Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Any basketball players..

here? I played a lot growing up and was still playing pick-up at my gym before Covid.

Anyway,  I just watched Damian Lillard end the All-Star game with a 3 pointer from 1 step over half court. No big deal, right? The guy is amazing.

What I find incredible is that he shot the ball with the same motion as if he was taking a 10 footer; he went straight up. I just can't wrap my head around the physics of that. For me, and I'm sure all of you, as well as almost all D1 players, that shot is going to be a heave.

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

here? I played a lot growing up and was still playing pick-up at my gym before Covid.

Anyway,  I just watched Damian Lillard end the All-Star game with a 3 pointer from 1 step over half court. No big deal, right? The guy is amazing.

What I find incredible is that he shot the ball with the same motion as if he was taking a 10 footer; he went straight up. I just can't wrap my head around the physics of that. For me, and I'm sure all of you, as well as almost all D1 players, that shot is going to be a heave.

I played a lot growing up. We still play in the driveway. I saw Kobe drain a jumper like that when he was an 18 year old rookie. Blows my mind. I shoot from the hip.

11 minutes ago, BodyBagGame said:

I played a lot growing up. We still play in the driveway. I saw Kobe drain a jumper like that when he was an 18 year old rookie. Blows my mind. I shoot from the hip.

I don't "shoot from the hip" from 10 but I do from 40... and with a moving start.

I can shoot from half court relatively normally if I have a little momentum. I set shot 3s like free throws in my backyard for funsies all the time.

the office dwight GIF

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I'm a legend in my driveway. :ph34r:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Its mind boggling to watch ALL of those guys shoot the ball. They make it look so easy. 

I played in high school and was a very average player. Good shooter and decent hops/quickness but poor ball handler. Shooting from half court with regular shooting form is not normal. That’s one of the reasons these guys are pros. That and way above average god given size and athleticism. 

I don’t know, I shot those near half court shots thousands of times just messing around through the years.  As a grown man it’s just muscle memory to step out there and make the shot at least close uncontested.  Even today I can probably hit a half court shot within 5-6 tries uncontested. Same with regular three’s but won’t miss three in a row uncontested.  The difference is when you have 6’8” guys with pogo sticks for legs keeping you from getting your shot off. 

I read Woosh's words, but I hear Uncle Rico's voice.

Interesting....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I don’t know, I shot those near half court shots thousands of times just messing around through the years.  As a grown man it’s just muscle memory to step out there and make the shot at least close uncontested.  Even today I can probably hit a half court shot within 5-6 tries uncontested. Same with regular three’s but won’t miss three in a row uncontested.  The difference is when you have 6’8” guys with pogo sticks for legs keeping you from getting your shot off. 

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I played basketball for 4 years in high school (late 80s), intramural in college, and even some “town team” leagues for fun and exercise. I was decent and loved the game probably like most on this board.

So my kids are going through HS sports now, and the change from when I played and now is crazy. Like most that play high school sports these days, kids basically have to also play for a club team to have ANY chance at success or even making their HS team. So we travel to Sacramento (Hardwood Palace for example) 20+ times per year so my kids can compete in various sports. Long story, I watch a lot of games. And facts, there are 10-year-olds that can handle the ball better than varsity level players 30 years ago. Shooting is much better than it was then too. The amount of time and money that goes into practice and coaching and the process these days... vs back then is shocking. The game looks different at the elementary, middle and high school levels too. I’d bet you kids these days will have played 20x’s as many games at the same age. Maybe more. 

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I played in high school and was a very average player. Good shooter and decent hops/quickness but poor ball handler. Shooting from half court with regular shooting form is not normal. That’s one of the reasons these guys are pros. That and way above average god given size and athleticism. 

I would basically echo all of this. Played in High School myself. Was a pretty good shooter (actually, better from further out, but I missed the adoption of the 3 point line by a few years), but playing as a guard, I was somewhat deficient in ball handling (especially relative to all the super quick players nowadays who, IMO, also happen to all “palm” the ball relentlessly- something that was actually enforced back in the day)... 

Even tho’ guys like Dame and Steph  are “only” 6’2” and 6’3”, respectively, that’s probably still taller than most here (I’m 5’11” and change). A guy like him would look huge - even standing next to me, although I’d (presently) outweigh both by a few pounds. So these are clearly very strong guys (including, of course, their well honed shooting wrists and also their super- strong legs these NBA players must have), so I’m not at all surprised that their shooting motion from such great distances remains more or less the same.  Especially when it comes to the much larger/taller guys than Dame and Steph, etc., that they compete with every day...

Funny, but my last shot in High School was from half court. We were trailing by 2 and the clock was winding down. I heaved it (in a pretty normal shooting motion, albeit on the run) and it was true all the way to the rim. It was a bank, but it ended up rolling around the rim and out.  I was crushed as I really thought I had made it (and had made one from 3/4 court in practice that same year).  Tough way to end my hoops “career”...

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I played basketball for 4 years in high school (late 80s), intramural in college, and even some “town team” leagues for fun and exercise. I was decent and loved the game probably like most on this board.

So my kids are going through HS sports now, and the change from when I played and now is crazy. Like most that play high school sports these days, kids basically have to also play for a club team to have ANY chance at success or even making their HS team. So we travel to Sacramento (Hardwood Palace for example) 20+ times per year so my kids can compete in various sports. Long story, I watch a lot of games. And facts, there are 10-year-olds that can handle the ball better than varsity level players 30 years ago. Shooting is much better than it was then too. The amount of time and money that goes into practice and coaching and the process these days... vs back then is shocking. The game looks different at the elementary, middle and high school levels too. I’d bet you kids these days will have played 20x’s as many games at the same age. Maybe more. 

Played 2 years in HS (late 70's)..........used to go to UNR & play with the Edgar Jones, Johnny High team.........could dunk pretty easy with a step, never a great vertical jumper........then college intramurals, city league thru my 20's & then local sports club in my 30's 

These guys today are a different animal then the NBA of my younger days