Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Sunday MWC Hoops: Nevada@Utah State - WHO YA’ GOT?

1 minute ago, TrueAg said:

Nope. Not really a threat and other than money doesn't offer him anything different than being at USU.

The real problems are jobs that open up in the midwest and particularly Minnesota, where he and his wife grew up. They both have aging parents back there and consider that home. He does have kids in HS and one at USU so it would difficult timing for them as kids but it may be his dream job. He and his wife have both commented on how much they love Logan but we'd be foolish to think the opening at Minnesota wouldn't be attractive to him if he is considered.

He and Medved might be fighting for Minnesota. I think there will be lots of open jobs this year, interesting to watch it play out.

3 hours ago, battle.borne said:

The unexpected 18 days off showed last night.  USU was much quicker, sharper in all aspects and better conditioned.  Nevada is looking like a shell of it's former self and the timing couldnt be any worse.

Utah State had the same COVID break just before Boise otherwise we would have swept BJC. We have our ugly sisters in Wyoming to thank for the COVID break

5 minutes ago, wyo 1 said:

He and Medved might be fighting for Minnesota. I think there will be lots of open jobs this year, interesting to watch it play out.

If you were Minnie's AD, which one of those guys would be your first choice?  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

23 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Nope. Not really a threat and other than money doesn't offer him anything different than being at USU.

The real problems are jobs that open up in the midwest and particularly Minnesota, where he and his wife grew up. They both have aging parents back there and consider that home. He does have kids in HS and one at USU so it would difficult timing for them as kids but it may be his dream job. He and his wife have both commented on how much they love Logan but we'd be foolish to think the opening at Minnesota wouldn't be attractive to him if he is considered.

Craig isn’t the only MWC coach who would be under consideration.

https://gopherhole.com/10-most-interesting-options-to-replace-richard-pitino/

3 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Craig isn’t the only MWC coach who would be under consideration.

https://gopherhole.com/10-most-interesting-options-to-replace-richard-pitino/

I was not aware of Dutch's connections to Minnesota. 

If he's offered, and passes, he probably won't leave SDSU until he retires. 

I think Smith would take the job in a heartbeat. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

15 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Well, this is coach Smith's current record versus the MWC:

• 6-0 vs SJSU
  • 5-0 vs WYO
  • 6-1 vs UNM
  • 5-1 vs AFA
  • 5-1 vs FRESNO ST.
  • 5-1 vs CSU
  • 4-1 vs UNR
  • 3-2 vs UNLV
  • 5-3 vs SDSU
  • 2-3 vs BSU (only 1 home game for Smith in this series)

1 regular season title, 2 tournament titles.

That is from day 1....not some record after 3 years of rebuild or something. It's been pretty amazing.

40 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

This + Utah considers itself way too far above USU to hire a coach from there. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

50 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I know Smith has done really well in the MW, but he inherited Merrell, Bean and Brito. Medved on the other hand didn’t have that. Not talking anything away from Smith, I think he is a really good coach but so is Medved. Medved has a good track record of improving the teams he’s coached going back to Drake and Furman. 

Don’t think you could go wrong with either of them, but I think I would take Niko.

15 minutes ago, wyo 1 said:

I know Smith has done really well in the MW, but he inherited Merrell, Bean and Brito. Medved on the other hand didn’t have that. Not talking anything away from Smith, I think he is a really good coach but so is Medved. Medved has a good track record of improving the teams he’s coached going back to Drake and Furman. 

Don’t think you could go wrong with either of them, but I think I would take Niko.

Those are some good points.  Of note Bean was a walk on his Freshman year and did not start playing until half way through coach Smith's 1st season.  Prior to Smith coming Brito was pretty much irrelevant from the other coaching staff.  Now Merrill, he was an absolute stud.  People forget that when Smith arrived we lost our highest rated recruit or close to it and one of our top scorers the prior 2 years in McEwen to Marquette.  He took a team that was basically a .500 team a couple of years prior that had never finished above 7th place under Duryea and finished co-champs one year, 2nd the next year and tournament champions both years.  That is a pretty remarkable job.  I don't know much about Medved, but he is for sure growing a really good program at CSU.  His team next year is going to be scary good.  I also don't know much about Medved's personality, but Coach Smith is second to no one in terms of his infectious personality in my opinion.  They both would be really good candidates.

19 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

Those are some good points.  Of note Bean was a walk on his Freshman year and did not start playing until half way through coach Smith's 1st season.  Prior to Smith coming Brito was pretty much irrelevant from the other coaching staff.  Now Merrill, he was an absolute stud.  People forget that when Smith arrived we lost our highest rated recruit or close to it and one of our top scorers the prior 2 years in McEwen to Marquette.  He took a team that was basically a .500 team a couple of years prior that had never finished above 7th place under Duryea and finished co-champs one year, 2nd the next year and tournament champions both years.  That is a pretty remarkable job.  I don't know much about Medved, but he is for sure growing a really good program at CSU.  His team next year is going to be scary good.  I also don't know much about Medved's personality, but Coach Smith is second to no one in terms of his infectious personality in my opinion.  They both would be really good candidates.

The biggest plus for Smith was inheriting Bean and Merrill and recruiting Queta. Who knows how much Brito, also from Portugal, had to do with getting Queta. It’s the one reservation I would have with Smith. He’s a good coach, but Queta, Bean, and Merrill fell into his lap and have been a huge part of his success. I also question why he didn’t pick up a point guard last year when it was an obvious deficiency after McKewen left. 

Medved pretty much started from scratch and has a very young team competing for the top spot in the MWC. 

If I had to pick between the two I would take Medved. 

36 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

I got to know them both when they were assistants for Tim Miles at CSU. Craig and Niko are both very personable.  When Eustachy got canned, it was pretty much in the bag that CSU would pursue both Craig and Niko. My personal preference was Niko but I can point to plenty of other CSU supporters who preferred Craig. Either would have been great hires. Its worked out well for both schools so far.

4 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I got to know them both when they were assistants for Tim Miles at CSU. Craig and Niko are both very personable.  When Eustachy got canned, it was pretty much in the bag that CSU would pursue both Craig and Niko. My personal preference was Niko but I can point to plenty of other CSU supporters who preferred Craig. Either would have been great hires. Its worked out well for both schools so far.

Niko is building something special at CSU. If he and Smith stay I expect a battle royale at the top between USU, CSU, and SDSU every year. 

That said, Smith's buyout percentage went from 75% of remaining salary to 25% in the most recent contact. I know he and his wife have said they love Logan, but there are several million reason$ to love a place like Minnesota. If one of those high profile midwest jobs open up, he's gone IMO.