Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Boise State-San Diego State

Seems about right to me. No big matchup problems for either team. Alston has a history of not playing well vs. Aztecs. Boise going to need everybody playing well and limiting turnovers to have a chance.

Starts with leg room on a charter flight - many games have been on commercial flights this year.

6 hours ago, KingBronco said:

I'd take Boise all day long if the line is really +6. I'm curious how SDSU will react to playing their first legit opponent in well over a month tomorrow night. The degree of difficulty for the Aztecs is going to increase significantly. 

Now it’s 6.5 to 7 points favoring the Aztecs.,

30 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

IMO, the best case scenario for the league is a split.  If either team gets swept, they might be NIT bound. 

I think the Aztecs are in regardless unless they flounder in the MWCT. They have NCAA street cred. Boise State needs a split. Both are in if they split. 

20 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The Aztecs are a 6 point favorite in early betting. The matchups:

Mensah-Armus

Mitchell-Kigab

Alston-Schakel

Shaver-Gomez

Dennis-Pulliam/Butler

The benches are comparable. 

If I were Leon - I'd play Akot more in this one and have him defend Schakel.  IMO he's Boise's second best defender behind Kigab, who will have his hands full with Mitchell. Excited for the Mensah-Armus battle and the Kigab/Mitchell one.  All those guys play with a ton of intensity, hopefully the refs don't control the game. 

52 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

If I were Leon - I'd play Akot more in this one and have him defend Schakel.  IMO he's Boise's second best defender behind Kigab, who will have his hands full with Mitchell. Excited for the Mensah-Armus battle and the Kigab/Mitchell one.  All those guys play with a ton of intensity, hopefully the refs don't control the game. 

I’m with you on the above. I’d start Akot over Dennis.

This series is huge for the conference championship, but I don't think it has much impact on getting into the NCAAT regardless of what happens (sweep or split). It of course would affect NCAAT seeding, but I don't think it dents either team's chances of making it in.

The bigger games, for tournament purposes, will be the make up games next week and the MWC tourney.
Even if either team were to get swept and is back on the bubble, if they take care of business in the make ups and then get to the semifinals/finals of the MWC tourney, I think that'd give either Boise or SDSU enough to get back safely off the bubble.
Both teams' metrics don't NEED to be improved, they just can't be exploded by losing to a landmind team (any team other than CSU and Utah St.).

I would hope you are right but... I still think at least one win is more important for Boise than it is for SDSU.... SDSU has more respect on the national scene, they have earned it. BSU is trying but they have not earned as much as SDSU.

3 minutes ago, 4XGrad said:

I would hope you are right but... I still think at least one win is more important for Boise than it is for SDSU.... SDSU has more respect on the national scene, they have earned it. BSU is trying but they have not earned as much as SDSU.

This plus SDSU definitely has better wins this season. To Boise State's credit however, they've beaten two teams SDSU did not in BYU and Utah State. I think, to be safe, BSU needs to split. If not, the tournament becomes vital IMHO.

12 minutes ago, 4XGrad said:

Totally agree. I think the MWC TV contract with CBS and Fox has been a real boost for MWC basketball. It’s allowed our top teams to be seen nationally way more than in the past. And the top five have responded well with mostly high level games. National pundits have sat up and given us kudos. 

I have a feeling this year 2-3 teams make the Dance and those teams are going to make us proud. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Totally agree. I think the MWC TV contract with CBS and Fox has been a real boost for MWC basketball. It’s allowed our top teams to be seen nationally way more than in the past. And the top five have responded well with mostly high level games. National pundits have sat up and given us kudos. 

I have a feeling this year 2-3 teams make the Dance and those teams are going to make us proud. 

I really like the TV coverage we're getting this year.  I've seen more MW BB this year than ever before.  We are fortunate that it happened in a year where the league is playing pretty good ball.  Even some of our cupcake battles have been good games.  Last night's FSU vs  Vegas is just the most recent example. 

Being a league who is on TV a lot can only help with recruiting.

F ESPN.  I like this arrangement.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

31 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I really like the TV coverage we're getting this year.  I've seen more MW BB this year than ever before. 

My only complaint about basketball coverage - I wish we got a few major network games (like Saturday's BSU-SDSU) on CBS or Fox.

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I think the Aztecs are in regardless unless they flounder in the MWCT. They have NCAA street cred. Boise State needs a split. Both are in if they split. 

I dont think the Aztecs can afford to be swept either. With 0 Quad 1 wins, a pair of losses to Boise will probably end up producing 2 Quad 1 losses. They’ll probably have to win out all the way through the MWC Tourney.

I think a split is best for both teams, especially as it relates to both al-large bids and the MWC Tourney. A sweep by either side will most likely result in one team getting the #1 seed and the other getting the #4 seed, setting one team to lose to the other in the semi’s. I’m not sure I’d want to be the loser of that semi-final game having to sit around for the Selection Show.