Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

This is kind of the end game of Trumpism, isn't it? Christian Nationalism?

19 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Good reads.

San Diego Bishop Robert McElroy, another Francis ally, warned against the “weaponization of Eucharist.” At Holy Trinity, the parish council—which happens to be led by two U.S. government employees—put together letters to Gomez, Gregory, and the Vatican’s top official in Washington, condemning what it described as the Gomez statement’s myopic focus on abortion and its potential to further divide Catholics of goodwill. Council members called on the bishops to promote a more holistic message about what it means to be a faithful Catholic, which includes protecting the environment, caring for the poor, and advocating against the death penalty

I really wish our entire nation could have a less "myopic focus on abortion".

I think it's quite possible that some of today's ills are rooted in a reduction of organized religion, but not in a moral sense.

Organized religion and the "truths" it gave us  played a structural and cultural role in our society....forever. It was human.  Well, that whole ecosystem is out of whack right now, and other things, much less beaten into shape over the millennia, are filling that gap.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Is it? Why? Were you raised in the Catholic Church or did you join on your own?

Maybe 90% is an exaggeration but I have no doubt that most folks choice of religion had been passed down from their family.

I was baptized Catholic. Did the requisite catechism, etc. more or less left the church in my teenage years into well into my 20s as I struggled with questions of my own faith. eventually returned to the church. It’s rarely a straight line from birth to death with anyone’s faith, even if they remain within the confines of the same church. So yeah, it is a two-dimensional caricature of religious people that 90% are only in their faiths because they were force fed them as children. But people love them some stereotypes.

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I’m giving it up for sanity.

I gave up alcohol, but I don't know if that makes me a worse or better Catholic

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

25 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I was baptized Catholic. Did the requisite catechism, etc. more or less left the church in my teenage years into well into my 20s as I struggled with questions of my own faith. eventually returned to the church. It’s rarely a straight line from birth to death with anyone’s faith, even if they remain within the confines of the same church. So yeah, it is a two-dimensional caricature of religious people that 90% are only in their faiths because they were force fed them as children. But people love them some stereotypes.

But you still chose Catholicism, which was skier's point.

Doesn't mean you or most of the faithful are brainwashed or anything like that, but to be honest, I don't think your story or your path is all that uncommon. People that choose atheism or agnosticism often have a common path as well, and come to think of it, it's not that dissimilar from your journey. 

48 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Judas did nothing wrong.

did I do this right @halfmanhalfbronco?

Judas was the first snitch

Patron Saint of snitches

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

38 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

A familiar timeline...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Judas was the first snitch

Patron Saint of snitches

Takashi 6-9 of biblical figures?

15 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

I gave up alcohol, but I don't know if that makes me a worse or better Catholic

Being an altar boy practically encourages one to give drinking a test run at an early age...

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

24 minutes ago, RSF said:

Being an altar boy practically encourages one to give drinking a test run at an early age...

No shit. Once Catechism is completed, usually by age 12, you can get sips of wine ("the blood of Christ") to wash down the eucharist. 

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

That makes two of us.

Though for a while, I was the aberration in my family; being a conservative Roman Catholic, and when old enough, registered as a Republican, when most of my family were moderate or out right liberal Roman Catholics. Needless to say, that's changed. Still Catholic, but now quite liberal.

49 minutes ago, toonkee said:

But you still chose Catholicism, which was skier's point.

Doesn't mean you or most of the faithful are brainwashed or anything like that, but to be honest, I don't think your story or your path is all that uncommon. People that choose atheism or agnosticism often have a common path as well, and come to think of it, it's not that dissimilar from your journey. 

I was baptized and confirmed in the Episcopal church but even as I was serving on the altar I began to question "religion".

7 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

No shit. Once Catechism is completed, usually by age 12, you can get sips of wine ("the blood of Christ") to wash down the eucharist. 

No...Im talking before Mass...priest isnt around...sacramental wine just sitting there...

3 minutes ago, son of a gun said:

That makes two of us.

Though for a while, I was the aberration in my family; being a conservative Roman Catholic, and when old enough, registered as a Republican, when most of my family were moderate or out right liberal Roman Catholics. Needless to say, that's changed. Still Catholic, but now quite liberal.

People who attempt to stereotype Roman Catholics politically are flat out wasting their time.

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

In the Episcopal Church we had girl acolytes too :thumbsup:

Not in my day, but that changed about 25 years ago for us dirty Papists.