Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Vinyl Record Sales Higher Than CD’s for the First Time Since 1986

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

I was at a house the other day and the guy who lives there bought and sold stuff on eBay for a living. 20% of his house was cassettes. We both agreed that cassettes are a terrible medium, sound bad, inconvenient, etc...but he says there's tons of people that want them, so dollar dollar bill y'all.

I also had hundreds of cassettes but the majority were from the eighties and didn't seem to hold up very well.  Saved all the mixed tapes and a few rare ones but threw most of them away.  

Always sucked have a stretched or broken tape when listening to some old nostalgia.

2 hours ago, gold-n-brown said:

I also had hundreds of cassettes but the majority were from the eighties and didn't seem to hold up very well.  Saved all the mixed tapes and a few rare ones but threw most of them away.  

Always sucked have a stretched or broken tape when listening to some old nostalgia.

Yeah the cassettes the record labels used were cheapo. You always had that piece of felt below the tape where the head engaged come unglued and fall off. The 8-track tapes were really warm sounding but not high quality either.  

kat.jpg

Without these, music will never sound the same. Especially hard rock. This is the best tape recorder ever made, and they were made up to about 2006.  It’s the gold edition of the Studer A827 2” wide tape, 24 track analog tape recorder and its remote control on the right.  This one is hardly used and going for about $30,000.

These were the work horses of the best studios in the world up until the early 2000’s when digital recording was good enough to ditch the crazy cost of analog tape recorders. Analog in general is really expensive from the tape recorder, through analog mixing consoles into analog outboard gear like compressors, eq’s to 2 track final mix tape.

Back in the 80’s, it would typically take about $500,000 of standard higher end studio time to make an album. And you had to go gold (sell 500,000 albums) to break even for the label, and most bands never did. The big bands subsided the losses on the hopefully up and coming bands. 

Now you can lock onto a tape deck with a digital recorder like Pro Tools on a computer and use both. You could do guitars on tape for sure. A 24 track has 24 individual heads stacked together for a total of 2” wide. A company now makes an amazing 8 track stack for 2” tape. Those are 8 very wide tape heads, and if you use it at the max 30 inches per second record speed, IT HAS LESS NOISE AND QUIETER THAN HIGH END QUALITY DIGITAL!!!  It’s really hard to believe, but it’s true. When you’re recording at 30 inches per second, it looks like the tape machine is doing a fast forward or fast rewind, but it’s the normal recording speed. That’s a shit load of info. recorded per second.

IMG_9112.jpg

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, gold-n-brown said:

Never got into buying cassette tapes from stores.........always bought the album, recorded the albums on each side of a 90 min cassette & used that in the car tape player - Glad I didn't invest $$ in cassette tapes because they didn't last long - like 10 years then CD's killed off cassette tapes 

7 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Never got into buying cassette tapes from stores.........always bought the album, recorded the albums on each side of a 90 min cassette & used that in the car tape player - Glad I didn't invest $$ in cassette tapes because they didn't last long - like 10 years then CD's killed off cassette tapes 

Couple album to tapes I had would have a scratch on them that was burned into my psych. Decades later I would hear a song on the radio and wait for the skip.

High school buddy got a parents hand me down car with the 8-track player. Would only play the fourth track.  You old people know what I am talking about.

There is a cottage industry created by rare vinyl records.  If you look at the space between the label and where the song(s) ends on the record you will see coded numbers etched on the disk.  Only collectors know how to decipher those codes.  It has something to do with run numbers of that specific record/album.  Their value is similar to rare old coins and currencies.

So if you have a closet full of old vinyl records, who knows what you have?       

10 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

What are the tax effects? Depreciation schedule? Does she have to allocate between professional and personal use?

I wrote it off as a rental expense. Advertising.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

5 hours ago, aztech said:

There is a cottage industry created by rare vinyl records.  If you look at the space between the label and where the song(s) ends on the record you will see coded numbers etched on the disk.  Only collectors know how to decipher those codes.  It has something to do with run numbers of that specific record/album.  Their value is similar to rare old coins and currencies.

So if you have a closet full of old vinyl records, who knows what you have?       

I have some old records that were Mobile Sound Lab and Original Master Copy versions which sounded better than the regular record. They were expensive even back then. 

kat.jpg

13 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I have some old records that were Mobile Sound Lab and Original Master Copy versions which sounded better than the regular record. They were expensive even back then. 

That's what I've heard the collectors look for, the original masters.  They could fetch a lot of dough.  You should research it.  

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

@smltwnrckr, @gold-n-brown, @DoubleBlueGold — It’s really too bad @youngredbullfan and @halfmanhalfbronco didn’t grow up in our era, when music was so bad ass.

174EE02B-A886-4D23-869A-40F01ACD58E4.jpeg.a5bec109dbc5a3e1990307ac9401c8b2.jpeg

Remember the MC Hammer gangster rap album? That actually did happen! No photo shop necessary. 

Mc_hammer_funky_headhunter.jpg

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:46 AM, gold-n-brown said:

Couple album to tapes I had would have a scratch on them that was burned into my psych. Decades later I would hear a song on the radio and wait for the skip.

High school buddy got a parents hand me down car with the 8-track player. Would only play the fourth track.  You old people know what I am talking about.

I was just telling someone that the other day. The beginning of "Good Times Roll" from the Cars, on the tape I made had a skip at the beginning that was pretty seamless that threw an extra note in there. A few years later I started playing guitar and when I learned that song, I inserted the extra note until my brother asked WTF I was doing. I still do it to this day. 

On 2/28/2021 at 7:46 AM, gold-n-brown said:

1 minute ago, Slapdad said:

I was just telling someone that the other day. The beginning of "Good Times Roll" from the Cars, the tape I made had a skip at the beginning that was pretty seamless that threw an extra note in there. A few years later I started playing guitar and when I learned that song, I inserted the extra note until my brother aske WTF I was doing. I still do it to this day. 

There's a Christmas mix tape my dad made many, many years ago from a bunch of his random Christmas albums. It was the one that was always on, all the time, in my house growing up around Christmas. I made a digital copy a while back so that we'd have it forever, and my dad and I initially ran the turntable into the audio editing software to record it. Sounded kinda weird and wrong, and I didn't like the result. Fiddled with the mix a couple times. Then we ran the tape deck through the software It was lower quality because it sounded like an old tape, and that's what we wanted. It sounded like the real thing.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

@smltwnrckr, @gold-n-brown, @DoubleBlueGold — It’s really too bad @youngredbullfan and @halfmanhalfbronco didn’t grow up in our era, when music was so bad ass.

174EE02B-A886-4D23-869A-40F01ACD58E4.jpeg.a5bec109dbc5a3e1990307ac9401c8b2.jpeg

That's cause we're mofing g's!

Now I can't stop hearing this song in Lionel's voice. :lol:

On 2/27/2021 at 10:13 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Are you guys old enough to remember listening to a radio station, then pushing the play and record button as fast as you could when that one song finally came on, then getting pissed at the dumbass DJ for talking over either the beginning or end?

Boomer -_-