Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

since1670

Dallas under strong consideration to host men’s NIT Tournament

The 2021 NIT will be played in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex with a 16-team field, the NCAA announced on Monday.

Typically a 32-team tournament with early rounds played at home sites, the NIT, like the NCAA Tournament, was moved to one geographic location amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The move comes after last year's tournament was canceled.

Games will be played at Comerica Center in Frisco and the UNT Coliseum on the campus of North Texas in Denton. The tournament begins March 17, with the championship taking place on March 28.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

So with 16 bids I take it no AQ bids? Cause that would consume like half the bids with teams the NIT won't wanna pick. 

Guessing the MW gets one bid regardless if we send 2 to NCAAT or 3. If we somehow send 4 to NCAAT (honestly would take some teams getting COVID for MW to get 4) I doubt any go to NIT. 

40 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I suspect there are lots of teams that will decline an invite this year

I really don't think it is to wise to do that. I mean with only 16 teams and no AQ bids (under assumption they will get rid of those) you are looking at teams in top 40-60. That is solid competition, some extra practice, and a chance for a spring board into next year. 

13 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

I really don't think it is to wise to do that. I mean with only 16 teams and no AQ bids (under assumption they will get rid of those) you are looking at teams in top 40-60. That is solid competition, some extra practice, and a chance for a spring board into next year. 

if you leave it to a player vote, which I suspect many schools will, you'll have the same thing that happened with bowl games, many teams will opt to conclude the season, especially schools that thought they'd be in the NCAA tournament.  I don't blame them. COVID has soured so much.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

if you leave it to a player vote, which I suspect many schools will, you'll have the same thing that happened with bowl games, many teams will opt to conclude the season, especially schools that thought they'd be in the NCAA tournament.  I don't blame them. COVID has soured so much.

I mean the Dukes and North Carolinas of the world I understand. But take someone like Minnesota (13-12 currently but they have by far the most impressive wins of any bubble team). If they just miss out on NCAAT I think it would be ridiculous (both from a program building perspective and a player perspective) for them to opt out of 2-3 weeks more practice and 1-4 more games. As a percent there are far fewer teams in basketball postseason than football. Opting out of the NIT would be like a top 25 team opting out of a bowl game vs another top 25 teams.