Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

UNM: Breaking News, Weir and The Lobos to Part Ways!!!

11 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Martin definitely wanted the UNLV job, something about being on the west coast, and now that he's been fired from South Carolina, maybe he would work for less at UNM.

But I disagree with you about him being a career mediocre coach. It just didn't work at Nebraska.

Tim Miles has a career coaching record of 187-202, .481 winning percentage. That’s the definition of mediocre.

25 minutes ago, nmlongbow said:

Tim Miles has a career coaching record of 187-202, .481 winning percentage. That’s the definition of mediocre.

Nebraska has always been a basketball wasteland. As to CSU, that program was a dumpster fire when Miles took it over so he went just 16-47 there his first two years. After that he went 16-16, 19-13 and 20-12.

But feel free to hire NMSU's coach away again whoever that is.

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Nebraska has always been a basketball wasteland. As to CSU, that program was a dumpster fire when Miles took it over so he went just 16-47 there his first two years. After that he went 16-16, 19-13 and 20-12.

But feel free to hire NMSU's coach away again whoever that is.

As bad as you think the CSU program was when Tim took over, it was worse than you can imagine. Things were going on that I can’t repeat.  

But he’s definitely not a quick fix guy and New Mexico fans will be unrealistic in their expectations. They are 57-70 in the MWC since 2015.  CSU has been bang average in the same period and is 72-55. 

10 minutes ago, TopLobo said:

This board has to be trolling us with Tim Miles. He is like option 10 for ‘SOME’ of us if nothing else works.

FIFY.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

12 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The thing about Marshall or Jans, is a lot of P5's wouldn't touch them even if they exceed expectations at UNM.

To a lesser extent, Miles too.

No way UNM can afford Marshall, he won't come cheap. AD Nunez said he has secured "private donor funding" to buy out Weir's remaining contract, but we still owe lil sis to the south 275K for grabbing Weir from them, and we may still be paying for Neal as well, as I'm still unclear about that situation since Alford picked him up.

UNM will end up with what's being referred to as a "reset coach". Miles (not a bad choice IMO), Marshall (can't afford him), Frank Martin (slightly better over all record than Weir, but did take his team to a F4), are just some of the names being floated in Loboland.  UNM has to get this right is all we know. If fans in the stands is what he wants, he'll have to come up with a good coach... we'll see how much real interest there is in UNM, and how far his SEC connections get him.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Tim MIles, but you guys know how Lobos fans are. Thinking it's Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, and UNM. The bluebloods. No where near, but can't convince them of that. Miles would add a much needed structure and discipline, coupled with some badly needed fundamentals of basketball. Only concern for me are his recruiting ties? Maybe some of you Rams fans can speak to that? UNM has no identity as a team right now... offense or defense. We need someone who can bring that.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."