Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Boise State-San Diego State

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

Dye took Cal State Fullerton to a Regional Final.  Even beat a UNM team in the tournament that featured Michael Cooper, a future NBA Defensive POY. 

image.png.47d19998e4d77c451e18107175a9c610.png

Rice has beaten... nobody

Which has nothing to do with anything.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Which has nothing to do with anything.

Which shows Dye would do better than 3-7 vs Leon Rice.  

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

Which shows Dye would do better than 3-7 vs Leon Rice.  

Not with those Boise teams he had, no.  

Dye was two games over .500 in an absolute dog crap conference at that school.

Dye was a good coach but not anything near what the fat old people who love guns and roses think.

17 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Dye was a good coach but not anything near what the fat old people who love guns and roses think.

Dye was 25 games over .500 at Fullerton and 80 games over at Boise.

In 12 seasons under Dye, Boise went to three NCAA Tournaments and three NITs. That doesn't sound like a coach who would get run off the floor 7 out of 10 times.   :shrug:

4 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Dye spent more than half of his coaching career in an era which predated the shot clock and 3 point line.  And an era before the NCAA Tournament was set at 64 teams.

In 12 seasons under Dye, Boise went to three NCAA Tournaments and three NITs. That doesn't sound like a coach who would get run off the floor 7 out of 10 times.   :shrug:

Like you said.  Different era.  It's not the same game.  Dye's teams in today's basketball would get wrecked by Rice.

Not sure he could recruit to compete either in an era you need more than one or two ringers.  I know you are a big sky fanboy but it's not comparable.

19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Lol maybe old but not fat I’m a personal trainer and I’m probably in better shape than you. My handle is tongue and cheek and not serious. The Big Sky was not crap back in the day and Dyes teams played D.  

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Like you said.  Different era.  It's not the same game.  Dye's teams in today's basketball would get wrecked by Rice.

Not sure he could recruit to compete either in an era you need more than one or two ringers.  I know you are a big west fanboy but it's not comparable.

Dye did go to back to back NCAAs in '93 and '94.  In the "modern" era.  But yes, the Big Sky then wasn't quite as deep as the MWC of today

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseRulz said:

Lol maybe old but not fat I’m a personal trainer and I’m probably in better shape than you. My handle is tongue and cheek and not serious. The Big Sky was not crap back in the day and Dyes teams played D.  

Big Sky was shit.  One bid league and the bid got low seeds.  It was a good deal worse than the WAC which was a good deal worse than the MWC.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Big Sky was shit.  One bid league and the bid got low seeds.  It was a good deal worse than the WAC which was a good deal worse than the MWC.

Well hopefully the Broncos win a tourney game to strengthen your argument and make me happy. Win win I hate woulda coulda shoulda but the Broncos had a very good Michigan team on the ropes with dye in the tourney and it slipped away. They have both never won a game in the tourney and that flat out sucks. 

1 minute ago, AxlRoseRulz said:

Well hopefully the Broncos win a tourney game to strengthen your argument and make me happy. Win win I hate woulda coulda shoulda but the Broncos had a very good Michigan team on the ropes with dye in the tourney and it slipped away. They have both never won a game in the tourney and that flat out sucks. 

Sucks for sure.

3 hours ago, slappy said:

Hard to talk hoops with you if you think Chris childs only makes the team after starting in the league.  He starts on every team,  every year period.  Arnel Jones starts on every team every year period.  I don't think you watched those two play or have the proper perspective to evaluate their talent.  Those two were men among boys.  The best part of Boise state basketball in my opinion.  Good luck in the tournament.  

That was one season, 1987-88.  Boise's best season ever.

I can't find any film from that year - but Boise lost to #5/#17 Wyoming by 4 at home and 6 on the road.  The also lost to NAU, MSU, and Weber all by less than 4 points.  Then a 5 point loss to #10 Michigan in the NCAAs.

But two years later they were 12-18. And the 1993 film leads me to believe athleticism has greatly increased in the last 20 years.  Defense is way more stifling in today's game and neither of these squads could compete with 2020/21 Boise State. I think the same would likely be the same if you compare the 1988 team.  Or if you honestly compare Lebron with Wilt.  Not even the same ballpark.

17 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Rices best teams, including this one, would run Dye's teams off the court 7 out of 10 times.

You underestimate how good a coach he was. Dye’s teams would frustrate the hell out of today’s teams. He made opponents play defense for the entire shot clock which wore them out. In turn, his defenses were outstanding.

Think about this. With limited talent, he took Cal St Fullerton within a few points of the Final Four. As a 14 seed in the Dance, Boise State played Michigan down to the last few seconds. That Michigan team with most of the same players won the NC the following year. 

He was a great coach that got into a contract dispute with Bleymeier and resigned. Dumb mistake by Bleymeier because crowds never have returned in the numbers that attended games when Dye was here. IMO it was the greatest era of Bronco basketball. 

I think you personally would have loved the guy. He wasn’t a big man, but he was highly competitive and often let the refs know it. His players were extremely disciplined and rarely made dumb mistakes. He wouldn’t tolerate it. 

A couple of side notes. Dye once told Arnell Jones, our power forward, that he would make a heavy weight boxing champion out of him. Dye was also an excellent tennis player. He met his wife Connie in Boise. She was an exec with HP. Dye was a great guy who is currently retired in SoCal.

53 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

His players were extremely disciplined and rarely made dumb mistakes. He wouldn’t tolerate it.

Dye's teams turned the ball over 15-16 times per game in the three NCAA tournament years.  Boise this year is at 11.5 turnovers per game (2nd lowest in MWC).

1 hour ago, jewelz4562000 said:

I'd tend to go with green hair soy generation who live in apartments with 4 people because you can't afford a house.

What would drive people to live 4 in an apartment because they can't afford a house, making them have high anxiety and depression to the point where they die their hair green?  :coffeecomputer:

6 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Not nearly as much as your failed takes on this thread.

Respectfully, I think you're better than that.

Homie went all "kids these days" gave us Trump and COVID is fake, when I called him out that was, statistically a boomer thing, you got your feel feels hurt.

The fact you chose my "ageist" post, despite being far more accurate and not his says it all about your feels.