Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Friday Nite MWC Hoops: NEV@USU,FSU@UNLV - WHO YA’ GOT?

Crunch time and a couple of interesting and underrated games.

The Nevada-USU game is a critical one for both teams. Utah State is still very much alive in the race for the regular season crown. But more importantly, another loss would relegate them to fourth place in all likelihood, making their path to an MWC Tourney title much more difficult. With a pair of wins over Utah State and a win over CSU, Nevada could very well find themselves with a 3-seed. Not likely but certainly possible. 

Utah State is a different team without Rollie Worster. The Aggies are probably the most physical team in the MWC with him in the lineup. Without him, they give up some of that plus some depth. Nevada is young and hasn’t been a very good road team as a result. They also will feel a bit of the wrath of a crowd. With Nevada coming off a long pause, I think the play is Utah State -4 in the first half as the Pack shakes off a little rust.

The UNLV-Fresno affair is important for seeding purposes. Given that San Jose State may not be able to play in the MWC Tourney due to COVID, there is an outside chance that the 6-seed goes directly into the quarterfinals rather than a first-round game. So more at stake than just another game.  I don’t think Fresno makes as many three’s as they did on Wednesday.  I’m taking UNLV -3 in the first half.

I would not be surprised with an outright Nevada win tonight. USU is not close to the same without Worster. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

The UNLV-Fresno affair is important for seeding purposes. Given that San Jose State may not be able to play in the MWC Tourney due to COVID, there is an outside chance that the 6-seed goes directly into the quarterfinals rather than a first-round game. So more at stake than just another game.  I don’t think Fresno makes as many three’s as they did on Wednesday.  I’m taking UNLV -3 in the first half.

SJSU got their outbreak soon enough where they will be cleared by mwt. Now granted they probably wont have much practice time as a full team before mwt so maybe they just bow out cause of that. But covid is not gonna force them the drop out.

But the point still stands. MW has been averaging one covid situation a week so there is decent odds the 6 seed ends up with a bye. My guess is 0-2 teams opt out. Hope that list doesn't include any of the top 5 (ie teams that could realistically win mwt) or fresno (my team lol).

Given an actual postive case of covid will keep a team out at least 10 days the absolute last day a postive could occur with any hope of playing in mwt

Teams in opening round games 2/28, teams with opening round byes 3/1. 

1 hour ago, BodyBagGame said:

I should have bet more on the Michigan game last night. They are trouble. 

Never should have bet against SUDS.

I'll go with Reno and the Dogs tonight.

Currently, Michigan is a 1 seed and SDSU is in the 8/9 match up on most NCAA brackets. I see the NCAA setting up a possible Fab 5 match up between Dutcher and Howard if both advance.

1 minute ago, Aztec Since 88 said:

Currently, Michigan is a 1 seed and SDSU is in the 8/9 match up on most NCAA brackets. I see the NCAA setting up a possible Fab 5 match up between Dutcher and Howard if both advance.

I'd watch that game.

Nevada is a bad matchup for the Aggies. Guards are their strength which are the Aggies weakness especially without Worster. The Pack are also decent in the post defensively. However, it’s a must win game for the Aggies to keep their at large bid chances alive as minute as they may be. Still, I see the Pack covering.

UNLV had a lackadaisical effort on Wednesday against Fresno. Otz has probably been all over them. They rebound and cover tonight. I’ll take the first half over also. 61 points looks low. 

24 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

the 3 weeks layoff for the Wolf Pack is the big unknown.

They might be doing some  major bricklaying.

But I'd wager small $ on the ML for the Pack.

And FSU Dogs to cover.

I think the pack will come out fired up. It might take all of 20 seconds for them to readjust, lol.

Aggies will not be able to compete with the pack.

37 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Yo @jdgaucho , your thoughts on this huge Big West game tonight?

1BE10815-E2AA-4770-A4C3-9A2A17191D77.jpeg

I think it must be an important game if you're including us in this thread.