entertainment on the strip. And they were ours.

And then came the disappointment and anger when our own administration destroyed what had built UNLV. We hate where UNLV is now, and will never get back what we have lost, but at least we can say we have been there.

Once you have been hooked, and been to the top, it's not easy to accept mediocrity, and I doubt those of us who experienced what we did will ever do that. Just the way it is. :)

1 hour ago, packNV said:

Well said!  I respect the UNLV story and enjoyed watching and following the Rebs in the Tark era.  It was magic. 

However, it's also possible that UNLV couldn't do it with another coach.  Hopefully, coach Krueger works out but he has a lot of work to do.  I would love to have both programs competing at the top level with Nevada winning of course!

Looking at MWC programs and some locations - I'm thinking that UNLV, SDSU, Nevada, New Mexico & Fresno St all could be pretty good on a regular basis - each has had some success & are in decent sized metro areas with most producing decent D-1 talent and have the amenities to attract talent to win - the Reno & Boise areas haven't been hotbeds for recruiting & any top level talent tends to get away.....maybe that can change 

BSU has potential as does USU..........Wyoming & CSU could produce the occasional solid teams & have done so over the years............Miles at SJSU could be interesting, but I think he needs to generate some fan base there, and if he can do that & maybe get something going, no reason he can't compete with Stanford & Cal in the bay area, as both Stanford & Cal have the occasional good teams, but neither has sustained anything over the long haul ..........first step of Miles at SJSU to to get up to speed with St. Mary's & Santa Clara of the WCC 

Air Force had that one good team, but the AF academy just doesn't lend itself to any sustained BB success (like Navy, who struck gold with David Robinson) - can be OK, but for the most part will be a 2nd tier MWC program 

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

From looking back over the 40+ years........without Tark, UNLV would be any average MWC program or even less 

Now going forward will UNLV ever recreate the heights on the Tark era ? I think it's entirely possible that with the right coach, UNLV - And by that, there's two levels of UNLV under Tark there was the 1973/74 to 1985 era where UNLV was ranked most seasons & had some nice NCAA tourney runs.......then there's the 1986/76 to 1990/91 run of three final fours & months of top 5 or #1 rankings 

I could see UNLV possibly getting back to the being ranked 7 having some nice NCAAT runs.........but a run of 3 final fours in 5 seasons is probably unlikely 

No reason a few MWC programs couldn't be fairly regular top 15-25 teams - then anything above that would be bonus & also probably mean that the MWC is providing competition to maintain rankings even with some losses.

UNLV has the ability to find a "New Tark."  They have some unique characteristics and built in advantages.  The big challenge is unrealistic expectations from the alumni, fans and media.  From the outside looking in, it's a fairly toxic situation.  Hopefully Krueger gets it settled down.

5 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

We do realize no other MW school's fans have experienced what we did through the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s, so we smile and pat some of them on the head when they pump their chests about making the NCAA tournament. Those other fans will never experience the excitement, frustration, and exhilaration of the UNLV runs during that time. It was a hell of a run, and a blast even when we didn't make it to a final four, elite 8s weren't bad, but sweet 16s were almost kind of a disappointment. But watching the rebs play was just so fun to watch, their style was better than any entertainment on the strip. And they were ours.

And then came the disappointment and anger when our own administration destroyed what had built UNLV. We hate where UNLV is now, and will never get back what we have lost, but at least we can say we have been there.

Once you have been hooked, it's not easy to accept mediocrity, and I doubt we'll ever do that. Just the way it is. :)

This is what us older UNLV fans have to deal with......the once was that really doesn't seem that long ago, yet it was..........I was turning 30 when UNLV won in 1990 & was turning 31 when UNLV was 35-0 in 1991.............from 15 to 32 years old UNLV was always in the national spotlight, NCAA & rankings .............sadly that was 30 years ago - I'm 61 now & UNLV has had ONE decent NCAA run & few rankings.

What sort of seems fresh in the mind is quickly becoming a distant memory.........and what's weird is seeing the 35 & younger crowd talk like they know anything about UNLV being any good in basketball other than the one game upsetting a decent team of the one S16 a decade + ago from Lon Kruger 

If one is 35 or younger..........UNLV has never been better than most of the middling MWC programs 

15 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Looking at MWC programs and some locations - I'm thinking that UNLV, SDSU, Nevada, New Mexico & Fresno St all could be pretty good on a regular basis - each has had some success & are in decent sized metro areas with most producing decent D-1 talent and have the amenities to attract talent to win - the Reno & Boise areas haven't been hotbeds for recruiting & any top level talent tends to get away.....maybe that can change 

BSU has potential as does USU..........Wyoming & CSU could produce the occasional solid teams & have done so over the years............Miles at SJSU could be interesting, but I think he needs to generate some fan base there, and if he can do that & maybe get something going, no reason he can't compete with Stanford & Cal in the bay area, as both Stanford & Cal have the occasional good teams, but neither has sustained anything over the long haul ..........first step of Miles at SJSU to to get up to speed with St. Mary's & Santa Clara of the WCC 

Air Force had that one good team, but the AF academy just doesn't lend itself to any sustained BB success (like Navy, who struck gold with David Robinson) - can be OK, but for the most part will be a 2nd tier MWC program 

There isn't enough D1 talent in the north to worry about recruiting locally in basketball.  Moses Wood is towards the top.  There have been better, but not many top D1 guys come from this area.

Sacramento area is more feasible.  Nevada will be reliant on the transfer market to a large extent.

25 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Once you have been hooked, and been to the top, it's not easy to accept mediocrity, and I doubt those of us who experienced what we did will ever do that. Just the way it is. :)

When the Zag's greatest team ever thread debate came up, I was quick to say they needed to earn it before I move them past the UNLV 90-91 teams. I also included the undefeated Indiana team in the late 70's. I watched it all.  I think just about everyone respects those UNLV teams. The stats don't lie.

I think revisiting history is a good part of basketball but 30 years ago has nothing to do with today other than fan expectations.  We live in a results based society..

Posters throw stat after stat at the UNLV crew of modern material and it doesn't matter.  It always comes back to the great years. People just don't buy it when we are talking about 2021. I also threw out some theories on building a foundation.  I was told conference play and championships don't matter. etc..

I love optimism but plenty of UNLV fans shit on recent accomplishments of other teams in this conference. 

I don't have a horse in the race other than liking this conference so I'm just here for entertainment mostly. 

14 minutes ago, packNV said:

UNLV has the ability to find a "New Tark."  They have some unique characteristics and built in advantages.  The big challenge is unrealistic expectations from the alumni, fans and media.  From the outside looking in, it's a fairly toxic situation.  Hopefully Krueger gets it settled down.

Any school has that ability along with developing a great program, even a no name school like Gonzaga has done it. I have no idea what Kruger will be like, he was a 'safe' hire, but he might end up more edgy than his dad was. We'll see.

8 minutes ago, packNV said:

There isn't enough D1 talent in the north to worry about recruiting locally in basketball.  Moses Wood is towards the top.  There have been better, but not many top D1 guys come from this area.

Sacramento area is more feasible.  Nevada will be reliant on the transfer market if to a large extent.

Agree - Reno & Boise aren't anyplace you can build a D-1 program on local talent - Even San Diego, Las Vegas & most MWC cities aren't enough to sustain a program at a decent level - The inter-mountain west is pretty much an area you have to import players 

Still if UNLV could corral some of the better LV area players, UNLV could have a good base - But UNLV & UNR have the benefit of CAL being right next door 

5 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Any school has that ability along with developing a great program, even a no name school like Gonzaga has done it. I have no idea what Kruger will be like, he was a 'safe' hire, but he might end up more edgy than his dad was. We'll see.

Gonzaga being in Spokane WA isn't a hotbed of local talent either ........think it's about with Reno & Boise, maybe a tick above.

Gonzaga is riding the wave right now....crap climate, boring city isolated in western Washington & a religious based operation........that's not a bunch of ingredients that scream a top 5 program.........then add in a mostly crap conference of schools with similar limitations 

That's why I say there's more than a few MWC programs that should be able to get something going 

15 minutes ago, utenation said:

When the Zag's greatest team ever thread debate came up, I was quick to say they needed to earn it before I move them past the UNLV 90-91 teams. I also included the undefeated Indiana team in the late 70's. I watched it all.  I think just about everyone respects those UNLV teams. The stats don't lie.

I think revisiting history is a good part of basketball but 30 years ago has nothing to do with today other than fan expectations.  We live in a results based society..

Posters throw stat after stat at the UNLV crew of modern material and it doesn't matter.  It always comes back to the great years. People just don't buy it when we are talking about 2021. I also threw out some theories on building a foundation.  I was told conference play and championships doesn't matter. etc..

I love optimism but plenty of UNLV fans shit on recent accomplishments of other teams in this conference. 

I don't have a horse in the race other than liking this conference so I'm just here for entertainment mostly. 

And you're welcome here, as are other fans of schools that are not currently in the MW.

UNLV fans are a vocal bunch, and there are a lot of us here. We definitely run the gamut in what we bring, but we all share a love of college basketball. There has been a lot of trash talk, but there's also been plenty of support, as well. Hell, I (and others) even cheered for Reno when they beat Mick Cronin's Cinncinati a few years ago to get to the sweet 16, I had to be on double secret probation in order to get my rebel card back. I'll never give that up again. :o

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

And you're welcome here, as are other fans of schools that are not currently in the MW.

UNLV fans are a vocal bunch, and there are a lot of us here. We definitely run the gamut in what we bring, but we all share a love of college basketball. There has been a lot of trash talk, but there's also been plenty of support, as well. Hell, I (and others) even cheered for Reno when they beat Mick Cronin's Cinncinati a few years ago to get to the sweet 16, I had to be on double secret probation in order to get my rebel card back. I'll never give that up again.

I go back to the beginning with UNLV and I loved those Rebel teams..They were really good and fun to watch..I have a lot of respect for that era..

But we live and in the "what have you done lately" era.  UNLV is a long ways away from the glory years.  They can get good again and that would help the MW as a whole.. But I don't see a return to the heights you reached long ago.

9 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

UNLV fans are a vocal bunch, and there are a lot of us here. We definitely run the gamut in what we bring, but we all share a love of college basketball. There has been a lot of trash talk, but there's also been plenty of support, as well. Hell, I (and others) even cheered for Reno when they beat Mick Cronin's Cinncinati a few years ago to get to the sweet 16, I had to be on double secret probation in order to get my rebel card back. I'll never give that up again.

Hey, I love it..  I joined this board in 2005 and nothing has changed when it comes to UNLV fans.  I learned along time ago, that's how it is. It's still fun to throw some outside perspectives into your UNLV parties on this board.

UNLV2001, Sharktank,, Rosegreen(yes I like him) and others have been here since day 1 and are great posters..  I miss Reb Baron too.. That guy was an ace.  I think you are right up there too.. There's other good ones but the ones I mentioned are old school..

I will always, always respect passion.. Even PH has good passion and some decent takes.  The fact that you folks have been down and still battle is impressive. God help this board if UNLV actually starts winning again..:D

18 minutes ago, utenation said:

Posters throw stat after stat at the UNLV crew of modern material and it doesn't matter.  It always comes back to the great years. People just don't buy it when we are talking about 2021. I also threw out some theories on building a foundation.  I was told conference play and championships don't matter. etc..

In basketball........UNLV's facilities are easily on par or better than most of the PAC-12 programs .......that's what helps buoy optimism of UNLV fans 

UNLV's arena seats more than every PAC arena by 4,000 or better.....dedicated practice facility...........no reason some decent coach can't get UNLV going to be a consistent winner

Looked it up - didn't realize how small capacity is in the Pac12 - worse than some MWC venues - And some are old has heck 

Arizona - 14,655

Az State 10,754

California  11,877

Colorado 11,064

Oregon 12,346

Oregon St 9,604

Stanford 7,233

UCLA 13,800

USC 10,258

Utah 15,000

Washington 10,000

Washington St  11,671

14 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

In basketball........UNLV's facilities are easily on par or better than most of the PAC-12 programs .......that's what helps buoy optimism of UNLV fans 

UNLV's arena seats more than every PAC arena by 4,000 or better.....dedicated practice facility...........no reason some decent coach can't get UNLV going to be a consistent winner

Looked it up - didn't realize how small capacity is in the Pac12 - worse than some MWC venues - And some are old has heck 

Arizona - 14,655

Az State 10,754

California  11,877

Colorado 11,064

Oregon 12,346

Oregon St 9,604

Stanford 7,233

UCLA 13,800

USC 10,258

Utah 15,000

Washington 10,000

Washington St  11,671

The Pac 12 has interest problems in both basketball and football. That's why you see smaller stadiums in hoops. Utah's attendance blows right now.. There is a lot of nice facilities in the P12, just not large arenas.  UCLA, Utah, USC and Oregon have fresh stuff. Others like you said are dated. 

We are a bit spoiled too in basketball and won't support a bad product. Utah and Oregon have the best fan support in football and are over capacity. 

UNLV has had basketball attendance issues lately too correct? So I'm not sure how much the larger arena thing plays too much here.  

As far as UNLV getting a good coach,  I think the facilities are definitely there but plenty of leadership issues right? I just think people want to see results other than big talk. If UNLV does ever land a guy, good chance he's gone though after a few years.

1 minute ago, utenation said:

The Pac 12 has interest problems in both basketball and football. That's why you see smaller stadiums in hoops. Utah's attendance blows right now.. There is a lot of nice facilities in the P12, just not large arenas.  UCLA, Utah, USC and Oregon have fresh stuff. Others like you said are dated. 

We are a bit spoiled too in basketball and won't support a bad product. Utah and Oregon have the best fan support in football and are over capacity. 

UNLV has had basketball attendance issues lately too correct? So I'm not sure how much the larger arena thing plays too much here.  

As far as UNLV getting a good coach,  I think the facilities are definitely there but plenty of leadership issues right? I just think people want to see results other than big talk.

UNLV's attendance tanked after the Dave Rice years - Menzies, TJO & then covid basically gonged BB attendance..........and also since Dave Rice was let go, Las Vegas has gained NHL & NFL teams.........the NHL team played to about 108% arena capacity over their first 3 seasons 7 that didn't help a floundering UNLV BB program which goes head to head with the NHL season 

UNLV's admin has been a mess over the years & that hasn't helped athletics 

But for the 18,000 seats in the T&M (down some since the remodel) ........even in the Tark era, the only close to season sellouts were in the 5 years between 1987 to 1991........most years it wasn't at full capacity, but ranged between 13,000 to 16,000 for most of the late 1980's

UNLV had the benefit of the arena being a high capacity because of the Las Vegas Visitors & Convention Authority to bring in major events like National Finals Rodeo, concerts & other athletic events ..........so the capacity is 25% the old UNLV BB program & 75% general use for a myriad of events 

59 minutes ago, packNV said:

Sacramento area is more feasible.  Nevada will be reliant on the transfer market to a large extent.

I think there's enough talent in Cali for everyone. Right? We've dipped into the midwest and international lately.

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV's attendance tanked after the Dave Rice years - Menzies, TJO & then covid basically gonged BB attendance..........and also since Dave Rice was let go, Las Vegas has gained NHL & NFL teams.........the NHL team played to about 108% arena capacity over their first 3 seasons 7 that didn't help a floundering UNLV BB program which goes head to head with the NHL season 

UNLV's admin has been a mess over the years & that hasn't helped athletics 

But for the 18,000 seats in the T&M (down some since the remodel) ........even in the Tark era, the only close to season sellouts were in the 5 years between 1987 to 1991........most years it wasn't at full capacity, but ranged between 13,000 to 16,000 for most of the late 1980's

UNLV had the benefit of the arena being a high capacity because of the Las Vegas Visitors & Convention Authority to bring in major events like National Finals Rodeo, concerts & other athletic events ..........so the capacity is 25% the old UNLV BB program & 75% general use for a myriad of events 

Even NBA teams have downsized arenas on general seating.  More suites, big money stuff. So say UNLV starts winning again, do you think they have the core fans that will be back? Or is it just a pro sports town now with too much time passing? Lot's  of migration to Vegas with little UNLV ties.