Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Hey Craig, You Know the Part About Protecting Potential At-Large Bids????

With the latest news, Nevada will no longer have to play San Jose State next Wednesday. That will give them 4 days to prepare for the CSU game scheduled on Friday.

CSU, on the other hand, is scheduled to play games on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, hop on a plane to Reno on Thursday, and play Nevada on Friday. Hardly a level playing field and it certainly doesn't fit with a strategy of protecting teams with potential At-Large NCAA bids on the line.

There’s a simple solution. Cancel the CSU-UNM game, the CSU-Nevada game, or both.

That should have been part of this announcement.

74F5895A-7FDF-45EA-B615-F966CE3EE8A2.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

With the latest news, Nevada will no longer have to play San Jose State next Wednesday. That will give them 4 days to prepare for the CSU game scheduled on Friday.

CSU, on the other hand, is scheduled to play games on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, hop on a plane to Reno on Thursday, and play Nevada on Friday. Hardly a level playing field and it certainly doesn't fit with a strategy of protecting teams with potential At-Large NCAA bids on the line.

There’s a simple solution. Cancel the CSU-UNM game, the CSU-Nevada game, or both.

That should have been part of this announcement.

74F5895A-7FDF-45EA-B615-F966CE3EE8A2.jpeg

I can't blame you for being afraid to play Nevada.  I'm sure your players are even more frightened than the fans.   :D

All kidding aside, COVID F'd everything up.  You are right that it's not fair.  But they are doing the best they can to appease the networks and the fans. I'd imagine the CSU/NV games will draw some interest.  I'm glad we are playing, but I see your point too.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, roughrider said:

Everything else aside:  Thompson has worn out his Peter Principle existence.   Get the toad the F out of here already.  The MWC needs actual leadership in athletics.  The time for a lap dog have long passed.

There's no question that conference leadership needs a major overhaul.  CT and his administration has done a very poor job.  They have done so with the endorsement of the university presidents though.  Any change will have to come from that quarter.  I doubt they have the appetite to address it without significant pressure from those they represent.

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I can't blame you for being afraid to play Nevada.  I'm sure your players are even more frightened than the fans.   :D

All kidding aside, COVID F'd everything up.  You are right that it's not fair.  But they are doing the best they can to appease the networks and the fans, err...committee. I'd imagine the CSU/NV games will draw some interest.  I'm glad we are playing, but I see your point too.   

FIFY

First CSU complains no one will play them, and now they’re playing too much?

If you’re truly an at-large worthy team just win the games in front of you. This conference has an awful track record in the NCAAs, if you really need to be protected then I don’t think you’re a tournament team.

22 minutes ago, bigd said:

First CSU complains no one will play them, and now they’re playing too much?

If you’re truly an at-large worthy team just win the games in front of you. This conference has an awful track record in the NCAAs, if you really need to be protected then I don’t think you’re a tournament team.

Well, I completely agree with your second paragraph.  I don't think it's about CSU fans wanting to avoid games so much as an unhappiness with the conference office working to pick winners.  UNR has just gotten better every week so it's going to be a big challenge and hopefully a really good game.  I don't want to duck you guys at all, it only counts if you play the games IMO.  So let's play.  I would just like a couple of freebies if the conference is handing them out.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Well, I completely agree with your second paragraph.  I don't think it's about CSU fans wanting to avoid games so much as an unhappiness with the conference office working to pick winners.  UNR has just gotten better every week so it's going to be a big challenge and hopefully a really good game.  I don't want to duck you guys at all, it only counts if you play the games IMO.  So let's play.  I would just like a couple of freebies if the conference is handing them out.

You did avoid having to play them twice. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

You did avoid having to play them twice. 

Not exactly.  They avoided playing us twice.  CSU was ready to rumble...on schedule.  This setup has a different flavor, but we'll be ready.  Barring some assistant trainer getting the sniffles.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

If you're in the conference, you get to play conference games. :shrug:

Sorry.

The CSU and New Mexico women got it even worse. They get regularly scheduled road games at Utah State and Air Force respectively on Sat/Mon, fly to Las Vegas on Tuesday, play each other on Wednesday and Friday, then begin the MWC Tournament which runs Monday through Wednesday.  7 games in 11 days if they want to win the conference championship and go to the NCAA’s.  They don;’t have a TV contract to fulfill.  Thats not looking after the health and safety of student athletes. 

3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Having multiple teams in the tournament has usually resulted in embarrassment. 

2 of the 3 teams from the MW in the 2011 tournament did pretty well.  The MW was one of 6 conferences with multiple teams in the Sweet Sixteen that season - only the ACC had more.