Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

UNM: Breaking News, Weir and The Lobos to Part Ways!!!

1 hour ago, Lobonado said:

New names I'm hearing:

Richard Pitino

Joe Golding

Avery Johnson

Avery Johnson sure would be an interesting hire.  I bet he'd get you guys some great recruits. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

22 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Avery Johnson is a good dude who knows his basketball. He’s available if he wants it. 

Currently Avery is an announcer for CBS Sports.  He would definitely bring stability to program and ultimately be successful in NM if given time.  He would have to decide if he wants take on a reclamation project or wait for a better opportunity.   Whoever gets the NM job needs at least a full 4 years to right the ship. I just not sure admin and Lobo fans are patient enough.  

5 hours ago, sebasour said:

Orlando Antigua is the latest out of the rumor mill. That would be unfortunate 

I had to google that name.  The guy was 23-55 as a HC.  What's the attraction?

Hopefully, the rumor is out there because he expressed interest and he's not considered a serious candidate.    

Barack Obama

On 3/2/2021 at 9:35 PM, Aztec Since 88 said:

Currently Avery is an announcer for CBS Sports.  He would definitely bring stability to program and ultimately be successful in NM if given time.  He would have to decide if he wants take on a reclamation project or wait for a better opportunity.   Whoever gets the NM job needs at least a full 4 years to right the ship. I just not sure admin and Lobo fans are patient enough.  

Though I agree that UNM is a "reclamation project" I don't agree that it would take 4 years. If say an Avery Johnson were to get the job, I'm sure he would be able to land some high quality players that could ball right away. If he get 2 or 3 quality players in his first couple of years, he could compete right away. But I doubt we'll get him.

Lots of Lobos fans seem to want Frank Martin... but they seem to be fixated on the Frank Martin  of KSU, not the current losing, ill looking USC Frank Martin. Seems they're ok with his 2-15 gamecocks team, but thinking he would would be able to recruit and be the coach  he was at Kansas State. I have my doubts that he would be much more than a .500 coach with UNM.

UNM should push hard to get Avery Johnson. decent record at Alabama and never had a losing record there.

Joe Golding is an up and coming coach with Abilene Christian, but only has a winning record in 3 of his 8 years of coaching, but his career is trending up, however can he build a team from scratch?

Greg Marshall I believe would be a good get for UNM, but there's no way they can afford him.

Michael Cooper is a personal favorite of mine, he loves UNM and New Mexico, but because he doesn't have a degree, thats a non starter for them, and alot of fans think he's too old (65), and wouldn't be able to recruit today's players because they don't even know who he is, regardless of his 9 championship rings with the NBA/WNBA. I think he would be able to, especially if he gets the right assistant coaches.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 2/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, LoboMan59 said:

but we still owe lil sis to the south 275K for grabbing Weir from them,

The way I heard it explained, Weir is on the hook for his buyout at New Méx State.

Jim McElwain's buyout w/CSU when he bolted for Florida was structured the same way.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:23 AM, LoboMan59 said:

Though I agree that UNM is a "reclamation project" I don't agree that it would take 4 years. If say an Avery Johnson were to get the job, I'm sure he would be able to land some high quality players that could ball right away. If he get 2 or 3 quality players in his first couple of years, he could compete right away. But I doubt we'll get him.

Lots of Lobos fans seem to want Frank Martin... but they seem to be fixated on the Frank Martin  of KSU, not the current losing, ill looking USC Frank Martin. Seems they're ok with his 2-15 gamecocks team, but thinking he would would be able to recruit and be the coach  he was at Kansas State. I have my doubts that he would be much more than a .500 coach with UNM.

UNM should push hard to get Avery Johnson. decent record at Alabama and never had a losing record there.

Joe Golding is an up and coming coach with Abilene Christian, but only has a winning record in 3 of his 8 years of coaching, but his career is trending up, however can he build a team from scratch?

Greg Marshall I believe would be a good get for UNM, but there's no way they can afford him.

Michael Cooper is a personal favorite of mine, he loves UNM and New Mexico, but because he doesn't have a degree, thats a non starter for them, and alot of fans think he's too old (65), and wouldn't be able to recruit today's players because they don't even know who he is, regardless of his 9 championship rings with the NBA/WNBA. I think he would be able to, especially if he gets the right assistant coaches.

Maybe Marshall would take it. He is collecting 8 million from Wichita so maybe it might offset 

Related image

On 3/6/2021 at 10:36 AM, trvitmvnz said:

Maybe Marshall would take it. He is collecting 8 million from Wichita so maybe it might offset 

That's how we got Alford. The buyout with UCLA was restructured. It ended up with UCLA paying less of the buyout, NV getting a good deal on a coach and Alford still getting paid well. 

Barack Obama

5 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Just heard Tim Miles to UNM. Not verified yet, but that would be a great get, I always liked Miles and thought he did a great job at CSU.

That would be a great hire.  If it happens, I think UNM will have a good coach for a long time. 

Barack Obama