Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

This is kind of the end game of Trumpism, isn't it? Christian Nationalism?

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

What can I say. I’m an enigma.

They dont allow those in protestant churches.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, grandjean87 said:

God is atemporal, man, so yes.  

Then how is it the first communion?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

If that's the time line.........did Judas ever get a ticket to heaven or was he in that Pre-Jesus Died for our sins era going way back into the BC  time line where no one got the word of Jesus ?!?!

He betrayed Jesus and committed suicide... definitely didn't get in

The "born-again" obsession is relatively recent in the history of Christianity.. the whole you need an emotional experience to truly know God thing becoming mainstream is a product of the Great Awakening roughly 300 years ago. Christianity has been around for thousands 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Sense of humors?

Have you seen the pictures?

https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_171027131834-reformation-world.jpg

Dude was not a big laugher.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Then how is it the first communion?

Now, I an expert theologian in addition to my foreign policy expertise? 

Ok, so as I understand Catholic theology of communion, it is the receiving of the presence of Christ resurrected. Resurrection is a new life. It is Christ perfected, and Christ is not limited to time.  So, the sequence of Holy Week and the Passion of Christ do not limit the Last Supper to just a symbolic presence or just a template for future liturgy. 

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Sense of humors?

Mainline Protestants are dour, fun-less lemmings that eat flavorless crackers for every meal and take communion with water

Prove me wrong @smltwnrckr

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

2 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Mainline Protestants are dour, fun-less lemmings that eat flavorless crackers for every meal and take communion with water

That's not entirely correct. Lemmings enjoy sex. 

3 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Prove me wrong

God meant for man to use humor to hide his insecurities and guilt. I’m certain of it.

7 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

That's not entirely correct. Lemmings enjoy sex. 

Mainline Protestants: Hate Sex

Evangelicals: Love Sex, hate when others have it

Catholics: Love Sex while they're doing it, hate themselves to their very core after 

9 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Now, I an expert theologian in addition to my foreign policy expertise? 

Ok, so as I understand Catholic theology of communion, it is the receiving of the presence of Christ resurrected. Resurrection is a new life. It is Christ perfected, and Christ is not limited to time.  So, the sequence of Holy Week and the Passion of Christ do not limit the Last Supper to just a symbolic presence or just a template for future liturgy. 

I honestly would love to have a conversation with a Jesuit theologian about this. I grew up Presbyterian so we dont believe really in transubstantiation. Theres no stakes to this question, which is why I've never thought about it. But it doesn't make sense to me, especially as a historian or at least someone who plays one in the classroom.

3 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Catholics: Love Sex while they're doing it, hate themselves to their very core right after. Get to confess and feel fine again until the next time.

Fify. 

8 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I honestly would love to have a conversation with a Jesuit theologian about this. I grew up Presbyterian so we dont believe really in transubstantiation. Theres no stakes to this question, which is why I've never thought about it. But it doesn't make sense to me, especially as a historian or at least someone who plays one in the classroom.

The Last Supper is oft referenced as the first communion, but the theology is deeper than the temporal sequence of events.  

:waiting: No...........if God was so concerned about you toot's he wouldn't have created the virus & stuck you with it along with 150 days of suffering & the medical bills you probably can't pay - As a "loving caring ,"god" would not allow any of this to happen so you could survive while 500,000+ others died from his virus - But somehow you come up with this convoluted thinking that your imaginary friend decided you were the only one worthy of his mercy, help or free pass 

Emily Blunt Oh Snap GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

9 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

9 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

Catholics: Love Sex while they're doing it, hate themselves to their very core after 

Where are the crackers in the comparison! Are other Catholics getting Nacho Cheese Jesus and I’ve been deprived?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:56 PM, soupslam1 said:

Why does the secular left constantly attack religion? It’s not like anyone’s forced to believe what they’re selling. 

But, what they are selling, they are forcing down the throats of the non believers.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

20 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

But, what they are selling, they are forcing down the throats of the non believers.

You surviving that theocracy there in Southern California?

I abhor the politics of the religious right. It is the prime reason I have long found the national Republican Party so repugnant. But my guess is that in SoCal, nobody is forcing religion down your throat, any more than some turd in Alabama complaining about the war on Christmas is a victim of the secular left.

The culture of victim hood of the religious right and the secular left may be the one thing the two have in common.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

You surviving that theocracy there in Southern California?

I abhor the politics of the religious right. It is the prime reason I have long found the national Republican Party so repugnant. But my guess is that in SoCal, nobody is forcing religion down your throat, any more than than some turd in Alabama complaining about the war on Christmas is a victim of the secular left. The culture of victim hood of the religious right and the secular left may be the one thing the two have in common.

You're right. They are not shoving Religion down my throat in SoCal. I live in Utah where it is.

Political movements based on White Christian Nationalism have done so. And will continue to do so.

Americans Mayor

On 2/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, BSUTOP25 said:

Why don’t you add up the corpses from your team - Lenin, Stalin, Mao,  Pol Pot, Kim Jong Il, Give us the tally. 

Inquisition much ?

Americans Mayor

On 2/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, UNLV2001 said:

The skit was to my point - 

God can be want you want him / her / it to be !! 

A good day of Powder Skiing !

Americans Mayor