Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Vinyl Record Sales Higher Than CD’s for the First Time Since 1986

It’s not wild or surprising at all. Digital format has taken over and there’s no reason to buy or own a CD anymore unless you have an old car that doesn’t have Bluetooth. Vinyl has a nostalgic collectors appeal and some people still love the sound. CDs don’t offer the same emotional connection unless you’re like Toby Flenderson.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Cassette tapes were a big deal for the youngs a few years ago. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Vinyl printing never went away. I have noticed niche record shops open in the past decade focused on vinyl. So this isn't surprising. 

49 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Yup the "mixtape" became a thing again. The fact that the name carried on as the title of hip hop cds and digital albums in the 21st century, helped keep the mixtape image alive. It helped with its renaissance.

17 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Vinyl printing never went away. I have noticed niche record shops open in the past decade focused on vinyl. So this isn't surprising. 

Crazy thing is the price.  You are looking at twenty-five to thirty bucks for a new album.  I wanted to buy Nothing Shocking by Jane's Addiction and I guess they haven't reissued it. Couldn't find it for less then a hundred dollars.  I will have to look again.

Jason Isbell, live Drive by Truckers and Red Fang are the last new vinyl I have bought. Usually peruse the flea market for good used albums.

1 minute ago, gold-n-brown said:

Crazy thing is the price.  You are looking at twenty-five to thirty bucks for a new album.  I wanted to buy Nothing Shocking by Jane's Addiction and I guess they haven't reissued it. Couldn't find it for less then a hundred dollars.  I will have to look again.

Jason Isbell, live Drive by Truckers and Red Fang are the last new vinyl I have bought. Usually peruse the flea market for good used albums.

Yup, in the 90s, I think I would pay less than $15 for a new record. In the 00s, it went up to the 20-25 dollar range. Haven't bought vinyl or CDs for some years now. I used to spend almost every weekend at Amoeba buying albums. Flea markets, yard sales and estate sales can lead to great finds.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

44 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Yup the "mixtape" became a thing again. The fact that the name carried on as the title of hip hop cds and digital albums in the 21st century, helped keep the mixtape image alive. It helped with its renaissance.

Are you guys old enough to remember listening to a radio station, then pushing the play and record button as fast as you could when that one song finally came on, then getting pissed at the dumbass DJ for talking over either the beginning or end? 

Sorry @halfmanhalfbronco, I’m sure none of this is familiar to you.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Are you guys old enough to remember listening to a radio station, then pushing the play and record button as fast as you could when that one song finally came on, then getting pissed at the dumbass DJ for talking over either the beginning or end? 

Was Hurrian Hymn No. 6 the sensation with the kids they say it was?

30 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Casey kasum (?) Ruined a bunch of my mixtapes.  Good thing back then though, they played the song you wanted to hear once every hour.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yes. In middle school, I would stay up late to listen to the Power Tools Show on Power 106. I was recording it while listening to it. Would listen to the house and hiphop mixes all of the next week until the next show.

And yes, when I would try to record a single song, I would get angry at the dumbass DJ. 

8 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It’s not wild or surprising at all. Digital format has taken over and there’s no reason to buy or own a CD anymore unless you have an old car that doesn’t have Bluetooth. Vinyl has a nostalgic collectors appeal and some people still love the sound. CDs don’t offer the same emotional connection unless you’re like Toby Flenderson.

The hipsters are starting to buy tapes now. Kid you not.

I buy CDs because they're like a dollar a piece. But have bought about 10x the amount of vinyl over CDs in recent years.

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Oh, hell yes. I had multiple mix tapes with radio DJ lead-ins on the songs and also with the opening of the song missing because I wasn't ready to go when the song came on. My white whale for a while was Face to Face's "Disconnected," which was a single that they played occasionally on Modesto radio when I was in like 6th grade that I loved and at the time I didn't know the name of the band or the song. 

Kids don't know how good they have it.

I also watched a lot of movies that my dad recorded from TV on Betamax, so they had all the old commercials. He still has them and has the Betamax, but it doesn't work. I have half a mind to spend the fortune to get it fixed so I can watch and record those old movies (including the original versions of the first 3 Star Wars movies) with the 80s commercials in them. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Was Hurrian Hymn No. 6 the sensation with the kids they say it was?

You don't know what kind of hell us olds went through to find good music!

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

The hipsters are starting to buy tapes now. Kid you not.

I buy CDs because they're like a dollar a piece. But have bought about 10x the amount of vinyl over CDs in recent years.

I actually bet if you look hard, you can get good deals on used CDs cheaper than it would be do download the album. If I had the time to do this, I probably would. 

Our local music shop is run by a couple of really cool kids (I mean they're in their early 20s, but they're kids to me) and when I bought my house, I got rid of all my CDs (A LOT of them, and some really good stuff). I had already digitized all of it, and they were taking up space even though I never physically pulled them out to listen to them anymore. So I took them down and basically told the kids to take what they want asked for like a buck a CD store credit. They added a LOT of good used inventory, and I honestly never used much of the credit. If you ever go to the used music store in downtown Merced, and you flip through the inventory, you'll probably still see a good deal of stuff there that was mine or my wife's.

The reason I brought it up though is that at the time (this was like 5 years ago) they were asking if I had any cassettes. They were super happy to basically get a bunch of free used CD inventory as they were starting up, but they were telling me that they can't keep cassettes of any decent albums on the shelf because kids buy them almost immediately. Then we talked to my niece about it, and she was like - oh, yeah all my friends like tapes. It was maybe the oldest I had ever felt up to that point. 

15 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Not that there’s a lot of CD sales anymore, but it’s still a wild sounding stat for 2021. 

https://pitchfork.com/news/vinyl-record-sales-increased-almost-30-in-2020-riaa-says/

My step son lives in my basement and orders a butt load of Kanye West shoes and vinyl records. He works part time as a life guard and votes Democrat. I’d kick his ass out but his mom is smoking hot.

She spends 4 hours at the gym everyday and gets pedicures and manicures each week and I spent a huge sum on fake big boobs. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

TBF those Hurrian hyms are pretty dang good.  

Not familiar. When I was a kid, singing that shit got you burned at the stake. 

12 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yep - Think the vinyl comeback started with DJ's mixing on turntables - gave a 30 something many of my old 70's & 80's many of my old vinyl albums 

Basically a CD is just digital on a plastic disc & now with downloads we don't need the disc hold the digital anymore