Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalinasSpartan

Air Strikes in Syria

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

This all goes back to the GWB mantra of "they're all uhh....evil".

Basically, anything that is anti-Saudi, or anti-Israel, is going to be construed as some sort of "iranian threat" and Americans don't have enough knowledge of the area and the various warring parties that they're all too happy to oblige in siloing groups like that.

With regards to these groups, they're all just more or less out there fighting ISIS and other gulf-backed jihadis in Eastern Syria, as well as being at a sort of detente with the SDF/Kurds who are also out there on the other side of the Euphrates. Also have to realize that most of these groups are generally most concerned with their own smuggling operations. But given they aren't pro-American nor do they take money from American intelligence outfits, they're labeled under a wide umbrella as "pro-Iranian terrorists".

I mean look at where they bombed. It's the border crossing between Syria and Iraq; and the secondary one at that that has become the main one over recent years given that the US has cut the old, main road at Al-Tanf and refuses to leave.

This represents no existential threat to the regime in Damascus and more or less was an attack that had no bearing on anything aside from attacking some random militias. They're calling it a "warning shot" but it wasn't even that because there's nothing really going on in Eastern Syria, and on top of that, it was only several bombs that got dropped onto some "smuggling sheds" or some nonsense. It was just a way to make it look like we were doing "something". As @MetropolitanCowboy pointed out earlier, though, the attack on Kaetaeb Hizbullah is worrisome given they had nothing to do with the attack on the green zone.

Biden's new SoS is a Syria Hawk and was one of those responsible for spearheading our disastrous Syria policy under Obama. Let's hope this is as far as it goes.

The only real combat going on in that part of Syria currently are Russia, the SAA, and some of these very same militias fighting ISIS out in the desert. Let us not forget the time that the US bombed the shit out of the brave defenders of Deir-Ez-Zor in an “accidental” strike that nearly led to the fall of the city into ISIS hands. 

1 minute ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

The Mexican restaurant out at the Metro had incredible food too. 

They moved it in town now but that place is amaze balls, yes.  Great food.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You know what countries other than European ones tend to have really equal gini coefficient numbers?  The ones with the lowest GNI per capita.

Nigeria and Rwanda have a score nearly identical to the UK.

That’s why, and I didn’t even look it up, a country with a regionally higher GDP/cap. with a poor gini coefficient is a sign of problematic inequality.  Relative deprivation and all. 

I’m going to start that deeper dive Libya thread.  Maybe later this evening? 

3 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

That’s why, and I didn’t even look it up, a country with a regionally higher GDP/cap. with a poor gini coefficient is a sign of problematic inequality.  Relative deprivation and all. 

I’m going to start that deeper dive Libya thread.  Maybe later this evening? 

I mean, look at our scores.

8 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

You’ve got to laugh at the armchair idiots who read trash like Chuck Lister and suddenly become “experts” in their own minds. 

Nothing says foreign policy expert like Idaho school teacher after all. 

This all goes back to the GWB mantra of "they're all uhh....evil".

Basically, anything that is anti-Saudi, or anti-Israel, is going to be construed as some sort of "iranian threat" and Americans don't have enough knowledge of the area and the various warring parties that they're all too happy to oblige in siloing groups like that.

With regards to these groups, they're all just more or less out there fighting ISIS and other gulf-backed jihadis in Eastern Syria, as well as being at a sort of detente with the SDF/Kurds who are also out there on the other side of the Euphrates. Also have to realize that most of these groups are generally most concerned with their own smuggling operations. But given they aren't pro-American nor do they take money from American intelligence outfits, they're labeled under a wide umbrella as "pro-Iranian terrorists".

I mean look at where they bombed. It's the border crossing between Syria and Iraq; and the secondary one at that that has become the main one over recent years given that the US has cut the old, main road at Al-Tanf and refuses to leave.

This represents no existential threat to the regime in Damascus and more or less was an attack that had no bearing on anything aside from attacking some random militias. They're calling it a "warning shot" but it wasn't even that because there's nothing really going on in Eastern Syria, and on top of that, it was only several bombs that got dropped onto some "smuggling sheds" or some nonsense. It was just a way to make it look like we were doing "something". As @MetropolitanCowboy pointed out earlier, though, the attack on Kaetaeb Hizbullah is worrisome given they had nothing to do with the attack on the green zone.

Biden's new SoS is a Syria Hawk and was one of those responsible for spearheading our disastrous Syria policy under Obama. Let's hope this is as far as it goes.

Appreciate your insights. 

Not sure what to make of the last mini-par.  Too early to judge Biden FP regardless of his VP years.  I’m well aware of most, but your concise take on Obama’s Syrian fail?

6 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Appreciate your insights. 

Not sure what to make of the last mini-par.  Too early to judge Biden FP regardless of his VP years.  I’m well aware of most, but your concise take on Obama’s Syrian fail?

getting involved in the first place, arming and funding jihadis, and trying to topple a legitimate regime that provides stability in the region. 

It had the highest GDP per capita and the longest life expectancy of any African country. 

It was the wealthiest country in Africa.

But yeah, it's so much better now.

Just goes to show my earlier point that most Americans are wholly ignorant of the Middle East in general.

Qaddafis cardinal sin was that he wanted to get off the Petrodollar valuation of oil, and I think had some dirt on Sarkozy for one thing or another. 

But shit, they’ve got open air slave markets there now...and there’s a breeding ground for ISIS operatives out by the Egyptian border...lots better now I’d say...

Just now, grandjean87 said:

Also, a lot of students with low reading and comprehension levels. 

That should help me get your takes. 

You're the neocon. You shouldn't be mocking other's intelligence. 

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Maybe it will help me get yours, too?

Neocon?  Not even close, and not that I’ll ever take anything personally (I gave a laugh emoji for fvcks sake), but the last thing I’ve done is proposed I’m a foreign policy expert especially for the ME.  Questioning or pushing back on absolutes isn’t that at all. 

3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

He’s probably got a bunch of inspirational sloth “hang in there” posters hanging on his classroom walls. As educated as he touts himself to be, there’s a reason he’s at an alt school teaching...especially in a state like Idaho.