Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

MWC MBB Awards, how would you have it?

On 3/5/2021 at 10:51 PM, sdsuphilip4 said:

Not saying how you think it will be, but how would you have it.

MWC POY: Nemias Queta, I think Queta has been the best player in conference play and this is how the award should be given away. His 2 way impact has been terrific, his offensive game has improved a lot from last year. I agree that Alston is better offensively and Matt has been the best player on the best team, but I'd still give it to Queta. The issue I have with Alston is consistent mediocre defense, it's not a coincidence they had him on non scorers at SDSU, and his lack of physicality can be a issue.

MWC DPOY: Nemias Queta, this is the easiest choice for sure.

MWC COY: Brian Dutcher, there were really no big surprises this year so give it to the conference winner.

MWC FOY: Marcus Williams, very little freshman contributors league wide. Tre Coleman has case

MWC NOY: Grant Sherfield, easy choice

1st Team

Nemias Queta

Matt Mitchell

Derrick Alston

Jordan Schakel

David Roddy

2nd Team

Isaiah Stevens

Grant Sherfield

Nathan Mensah

Justin Bean

Desmond Cambridge

3rd Team

Marcus Williams

Orlando Robinson

Abu Kigab

Adam Thistlewood

Kendle Moore

Will get couple things out of the way: I know a lot of people think Hamilton should make a 2nd team or third team but reality for me is his efficiency and shot chucking was a negative impact on UNLV, not positive. Did you know that as of this moment Bryce Hamilton takes the highest % of his teams shots in the entire country? He does this on a 47.3 TS%, to put it into comparison a average TS% is 54-55 or so. Yes I have schakel on first team, his spacing he creates for SDSU is so huge and his efficiency is insane, it's true he has real limitations but his impact is still huge. 

I like the numbers babe! 😘

I’d have Nick Blake as the POTY in the MW and TJ Otzelberger as the COTY.

24 minutes ago, BodyBagGame said:

Bleacher Report named Queta National DPOY.

That is very cool for him and the MWC. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934779-bleacher-reports-2020-21-mens-college-basketball-end-of-season-awards

Now, if we could just find a way to keep him around for 2 more years. (crazy to think that is even an option)

9 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

That is very cool for him and the MWC. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934779-bleacher-reports-2020-21-mens-college-basketball-end-of-season-awards

Now, if we could just find a way to keep him around for 2 more years. (crazy to think that is even an option)

That is pretty solid recognition. Good for him. He deserves it.

Good luck keeping him around! He's going to a millionaire soon.

Men_s_Superlatives.png?width=1128&height

Thoughts? Some thought Medved might win COY. Mitchell as POY?

2020-21 All-Mountain West Men’s Basketball Team

First Team
Derrick Alston, Jr., Sr., G, Boise State
David Roddy, So., F, Colorado State
Grant Sherfield, So., G, Nevada
Matt Mitchell, Sr., F, San Diego State
Neemias Queta, Jr., C, Utah State

Second Team
Abu Kigab, Sr., F, Boise State
Isaiah Stevens, So., G, Colorado State
Orlando Robinson, So., F, Fresno State
Jordan Schakel, Sr., G, San Diego State
Bryce Hamilton, Jr., G, UNLV
Justin Bean, Jr., F, Utah State

Third Team
A.J Walker, Jr., G, Air Force
Desmond Cambridge Jr., Jr., G, Nevada
Makuach Maluach, Sr., G, New Mexico
David Jenkins, Jr., Jr., G, UNLV
Marcus Williams, Fr., G, Wyoming

Defensive Team
Nathan Mensah, Jr., F, San Diego State
Cheikh Mbacke Diong, Sr., F, UNLV
Marco Anthony, Jr., G, Utah State

Honorable Mention
Adam Thistlewood, Jr., F, Colorado State
Richard Washington, Sr., G, San José State
Hunter Maldonado, Jr., G, Wyoming

Player of the Year:  Matt Mitchell, Sr., F, San Diego State
Defensive Player of the Year: Neemias Queta, Jr., C, Utah State
Freshman of the Year: Marcus Williams, G, Wyoming
Newcomer of the Year: Grant Sherfield, So., G, Nevada
Sixth Man of the Year: Alphonso Anderson, Sr., F, Utah State
Coach of the Year: Brian Dutcher, San Diego State

11 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Men_s_Superlatives.png?width=1128&height

Thoughts? Some thought Medved might win COY. Mitchell as POY?

2020-21 All-Mountain West Men’s Basketball Team

First Team
Derrick Alston, Jr., Sr., G, Boise State
David Roddy, So., F, Colorado State
Grant Sherfield, So., G, Nevada

Second Team
Abu Kigab, Sr., F, Boise State
Isaiah Stevens, So., G, Colorado State
Orlando Robinson, So., F, Fresno State
Jordan Schakel, Sr., G, San Diego State
Bryce Hamilton, Jr., G, UNLV
Justin Bean, Jr., F, Utah State

Third Team
A.J Walker, Jr., G, Air Force
Desmond Cambridge Jr., Jr., G, Nevada
Makuach Maluach, Sr., G, New Mexico
David Jenkins, Jr., Jr., G, UNLV
Marcus Williams, Fr., G, Wyoming

Defensive Team
Cheikh Mbacke Diong, Sr., F, UNLV
Marco Anthony, Jr., G, Utah State

Honorable Mention
Adam Thistlewood, Jr., F, Colorado State
Richard Washington, Sr., G, San José State
Hunter Maldonado, Jr., G, Wyoming

Player of the Year:  Matt Mitchell, Sr., F, San Diego State
Defensive Player of the Year: Neemias Queta, Jr., C, Utah State
Freshman of the Year: Marcus Williams, G, Wyoming
Newcomer of the Year: Grant Sherfield, So., G, Nevada
Sixth Man of the Year: Alphonso Anderson, Sr., F, Utah State
Coach of the Year: Brian Dutcher, San Diego State

Queta should have been the player of the year.  Mitchell missed ~5 games in  conference.  Mitchell is a great player, but Queta is the most valuable player in the conference.  His offense is improved and the way he impacts the game on the defensive end of the court is second to none.  Queta is only the 2nd or 3rd player ever in NCAA college basketball to have over 65 assists and over 65 blocks in the same year.  One of the other players to achieve that mark is Tim Duncan.

Yeah, apparently you are only allowed to win both POY and DPOY if you are an Aztec.

In fact, I would go as far as to say Mitchell is the least deserving POY candidate of anyone on the 1st team.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the All-Defensive team, I didn't think they named one and I had mentioned earlier in this thread that it would be great if they did for a guy like Marco Anthony to get recognized.

19 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

Queta should have been the player of the year.  Mitchell missed ~5 games in  conference.  Mitchell is a great player, but Queta is the most valuable player in the conference.  His offense is improved and the way he impacts the game on the defensive end of the court is second to none.  Queta is only the 2nd or 3rd player ever in NCAA college basketball to have over 65 assists and over 65 blocks in the same year.  One of the other players to achieve that mark is Tim Duncan.

Queta has been 1st or 2nd in advanced defensive stats in the NCAA the whole year. Mitchell is fantastic, but I think Queta was more deserving of the POY award. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

Queta has been 1st or 2nd in advanced defensive stats in the NCAA the whole year. Mitchell is fantastic, but I think Queta was more deserving of the POY award. 

Queta not only put up numbers that have never been accomplished in the history of the league (averaging: 14.5 ppg 9.9 rebounds 2.9 assists 3.0 blocks) but he did things on a national level that have not been done in a number of decades by any player in the country.

23 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

Mitchell actually only missed 2 games and half of 1.  And SDSU went 1-2 in those three games.  So of the only 3 conference losses SDSU had, Mitchell was out in 2 of them.   I think Mitchell is very deserving.  You can make a case for Queta for sure.  How good would Utah State be without him?  But to the winner goes the spoils.

23 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Yeah, apparently you are only allowed to win both POY and DPOY if you are an Aztec.

In fact, I would go as far as to say Mitchell is the least deserving POY candidate of anyone on the 1st team.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the All-Defensive team, I didn't think they named one and I had mentioned earlier in this thread that it would be great if they did for a guy like Marco Anthony to get recognized.

I think that Queta is the best player in the league (which is how I would vote on POY) but I think it's pretty hard to say that Mitchell is underserving of the award.
Mitchell was clearly the best player on the league's best team and that's a pretty good tiebreaker if all other qualifications are similar (stats, impact on team's success, all-around game, etc.).

Probably splitting hairs here, but if I were doing a fantasy draft of MWC players, I'd pick Queta first because his skill set is so hard to replicate and to defend. But if I were to pick a player to win my team a game, I'd pick Mitchell because his game translates against any matchup and if he is cooking, that means the offense is humming at all 3 levels.

It appears the media votes like the former and the coaches votes like the latter.

Mitchell is the straw that stirs the drink...of a team that came from 7th place to 1st...to be ranked 19th...by winning 11 straight games...to win the conference championship....and be a lock to go to March Madness...Queta...for all his skills and broken records...did not do that...

55 minutes ago, namssa said:

Mitchell actually only missed 2 games and half of 1.  And SDSU went 1-2 in those three games.  So of the only 3 conference losses SDSU had, Mitchell was out in 2 of them.   I think Mitchell is very deserving.  You can make a case for Queta for sure.  How good would Utah State be without him?  But to the winner goes the spoils.

Huh? This sounds like the kind of misinformation the coaches probably bought into without actually spending any time looking at it. Mitchell missed 3 full games (USU, AFA and SJSU). He did not play in only 1 of their conference losses - the second game to USU. He also played 26 minutes in the first USU game and he averages 28 so....not sure how that is missing "half" a game, not to mention the game was over by the time he left that one anyway.

In the games he missed his team actually went 2-1 and his team performed better without him. SDSU lost by only 5 to USU without him after losing by 12 with him. They beat AFA by 32 with him and 37 without, and beat SJSU by 22 with him and 31 without. In every instance that he didn't play his team performed better so I'm not sure he's the straw that stirs any drinks.

7 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Huh? This sounds like the kind of misinformation the coaches probably bought into without actually spending any time looking at it. Mitchell missed 3 full games (USU, AFA and SJSU). He did not play in only 1 of their conference losses - the second game to USU. He also played 26 minutes in the first USU game and he averages 28 so....not sure how that is missing "half" a game, not to mention the game was over by the time he left that one anyway.

In the games he missed his team actually went 2-1 and his team performed better without him. SDSU lost by only 5 to USU without him after losing by 12 with him. They beat AFA by 32 with him and 37 without, and beat SJSU by 22 with him and 31 without. In every instance that he didn't play his team performed better so I'm not sure he's the straw that stirs any drinks.

I forgot about the SJSU game where he sat out as a precaution (he would have played but it was SJSU).  The first AFA game was the game after the injury and he came off the bench and played less than 15 minutes in the 2nd AFA game.   I don't think you can take away much from those games.  And he did get injured in the first Utah State game.  SDSU was down 9 when it happened with about 5 or 6 minutes left, so sure SDSU likely would have lost that game, but the game wasn't "over".  So yes he missed the ending of one of the losses and the entire games in the other.  Make of it as you will, but its not misinformation.  Bottom line, he is the best player, on the best team.  And deserving of the award.

1 minute ago, namssa said:

I forgot about the SJSU game where he sat out as a precaution (he would have played but it was SJSU).  The first AFA game was the game after the injury and he came off the bench and played less than 15 minutes in the 2nd AFA game.   I don't think you can take away much from those games.  And he did get injured in the first Utah State game.  SDSU was down 9 when it happened with about 5 or 6 minutes left, so sure SDSU likely would have lost that game, but the game wasn't "over".  So yes he missed the ending of one of the losses and the entire games in the other.  Make of it as you will, but its not misinformation.  Bottom line, he is the best player, on the best team.  And deserving of the award.

What part of "Mitchell actually only missed 2 games and half of 1.  And SDSU went 1-2 in those three games.  So of the only 3 conference losses SDSU had, Mitchell was out in 2 of them." that you stated above it not misinformation? It is literally all completely incorrect.

1 minute ago, TrueAg said:

What part of "Mitchell actually only missed 2 games and half of 1.  And SDSU went 1-2 in those three games.  So of the only 3 conference losses SDSU had, Mitchell was out in 2 of them." that you stated above it not misinformation? It is literally all completely incorrect.

He played in the CSU loss and most of the first USU loss.  The aggies were up by 8-9 points when he was injured at ~5-6 minute mark in the game.  So he basically played in 2 of the 3 losses.