Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

I can’t believe this was allowed on the air

I mean this is pretty racist....

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

I mean this is pretty racist....

Holy crap. Of course you think it is because you’re an out of control PC guy. 

The determination of it being racist depends on the creators intent. To me, it’s obviously intended to be a funny cartoon using stereotypes that are so ridiculously over the top, they’re funny. It might even be a way of making fun of and being sarcastic with stupid stereotypes.

This is MTV, this is an adult cartoon not intended for kids to actually learn from. Your mentality is exactly what’s ruined comedy. 

kat.jpg

12 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The determination of it being racist depends on the creators intent. To me, it’s obviously intended to be a funny cartoon using stereotypes that are so ridiculously over the top, they’re funny. It might even be a way of making fun of and being sarcastic with stupid stereotypes.

This is MTV, this is an adult cartoon not intended for kids to actually learn from. Your mentality is exactly what’s ruined comedy. 

Do you really think this is funny? Do you not think the creators of this video were trying to be funny at the expense of those they portray? I’m not a PC guy but this is not a way of being sarcastic with stereotypes. My son’s baseball coach last week made similar noises and Kung fu gesticulations when he asked to leave early to go to his grandmothers for Chinese language lessons. Their Caucasian mother was livid and was planning to go to the district to complain. I had to talk her down (as most Asians do when confronted with racism) as this would likely result in the coach’s firing. And the result would be another white guy that hates and blames a minority for their circumstances. See the people who defend using China virus or Kung Flu as an example. What’s their real motivation?

19 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Do you really think this is funny? Do you not think the creators of this video were trying to be funny at the expense of those they portray? I’m not a PC guy but this is not a way of being sarcastic with stereotypes. My son’s baseball coach last week made similar noises and Kung fu gesticulations when he asked to leave early to go to his grandmothers for Chinese language lessons. Their Caucasian mother was livid and was planning to go to the district to complain. I had to talk her down (as most Asians do when confronted with racism) as this would likely result in the coach’s firing. And the result would be another white guy that hates and blames a minority for their circumstances. See the people who defend using China virus or Kung Flu as an example. What’s their real motivation?

All good and valid points you raise.

Where is the line ? 

When you cancel Dr Suess, perhaps it's time to have that conversation.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

4 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Where is the line ? 

Cancel culture is ridiculous as is cultural appropriation claims. Banning historical figures for images or perceived tolerance of societal norms of their time does nothing for the disenfranchised group and only serves to divide and cause resentment. I hope no one tries to cancel MTV for that stupid video. Most people don’t need a cancel mob to identify racism and I think having a conversation with those in that mob would be frustratingly unproductive. I know, I’ve tried having conversations with my college age daughter and her friends.

22 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Where is the line ? 

He’s not cancelled. A few unpublished manuscripts were deemed inappropriate. I assure you Horton, Grinch et al will remain in print. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

Yes, you very much are a PC guy. Don’t lie. 

That was really bizarre comparing a dumb baseball coach with a cartoon. 

kat.jpg

This was a clip from Wonder Showzen, which was an absurdist and farcical sketch show that was meant to be cryptic, deeply satirical, layered with irony and at times shocking. It was a kind of last bastion of a 90s sensibility that was often simultaneously provocative and detached, and comedy at the time often used these sorts of approaches to comment on racial and social inequality issues. I actually think that sensibility was much better than the current censoriousness. But for all the great material, you also get clips that don't age well. 

I am more concerned about any high-level tsk tsking over this sort of thing than the existence of the thing itself. People who think that this is just a reflection of the 90s and early 2000s being a more racist time, and a time of less awareness about racial issues, have no context. People just dealt with it in a different (better, IMO) way.

Just my 2 cents. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Yes, you very much are a PC guy. Don’t lie. 

That was really bizarre comparing a dumb baseball coach with a cartoon. 

Just because you can't make a correlation between a video making fun of the speech of stereotypical caricature of Asians and that of a person in a supervisory position making fun of the speech of a stereotypical caricature of Asians is more about you not being intellectually honest. You can be non PC guy and still make observations on whether something is racist or not. In your world, if someone disagrees with your interpretation, it must be because they are a social justice warrior or PC.

Speech police drive me crazy. People need to quit be so sensitive and get a thicker skin. When someone makes a racist comment chalk it up to their ignorance. If you want to cry about it go ahead and cry about it. If you want to fight over it go ahead and fight over it.

28 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Speech police drive me crazy. People need to quit be so sensitive and get a thicker skin. When someone makes a racist comment chalk it up to their ignorance. If you want to cry about it go ahead and cry about it. If you want to fight over it go ahead and fight over it.

Your final two sentences are at odds with your second. What is your actual point?

And “When someone makes a racist comment chalk it up to their ignorance”? Are you really suggesting that racist commentary always arises out of ignorance by the commentator? While I know it happens—I’ve done it myself any number of times across my 57 ears—I don’t buy that thinking for a second. Preemptively excusing such language in this day and age, when folks are far more aware of what constitutes racial insensitivity just doesn’t cut it. People who defend that language as no big deal probably have some issues they aren’t admitting to.

56 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Just because you can't make a correlation between a video making fun of the speech of stereotypical caricature of Asians and that of a person in a supervisory position making fun of the speech of a stereotypical caricature of Asians is more about you not being intellectually honest. You can be non PC guy and still make observations on whether something is racist or not. In your world, if someone disagrees with your interpretation, it must be because they are a social justice warrior or PC.

Identinarianism is wrong. It's bad here, it's a  lot worse in Asia/Asian culture. A mixed race child is going to face much than less racism in AmeriKKKa than an Asian country #sadbuttrue

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

18 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

"let white people decide what is racism for all the other people who aren't capable of doing it for themselves" sure sounds good. what could go wrong?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

This is Contard in a nutshell across almost any issue. He is the fount of all wisdom and common sense thought. Recognize! Disagree with him on politics and you’re suddenly a lefty nutcase regardless of your conservative bonafides. 

He remains the least self-aware poster on this forum.

56 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

umm...isn't "cancelling" the offending party a good and less violent way to "fight over it"?