Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

11 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

I really like that we are getting more athletic. I think Otz put together the least athletic team in Rebel history. Tell me if I'm wrong. 

He was an analytics nerd who thought athletic ability didn’t matter and all you had to do was shoot the most threes and he would win through some magical computer programming.  He didn’t want the team shooting easy shots and preferred chucking up bombs from Timbuktu all night long.

Truth is you need studs and dunking is not a bad percentage shot.  At UNLV you have to have athletes or nobody is going to pay to watch a bunch of fat out of shape losers  launching ridiculous three pointers all night while they play no defense and let the other team have layups.  At UNLV we knock you on your a$$ if you try to make a layup.  Not otz though, his computer says two pointers are good for the other team!

Let him load up on white unathletic kids at Iowa A&M.  Do your math bull$hit there with guys who can’t bench press a 100 pounds.  Loser

30 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

I really like that we are getting more athletic. I think Otz put together the least athletic team in Rebel history. Tell me if I'm wrong. 

Not wrong. 

That first bill bayno team was pretty lousy too.

But totz had two full off-seasons to put together this doozy.

38 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

It seems KK definitely prefers athletic players that can play across the court. He hinted at this in his interviews more or less.

The best teams have a fine balance of roles, skill, athleticism and balls to the wall effort.

Steve Logan on those Kmart Cinci teams. Bobby Hurley, Khalid El-Amin, Mike Bibby with Miles Simon, Kemba, Matteen Cleeves. None of them are out of this world athletes.

They are floor generals. McCabe isn't as good as any of those guys, but neither was KK. Mix one of those guys to run the show with a team full of athletes. That's a recipe for success at the college level. Doesn't work in the NBA.

17 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Not wrong. 

That first team bill bayno team was pretty lousy too.

But totz had two full off-seasons to put together this doozy.

Yeah but silly billy Bayno knew talent and he got it here quickly, he just didn’t know how to use it.  Remember when Bayno thought it was a good idea to have a lottery pick come off the bench because he started guys with seniority???

Bayno almost had the best UNLV team:

Greedy

Nesby

Odom

Kambala

Keon Clark

Any of us on this board could have coached that team to an undefeated season and National Championship.  Two lottery picks!  Odom could make the final four by himself he was that good!

I will never forgive Bayno for screwing that up.  Odom success would have allowed all the other lottery picks to lineup at UNLV for years to come.

Otz is a moron.  No lottery picks from his analytics.  Not on our team anyways.

3 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Yeah but silly billy bay no new talent and he got it here quickly, he just didn’t know how to use it.  Remember when Bayno though it was a good idea to have a lottery pick come off the bench because he started guys with seniority???

Greedy

Nesby

Odom

Kambala

Keon Clark

Any of us on this board could have coached that team to an undefeated season and National Championship.  Two lottery picks!  Odom could make the final four by himself he was that good!

Which lotto pick came off the bench? 

I don't remember that.

Just now, qwelish said:

Which lotto pick came off the bench? 

I don't remember that.

When Keon first got to UNLV he would bring him off the bench because he had some sort of seniority rule and he had walkons starting instead of a lottery pick!

The guy was out of his mind.  All he had to do was get out of the way and roll the ball out there.  Nobody was beating Keon and Odom and Nesby.  Nobody!

Just ignore the weed and hookers and we got at least two more banners in the rafters!

I really think Bayno was an OK coach and an out of this world recruiter. Guy just could never catch a break.

The Odom thing. The Keon Clark thing. The Kambala knee injury when the team was stacked and rolling. The cocaine thing, the hooker thing, the dentist thing.... etc

I never understood the dickel over greedy thing, though.

2 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

When Keon first got to UNLV he would bring him off the bench because he had some sort of seniority rule and he had walkons starting instead of a lottery pick!

The guy was out of his mind.  All he had to do was get out of the way and roll the ball out there.  Nobody was beating Keon and Odom and Nesby.  Nobody!

Just ignore the weed and hookers and we got at least two more banners in the rafters!

I forgot about that.

Oh also the Donovan I forget his last name knee injury right before he got to UNLV. 

17 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Yeah but silly billy Bayno knew talent and he got it here quickly, he just didn’t know how to use it.  Remember when Bayno thought it was a good idea to have a lottery pick come off the bench because he started guys with seniority???

Greedy

Nesby

Odom

Kambala

Keon Clark

I will never forgive Bayno for screwing that up.  Odom success would have allowed all the other lottery picks to lineup at UNLV for years to come.

Bayno teams were fun but also frustrating. I was hyped up for the return to the dance, only to get creamed. I will say the WAC final in 1998 was a blast.  Hey @utenation remember this? 

26 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Bayno teams were fun but also frustrating. I was hyped up for the return to the dance, only to get creamed. I will say the WAC final in 1998 was a blast.  Hey @utenation remember this? 

That was definitely a good game.  

Something tells me we won’t be seeing the highlights of us beating your ass by double digits in both Vegas and SLC that same year during the regular season or Utah’s journey to the national title game. 

You know how wild those conference tourneys can be. 

Just now, Joe from WY said:

I don't think they're down so much as they could use veteran leadership to sort of tide over the continuing influx of super freshmen they always seem to have. Hamilton wouldn't need to be a star there.

Could see Hamilton being a role player on a more loaded KY roster - Maybe even being around better talent will help him out - Lord knows UNLV's talent level wasn't that good 

4 minutes ago, qwelish said:

The fact that Bham was able to so what he did without another competent scorer or athlete around him makes it that much more impressive.

You know Cal. Always after those non nba caliber athletes. 🙄

Cal isn't looking at Hamilton because he's NBA talent - He's a senior with some skills that might compliment the young NBA talent he brings in 

2 hours ago, utenation said:

That was definitely a good game.  

Something tells me we won’t be seeing the highlights of us beating your ass by double digits in both Vegas and SLC that same year during the regular season or Utah’s journey to the national title game. 

You know how wild those conference tourneys can be. 

Yeah....WILD...like the inaugural 2000 MWC tourney. Can’t find the full championship game on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Cal isn't looking at Hamilton because he's NBA talent - He's a senior with some skills that might compliment the young NBA talent he brings in 

Spoken with Cal lately, eh?

There are talent level criteria to play there. 

He probably won't make it to UK, though.