Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

8 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Cal isn't looking at Hamilton because he's NBA talent - He's a senior with some skills that might compliment the young NBA talent he brings in 

Calipari has now made it a habit to bring in a senior to compliment his freshman-laden roster.  He’s bringing in Kellan Grady for next year.

17 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

I would love to have Hardy back with some talent around him!  Doubt it would happen but he is a Rebel and I would want him back if he still wanted to play College.

He might be ready to move on with his life now though.  Never hurts to ask, can't say yes if you don't ask.  Kevin should make the new assistant call.

Why would Hardy want to come back, fans treated him like sh*t..

22 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Why would Hardy want to come back, fans treated him like sh*t..

Really, who wants him back?  If his brother could of come with, but that's not happening.  Couldn't see the floor at Oregon.  With the length and talent Kevin is bringing in, I see Hardy in the same boat here, 7-8 off the bench.  I see him going to a league below MW, where he could be the man on a shitty team and put up 20 a game.  Maybe get noticed with high point per game totals, and get a shot overseas or development league for NBA.

1 hour ago, vegasmdr said:

Really, who wants him back?  If his brother could of come with, but that's not happening.  Couldn't see the floor at Oregon.  With the length and talent Kevin is bringing in, I see Hardy in the same boat here, 7-8 off the bench.  I see him going to a league below MW, where he could be the man on a shitty team and put up 20 a game.  Maybe get noticed with high point per game totals, and get a shot overseas or development league for NBA.

man yeah right lol he's bringing in athletes but mccabe is not starting over hardy period

Is it possible he's looking for a school closer to home, like a Detroit Mercy or Oakland??  Profile says his hometown is Detroit.

25 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Is it possible he's looking for a school closer to home, like a Detroit Mercy or Oakland??  Profile says his hometown is Detroit.

I think his parents moved to Vegas when he came to UNLV, I think his brother went to Coronado while they were here. I don’t know where they are now though. 

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Calipari has now made it a habit to bring in a senior to compliment his freshman-laden roster.  He’s bringing in Kellan Grady for next year.

Not just any sr you dolt.

Grady can play.

2 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

man yeah right lol he's bringing in athletes but mccabe is not starting over hardy period

Hardy isn't a point, not even that good a shooting guard.  Jordan started at point, as a freshman in the big 12.  Hardy barely made it off the bench for Oregon.  So, yeah Jordan would start at point over Hardy.  Kevin likes his pgs to play good D and be facilitators, scoring is a bonus.  Jordan has been coached by a hard nosed coach at WV who preaches defense,  Hardy is a black hole just like Hamilton.  They still might bring in someone better to start at point, sure as hell isn't going to be Hardy.  

1 hour ago, PlayersinVegas said:

lol Otz was probably laughing with the ISU AD like, hey you see what I did with a bunch of scrubs,  lol these not the players he was pulling to UNLV

He's probably a good coach, was just completely unmotivated here

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, PlayersinVegas said:

lol Otz was probably laughing with the ISU AD like, hey you see what I did with a bunch of scrubs,  lol these not the players he was pulling to UNLV

He is still picking up players from the summit league, got a big from the university of Denver. 

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

He's probably a good coach, was just completely unmotivated here

Night and day.  The Kruger's who know big time basketball and even more important, know Vegas and what UNLV expects(unreasonable as we may be).  Otz a mid-west guy who just was not the right fit, like a fish out of water.  Just offer everyone in Vegas to build relationships for 4-5 years down the road, I guess was his plan.  Just glad his boy at ISU took us(DRF) off the hook while paying Kevin's contract as well.  UNLV basketball finally catches a break,  bet's on how UNLV f's it up this time?  

Night and day.  The Kruger's who know big time basketball and even more important, know Vegas and what UNLV expects(unreasonable as we may be).  Otz a mid-west guy who just was not the right fit, like a fish out of water.  Just offer everyone in Vegas to build relationships for 4-5 years down the road, I guess was his plan.  Just glad his boy at ISU took us(DRF) off the hook while paying Kevin's contract as well.  UNLV basketball finally catches a break,  bet's on how UNLV f's it up this time?  

Maybe, just maybe UNLV finally ascends to some long term stability of high success under ckk. He's certainly making a ton of the right moves. I'm guessing the real payoff will be having LK and parts of his staff continuing to recruit the same guys they were already on at ou. The asst and players, relationships and targets from tx and the Midwest I'm certain there's some overlap there. 

UNLV just piggybacked years of program stability and recruiting with this hire and LKs retirement. 

Of course drf backed into all of this accidentally, but she will get a ton of credit for this even if her fbs guy flops. She will deserve credit too and I'm hoping she gets it! Then gets hired away after doing a soso not great job here, but hopefully setting the program up for an upgrade.

One can dream, but it does seem somewhat possible.

3 hours ago, vegasmdr said:

Hardy isn't a point, not even that good a shooting guard.  Jordan started at point, as a freshman in the big 12.  Hardy barely made it off the bench for Oregon.  So, yeah Jordan would start at point over Hardy.  Kevin likes his pgs to play good D and be facilitators, scoring is a bonus.  Jordan has been coached by a hard nosed coach at WV who preaches defense,  Hardy is a black hole just like Hamilton.  They still might bring in someone better to start at point, sure as hell isn't going to be Hardy.  

When Hardy had to play point here he was out of position, he is not a PG. But his value isn’t in his outside shooting, it’s his ability to slash to the basket. There were times I was frustrated with Hardy while he was here but it was obvious we needed him last year when he was pushed out for the other players Otz brought in. That turned out to be a big mistake.