Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

UNM: Breaking News, Weir and The Lobos to Part Ways!!!

12 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

c'mon, @toonkee, haven't the lobo fans been through enough? He can go to Santa Barbara when Pasternak goes to South Carolina.

Right @jdgaucho ?

When Rice got canned there was as lobo fan here that kept saying we were going to get Menzied. It seemed ridiculous at first but gosh dang it happened and I'll never forgive Lobo nation for that juju.

17 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

c'mon, @toonkee, haven't the lobo fans been through enough? He can go to Santa Barbara when Pasternak goes to South Carolina.

Right @jdgaucho ?

Nah, we going back to the good ol' days with Jamie Dixon.  Don't need a UNLV retread.

As I said to ph, Pasternack is only leaving Santa Barbara for a power conference job - which South Carolina is - although he might wait it out another year and try to cash in after the 2022 NCAAs, ala Muss

5 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Martin definitely wanted the UNLV job, something about being on the west coast, and now that he's been fired from South Carolina, maybe he would work for less at UNM.

But I disagree with you about him being a career mediocre coach. It just didn't work at Nebraska.

I like Martin at unm. Seems about right.

6 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Martin definitely wanted the UNLV job, something about being on the west coast, and now that he's been fired from South Carolina, maybe he would work for less at UNM.

But I disagree with you about him being a career mediocre coach. It just didn't work at Nebraska.

In terms of winning over a fan base, Tim built Nebraska into a Top 10 program nationally in terms of attendance. Lots of People dont understand that he built three programs into NCAA Tournament level programs - North Dakota State, CSU, and Nebraska and improved the attendance at every one of them.

A lot of UNM fans are dumb as a box of rocks - they would rip on a hire like Niko Medved because of his past record without recognizing what it takes to build a sustainable winning program from the bottom like he did at Furman. They’ll do the same with Tim even though UNM really needs to hire someone like him who can resurrect a program that Weir ran into the ground. The same Weir who they thought was a great hire because he had a great one-year record at NMSU, beating UNM and taking them to the NCAA Tournament.

I’m not saying whether Tim is a great fit in Albuquerque. I dont know enough about the Athletic Director.  

Just now, red wolf rob said:

I like the idea of either frank martin , or Greg Marshall. 

Don't care for miles, I just remember beating him a lot. I guess he made. A ncaa tournament,  but so did noodles (Neal) .

When UNM was at the top of their game, and CSU wasn't. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Miles at UNLV at some point.

Alot of folks over on the LL, think that UNM AD Eddie Nunez, already has a coach in mind, Martin from South Carolina, And or Greg Marshal, a "bird in the hand" type person. I for one, hope not! I hope he has an open mind and conducts a full blown coaching search. There could be several up and coming coaches and other previous head coaches out there, that would be a good get for the Lobos. UNM's last two coaching hires (Neal and Weir), were "bird in hand" hires as well, and look what happened!

If word gets out that Nunez already has someone in mind, that might deter some very good coaches out there from even bothering to apply! UNM NEEDS TO GET THIS RIGHT THIS TIME!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

14 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Alot of folks over on the LL, think that UNM AD Eddie Nunez, already has a coach in mind, Martin from South Carolina, And or Greg Marshal, a "bird in the hand" type person. I for one, hope not! I hope he has an open mind and conducts a full blown coaching search. There could be several up and coming coaches and other previous head coaches out there, that would be a good get for the Lobos. UNM's last two coaching hires (Neal and Weir), were "bird in hand" hires as well, and look what happened!

If word gets out that Nunez already has someone in mind, that might deter some very good coaches out there from even bothering to apply! UNM NEEDS TO GET THIS RIGHT THIS TIME!

I would love Gregg Marshall, but I don't see any rumors connecting him to us.