Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

Who was cracking jokes (and what were the jokes?) about the African born players? 

hey bro I'm sorry I don't have recordings or screen shots from three years ago. I also joined this forum a little before Menzies was fired. But I really don't have any reason to make anything up. 

43 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

And the dumb bell one as well. Both were in bad taste...and other fans used similar jokes on Rebel-Net.

Hey Karen, "Ding dong" and "dumb bell," are not racist terms.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

As Juzang proved, sometimes coming home makes a difference too.

On our end, Miles Norris averaged 9.7 PPG in 25.5 minutes per game at UCSB after only 3 PPG in 10.5 minutes his freshman season at Oregon.   He was a consensus 4* top-100 recruit in high school. Just didn't pan out with the Ducks, but it did with UCSB.

A lot of times guys just need run. When you play for a loaded squad you have to be uber efficient with your minutes if you're not prolific. If not minutes get cut.

Getting extended floor time provides the experience to season your game.

4 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Menzies could never provide any information on who said what, never backed up his claims and instead just slandered the fan base. He said racial epithets were hurled at him on social media and nobody found anything at all.

This is so dumb. He said it happened on social. Of course it doesn't fit the bs narrative you're trying to paint, after the fact, that maybe he meant in his inbox? Duh! How hard is it to gather that people say dumb shit under anonymity on the internet? Astonishing, I know, right?

You sound goofy and the narrative you and others try to paint here - like it was anything more than a statement made in passing - is even more dumb. There was no investigation and the questions stopped here and on Twitter.

But you acting like it was proven to not be true and that it is some huge stretch that it probably was true makes you and the others who back that sentiment look like the biggest douche bag f'ing idiots!

It was a dumb statement by Menzies. True or not. Menzies did not fit Las Vegas or UNLV, duh! The difference in our positions is that while we could all clearly see that. It was your blind hatred for MM and your fan-like mentality that blinded you to seeing that it simply was not in the best interests of UNLV to cut ties at that point. Just from a clearly basketball and program stability perspective.

The entire thing culminated with the mwc board and UNLV fan twittersphere peanut galleries uniting to dubb sir Totznaburger savior and shining knight of UNLV. All after a season where he finished with the same amount of wins (17) and 1 more conference win than the coach he was such a huge upgrade over. 🤦‍♀️

Then this season. Record: 12-15 (8-10, 7th in MWC) 🤣🤦‍♀️🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♀️👍👌

Like literally you can't even make this shit up.

56 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Depends on the person. To some, pretty much anything can be interpreted as racist and offensive.

Offensive, yes but racist/racism is more specific and defined.

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

The funniest thing is that ol' Mediocre Marv is pining for a new job while simultaneously whining about not getting a "fair share" at his last one. That's definitely the first thing an employer wants to hear, how unjust the last place treated you. 

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

51 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

The funniest thing is that ol' Mediocre Marv is pining for a new job while simultaneously whining about not getting a "fair share" at his last one. That's definitely the first thing an employer wants to hear, how unjust the last place treated you. 

that's not a quote or anything so who knows if he said that. but I'm sure he's way past UNLV...

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

This is so dumb. He said it happened on social. Of course it doesn't fit the bs narrative you're trying to paint, after the fact, that maybe he meant in his inbox? Duh! How hard is it to gather that people say dumb shit under anonymity on the internet? Astonishing, I know, right?

Here’s what he said: 

“You quote reliable sources, I would hope. I would think that you would have some integrity about the information that you put out there. The Coach Pitino rumor is nonsense. I haven’t even addressed it because it’s unaddressable. You let social media do what they do. When I got hired here, there was a tirade of racial epithets, there was a tirade of negative stuff. You think [my wife] Tammy and I cared about that? We were happy as pigs in slop we got our dream job.”

Of course UNLV students/fans went back and looked for this and couldn’t find anything regarding a “tirade of racial epithets” hurled at Menzies in social media. Didn’t find anything just the opposite, which was support. 

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

You sound goofy and the narrative you and others try to paint here - like it was anything more than a statement made in passing - is even more dumb. There was no investigation and the questions stopped here and on Twitter.

But you acting like it was proven to not be true and that it is some huge stretch that it probably was true makes you and the others who back that sentiment look like the biggest douche bag f'ing idiots!

image.gif.043c654d050a7d06c5461556cfeac39d.gif

But seriously you think UNLV administrators would ignore a statement made by one of their own high profile coaches?  They were concerned and they take those matters seriously. They asked Menzies for anything he can provide so they can investigate it, find the person/s etc. Because for UNLV, Menzies was their employee and wanted to make sure there wasn’t a safety issue etc. Nothing was provided to them, that’s why there was no follow up on that issue, nothing was clarified etc. 

Begs the question, of why bring it up in the first place?