Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

This is kind of the end game of Trumpism, isn't it? Christian Nationalism?

10 minutes ago, happycamper said:

in... utah? that's not really dominionist territory

Not sure what you mean by dominionist, but a decade ago, the Legislature passed a law that required restaurants that serve alcohol to build a wall between the bar and the rest of restaurant. Its purpose was to shield minors from alcoholic beverages being made and people having a good time watching the ball game.

They finally reversed the law after finally recognizing the economic hardships it was causing small businesses to build said walls 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Evangelicals are a sizeable portion of Trump's base, but my read on Trumpism is different. Trump isn't particularly religious, he just adapted social conservative rhetoric to court evangelical voters in 2016. It's why Pence was selected as the VP, iirc.

Trump was already pretty popular in the south before that though. Some cultural conservatives value aesthetics over actual policy

6 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Edit: The only books where you see the word "Religion" mentioned/defended is in Satan's creation contracts: the federal and state constitutions. 

No mention of religion anywhere in The Bible. 

after the most straitest sect of our religion, Acts 26:5.

conversation in time past in the Jews’ religion, Gal. 1:13.

Pure religion and undefiled before God, James 1:27.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

8 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Deny

The ancient languages had no word for "Religion"

Anywhere you see the word "religion" in the KJV is a purposeful mistranslation of faith or belief. The KJV is tricky like that, lots of word games to fit the needs of religious snake oil salesmen.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

On 2/26/2021 at 8:58 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Some sources are better than others.  I mean, let's say a type 4 civilization (one capable of creating universes) existed and created ours, no it would not be on some nerdy aliens game.  That just....not how math works.  But if that wast the case that civilization could assuredly save our space and the intelligent of ours so that life could be reviewed as being right or wrong and sent to a hell or a heaven afterwards and create messiahs to lead us onto the right path per the desired destination of the game.

I mean science says people who flatley dismiss a higher power could be wrong, very wrong.

@renoskier read thread.

@halfmanhalfbroncobe all like ...

B96B64C9-7A21-4E65-A408-F67555C54578.jpeg.dafe9bf2fe96b09237d8c069c322cb6a.jpeg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 3/1/2021 at 4:52 PM, Maji said:

Evangelicals are a sizeable portion of Trump's base, but my read on Trumpism is different. Trump isn't particularly religious, he just adapted social conservative rhetoric to court evangelical voters in 2016. It's why Pence was selected as the VP, iirc.

Trump was already pretty popular in the south before that though. Some cultural conservatives value aesthetics over actual policy

You forgot to mention his racist rhetoric.  It brought out the instinct that's underlying or vocal in every state, and even some countries.  Remember, he was a TV talking head who knew how to rile the audience. 

Fortunately time is on our side, he and it will diminish.  

On 2/28/2021 at 8:58 AM, sactowndog said:

I don’t agree.  Being “Christian” was one of the highest correlating factors in supporting Trump.   Part of that victim culture was a perceived inability to proclaim and live their faith.   Even if their “faith” led them to bigotry and condemnation.   

Strange bedfellows for sure. I guess some religion to Christians is better than barely any at all. 

24 minutes ago, son of a gun said:

A number of branches don't consider Catholics as Christians, so, I guess it would be those ones?

The denominations who think Trump was sent by God, maybe? Kind of a hard sell, considering, you know, the history of Christianity.

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Strange bedfellows for sure. I guess some religion to Christians is better than barely any at all. 

I think many Christians will sell their soul to stop abortions.  Trump used that against them.   Others were just addicted to power.   Christians are still human with all the same failings.  Their only difference is the belief in Christ’s forgiveness.  In my opinion, they may have a lot for God to forgive.  

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

I think many Christians will sell their soul to stop abortions.  Trump used that against them.   Others were just addicted to power.   Christians are still human with all the same failings.  Their only difference is the belief in Christ’s forgiveness.  In my opinion, they may have a lot for God to forgive.  

The Democrat party is no friend to a lot of Christians, ie those that are anti abortion, or anti gay marriage, etc. I’m not defending the reasons, just stating why some Christians would vote for Trump over Biden. There are also religious based reasons a lot of Christians wouldn’t vote for Trump. If you’re a devout Christian your kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The Democrat party is no friend to a lot of Christians, ie those that are anti abortion, or anti gay marriage, etc. I’m not defending the reasons, just stating why some Christians would vote for Trump over Biden. There are also religious based reasons a lot of Christians wouldn’t vote for Trump. If you’re a devout Christian your kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

Nm

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Um, there are way more anti abortion democrats than pro choice Republicans.So who is more hostile to people outside the party orthodoxy? 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

15 hours ago, aztech said:

You forgot to mention his racist rhetoric.  It brought out the instinct that's underlying or vocal in every state, and even some countries.  Remember, he was a TV talking head who knew how to rile the audience. 

Fortunately time is on our side, he and it will diminish.  

No it won't. Racism is always going to ebb and flow. We need to take advantage of the ebbs to build on stuff like the civil rights act and have a more structurally equal system to help reduce its impact, but the idea that racism is just something that will naturally fade away like it's biodegradeable or something is a myth.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

17 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I was gonna post the exact same link and say "Looks like we're both wrong."

I know a few anti-abortion Democrats. Don't know any pro-life republicans. Both parties have some diversity on this, as well as gay marriage. Though I think that the GOP is moving away form this in recent years. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.