Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Boise State-San Diego State

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

Dye vs Rice...you decide.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/bobby-dye-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/leon-rice-1.html

My take:

Sure, Dye won a few conference tourneys and that's exciting for the fans as you steal the Big Sky NCAA bid. But overall his teams were more mediocre than Leon's and against much worse competition. Did a Bobby Dye team ever earn an "at large" berth? Hell no, Leon has 2 and MIGHT get a third this year.

As for those who say Dye did more with less, I don't see it. Leon has had a few nice players but that's true of every team in the MWC, even this year TBSUfan has overestimated the talent level. Will any current Bronco be selected in the NBA draft? :shrug:.

OTH, Dye did have Chris Childs, the most accomplished Bronco ever, for 4 years. He could elevate the players around him and make any coach look good.

Hey now!  Bobby Dye also took Cal State Fullerton to within a hair of the Final Four in 1978.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Alston won’t last in the NBA.  He’s frail and already 23.  Never gonna bulk up.

Most Bronco fans would agree with you. Bulk, ball handling skills, and poor defense will keep him out of the NBA. 

37 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Hey now!  Bobby Dye also took Cal State Fullerton to within a hair of the Final Four in 1978.

Dye was a great coach. He knew the Xs and Os better than most and was great at motivation. Very competitive guy. His players loved him. His one drawback was style of play. Slow tempo that bored a lot of fans. 

34 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Dye was a great coach. He knew the Xs and Os better than most and was great at motivation. Very competitive guy. His players loved him. His one drawback was style of play. Slow tempo that bored a lot of fans. 

Grew up in the days of the 4 corners offense; used to love when Dean Smith would hold up 4 fingers 😂

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Most Bronco fans would agree with you. Bulk, ball handling skills, and poor defense will keep him out of the NBA. 

I bet he gets drafted late in the second but doubt he ever plays real minutes in the NBA and ends up in Europe sooner than later.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Rices best teams, including this one, would run Dye's teams off the court 7 out of 10 times.

23 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's true grandpa.  

What is the world coming too.

Trump really won the election?  Covid is fake news?  Sissy 1-18 3 point shooting teams are going to hammer the great teams of the past? 

I try to have faith in the youth but you push it to the limit my granola eating man bun friend.  Talk to some oldtimers about how hard Bobby dye teams played.  Then sprinkle in the fact that they actually had a true NBA caliber player with option 2 likely better than every guy leon has brought in.  Definately Guaranteed tougher than everyone of them.  Sorry but beating that team 7 of 10 times would take an all star team from all of Leon's years combined.  Then maybe.  

Just now, slappy said:

What is the world coming too.

Trump really won the election?  Covid is fake news?  Sissy 1-18 3 point shooting teams are going to hammer the great teams of the past? 

I try to have faith in the youth but you push it to the limit my granola eating man bun friend.  Talk to some oldtimers about how hard Bobby dye teams played.  Then sprinkle in the fact that they actually had a true NBA caliber player with option 2 likely better than every guy leon has brought in.  Definately Guaranteed tougher than everyone of them.  Sorry but beating that team 7 of 10 times would take an all star team from all of Leon's years combined.  Then maybe.  

Dye teams had maybe  2 players that would make the team for Rice most years. 

The trump and Covid thing is ALL your generation.  A bunch of people like you.  Fat, old, white wishing for the days of yesteryear. 

2 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Grew up in the days of the 4 corners offense; used to love when Dean Smith would hold up 4 fingers 😂

That SOB cost the rebs a berth in the finals with that garbage, lol. Passed the ball around the perimeter for almost 5 dang minutes, that game is why there is now a shot clock. ugh.

We totally would have beaten Marquette. Al McGuire knew it, too.

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

That SOB cost the rebs a berth in the finals with that garbage, lol. Passed the ball around the perimeter for almost 5 dang minutes, that game is why there is now a shot clock. ugh.

We totally would have beaten Marquette. Al McGuire knew it, too.

It was maddening to defend; completely understand your frustrations 😂

1 minute ago, dshawfan said:

It was maddening to defend; completely understand your frustrations 😂

I always thought it was chicken sh*t, lol. Just get out there and play basketball, not keep away.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Dye teams had maybe  2 players that would make the team for Rice most years. 

Hard to talk hoops with you if you think Chris childs only makes the team after starting in the league.  He starts on every team,  every year period.  Arnel Jones starts on every team every year period.  I don't think you watched those two play or have the proper perspective to evaluate their talent.  Those two were men among boys.  The best part of Boise state basketball in my opinion.  Good luck in the tournament.  

18 minutes ago, slappy said:

Hard to talk hoops with you if you think Chris childs only makes the team after starting in the league.  He starts on every team,  every year period.  Arnel Jones starts on every team every year period.  I don't think you watched those two play or have the proper perspective to evaluate their talent.  Those two were men among boys.  The best part of Boise state basketball in my opinion.  Good luck in the tournament.  

Childs did not get a chance in the NBA until 5 years after his Boise days.  Arnell Jones would come off the bench for this team or maybe a slight upgrade as a starter.  The rest of the team would not even be walk on material.

I know you are old, fat, white and redneck, so think the 80's were the best everything, but you that's a you problem, gramps.

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseRulz said:

Wrong Leon has never had anything close to Chris Child’s or Tanaka Beard. 

Childs, sure.  Beard was a solid Euro guy.  Rice has had lots of those.

And Axl Rose and 80's hair music is complete shit.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Rices best teams, including this one, would run Dye's teams off the court 7 out of 10 times.

It wouldn't be that easy.  Dye took Cal State Fullerton to a Regional Final.  Even beat a UNM team in the tournament that featured Michael Cooper, a future NBA Defensive POY.  And Fullerton didn't even win their league that year.  They finished behind SDSU and Fresno.

image.png.47d19998e4d77c451e18107175a9c610.png