Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

This is kind of the end game of Trumpism, isn't it? Christian Nationalism?

17 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This is the most catholic sentence ever written. :rotflmfao:

My great-grandpa, despite being of Irish descent and a Roman Catholic, never drank anything stronger than a Pepsi. Even if something used alcohol for cooking, if he knew about it, he avoided it like the plague. Annoyed the hell out of my grandmother (his daughter) when he found out she baked her fruit cake with slo-gin and he stopped he eating it.

12 minutes ago, son of a gun said:

My great-grandpa, despite being of Irish descent and a Roman Catholic, never drank anything stronger than a Pepsi. Even if something used alcohol for cooking, if he knew about it, he avoided it like the plague. Annoyed the hell out of my grandmother (his daughter) when he found out she baked her fruit cake with slo-gin and he stopped he eating it.

That’s interesting. Did he have alcoholism in his family, or just a strictly clean-living guy?

2 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

Judas received communion. I think Biden is safe. 

Did he? I thought Judas killed himself before Jesus was resurrected, thus making it impossible for him to receive communion. Was the last supper considered communion? 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Did he? I thought Judas killed himself before Jesus was resurrected, thus making it impossible for him to receive communion. Was the last supper considered communion? 

It is considered the first communion.

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It is considered the first communion.

Bah. I don't think it counts. I need to have a conversation with Peter or Paul or whomever it was who started the church. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

That's why protestants rule. We don't let the Pope come around telling us what the first communion was!

22 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That’s interesting. Did he have alcoholism in his family, or just a strictly clean-living guy?

Strictly non-alcohol for him. Other people? No problem, but not for him. He had his Pepsi, homemade hot chocolate, and milk.

Though after he died, we did find a dick of playing cards that had naked women on it, and a wine bottle whose contents had long turned to some form of vinegar.

19 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This is how it begins!

jesus wink GIF

Showing a picture of Jesus that isn't depicting his own suffering so that you can feel guilt for your very existence... well, that isn't very Catholic of you.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I was baptized and confirmed in the Episcopal church but even as I was serving on the altar I began to question "religion".

Think I was baptized Presbyterian or something - don't remember because I was in a  diaper.

Think it was just a "thing" parents did back in the 50's & 60's - was an only child, but as a family we never set foot in any church.......dad was pretty much non-religious & we actually never even discussed it..........Mom was a "Jesus basics" type of religious, i.e. she knew the basic Sunday school, Cecil B DeMille Biblical Epic types of things but as far as I can recall we never went or belonged to any church

In all my 60 years I never had the urge, desire or any reason to question my lack of church going or religious leanings................and after years, one comes to see the biggest hypocrites are some of the most "christian" among us - I.e. look at how "evangelicals" flocked to trump , who's pretty much the very antithesis of anything Jesus said & did that evangelicals seem love  

To use a favorite MWC Board political term...........Religion, because teams & shit 

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Showing a picture of Jesus that isn't depicting his own suffering so that you can feel guilt for your very existence... well, that isn't very Catholic of you.

What can I say. I’m an enigma.

48 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

If that's the time line.........did Judas ever get a ticket to heaven or was he in that Pre-Jesus Died for our sins era going way back into the BC  time line where no one got the word of Jesus ?!?!