Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Men's Basketball Off-Season Thread !!!

8 minutes ago, Shaker said:

I am expecting to hear about Kruger’s assistant coaches in the next couple days. Then shortly after start hearing some recruit names coming to UNLV.  Still think we lose a couple more players from the team also.  Going to be an interesting summer.

We waiting on background checks?

Interesting..

Everyone here gives us sh*t for going back 30 years, but I was just watching the post game show with Kenny Smith, Charles, etc. talking about Gonzaga. They agreed Gonzaga is the best team this year, but that Mobley won't be afraid of Gonzaga's defense. Kenny said 'It's not like they are the 28, 29-0 UNLV Runnin' Rebels with Greg Anthony, Larry Johnson, Anderson Hunt, and Stacey Augmon where you're like in fear of them because of their defensive presence as well."

We didn't even tell him to say that, :D, he went back 30 years all on his own.

But it's irrelevant now.

Of course.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Interesting..

Everyone here gives us sh*t for going back 30 years, but I was just watching the post game show with Kenny Smith, Charles, etc. talking about Gonzaga. They agreed Gonzaga is the best team this year, but that Mobley won't be afraid of Gonzaga's defense. Kenny said 'It's not like they are the 28, 29-0 UNLV Runnin' Rebels with Greg Anthony, Larry Johnson, Anderson Hunt, and Stacey Augmon where you're like in fear of them because of their defensive presence as well."

But it's irrelevant now.

Of course.

There a good amount of differences of course, but I see a lot of similarities between the UNLV of 77-92 and Gonzaga under Mark Few, and Mark Few has Gonzaga on the precipce of what UNLV was about to become (a major power/dynasty out west in a smaller conference). Gonzaga will have to win the national championship, of course, but with the recruits coming in, they could really open the flood gates for years.

Gonzaga doesn't have the defensive presence those UNLV teams did, but they are a very balanced team. As long as they don't underestimate anyone, they have a very good chance of running the table. The Mobley brothers will definitely present a challenge, but I think Gonzaga will be able to break their zone down with the amount of intelligent players they have, as well as the quality of guard play and interior passing.

I'll be holding my breath for them. People give Gonzaga a lot of flack for some unknown reason, but they are about to do something very special. Some will claim they will have an asterisk next to their name if they do run the table, but they won't...and no one will be able to take away an undefeated season from them except for a few online naysayers.

About 1,000 mens players currently in the transfer portal. 

The ncaa is now the official aau circuit for older kids and young adults.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It lends itself to tons of high level recruitable athletes. No reason why UNLV should not grab its fair share of impact guys. Coach has to put it together. 

16 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

We waiting on background checks?

Don't know what they are waiting for.   First off clarify the person I got my info from is probably right half the time and not so correct the other half.  But stated one assistant has been offered and accepted the spot and a second assistant has been offered but hadn't heard if accepted or not. But expecting an announcement

17 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Interesting..

But it's irrelevant now.

Of course.

It is relevant in terms of history.  That's pretty much it.

It was a great team with 3 first round picks.  Still a better team than what Gonzaga has now.  They should be remembered and recalled.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

23 minutes ago, noloveforrebels said:

not waiting--2 seniors are leaving regardless (to here I hear) and vegas kid to here (I hear)--just my info

Two OU seniors to UNLV?  Brady Manek & Austin Reeves I hope!!

Vegas kid to here? Jalen Hill?

2 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Otz brought the hammer down a few times to get the players to compete. Brought in EML, Wood, Grill etc. 

Yeah I won't say he totally disregarded it, but if Kevin is anything like his Dad... let's just say when Kevin says he wants players who love to compete, I take it more seriously than when many other coaches say that (Otz as an example here).