Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridgeview2

Fry's Electronics going out of business

8 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

F*ck no. One of my closest friends is bullish on his prediction that within two decades the only retailers left will be Amazon and Walmart. 

And no, that's not good for anybody IMO. In that sense, the pandemic was a more of a force multiplier than a root cause.

With regards to Fry's, they were a regional big box 'superstore' that sold nothing but electronics, appliances, and accessories. Always had a great selection and it was always easy to lose an hour or more in their stores, but their online presence was always lacking - everything from the designed functionality to the UX was shit and conveyed an absemce of understanding and/or appreciation for e-commerce in the 21st century. So they were particularly vulnerable when the pandemic began to directly and indirectly impact foot traffic.

nah.  Costco is going nowhere.  Several clothing stores like ross dress for less are doing quite well frankly.  There are retail success stories if you look

41 minutes ago, Akkula said:

I saw this coming when Incredible Universe went out of business:)

Oh well,  we have circuit city trucks down here so maybe sooner frys ones are headed south

Lol...Incredible Universe died because it was a bad concept.  The 1st of many mistakes from the folks at Tandy/RadioShack.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

24 minutes ago, Billings said:

nah.  Costco is going nowhere.  Several clothing stores like ross dress for less are doing quite well frankly.  There are retail success stories if you look

Two decades out is a long, long time. But I hope you're right about Costco - best wine selection and best whisky prices on the planet.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

9 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

F*ck no. One of my closest friends is bullish on his prediction that within two decades the only retailers left will be Amazon and Walmart. 

And no, that's not good for anybody IMO. In that sense, the pandemic was a more of a force multiplier than a root cause.

With regards to Fry's, they were a regional big box 'superstore' that sold nothing but electronics, appliances, and accessories. Always had a great selection and it was always easy to lose an hour or more in their stores, but their online presence was always lacking - everything from the designed functionality to the UX was shit and conveyed an absemce of understanding and/or appreciation for e-commerce in the 21st century. So they were particularly vulnerable when the pandemic began to directly and indirectly impact foot traffic.

That was my impression. I never lived close to a Fry's, so I never went in the store often. They were amazing in their heyday.  The last thing I purchased there was a Nvidia shield and a Harmony remote (about 4 years ago).  Their website was a real headache, a pain in the ass. I can only imagine what @TheSanDiegan experienced while tokin' online, like a real bad acid trip. trip.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, Billings said:

It would appear dollar stores are doing pretty good as well.

110926run_defense710.jpg

52 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

That was my impression. I never lived close to a Fry's, so I never went in the store often. They were amazing in their heyday.  The last thing I purchased there was a Nvidia shield and a Harmony remote (about 4 years ago).  Their website was a real headache, a pain in the ass. I can only imagine what @TheSanDiegan experienced while tokin' online, like a real bad acid trip. trip.

Actually, the only downside to smoking a pre-entry bowl was I would spend probably $50 or more than I had intended on shit I had never intended to buy in the first place. But tbh, there's no better way to rapidly scale a bluray collection and pick up a random mini-RC car in the process. And a Redbull. And a $4 USB drive. And some Doritos (it's a long checkout line). 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Actually, the only downside to smoking a pre-entry bowl was I would spend probably $50 or more than I had intended on shit I never intended to buy in the first place. But tbh, there's no better way to rapidly scale a bluray collection and pick up a random mini-RC car in the process. And a Redbull. And a $4 USB drive. And some Doritos (it's a long checkout line). 

The website was a disaster.

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 minutes ago, Billings said:

Won't miss Fry's.  However, when Radio Shack died that was a sad day for do it yourself types

Radio shack was the shit for DIY audio recording dudes. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Radio shack was the shit for DIY audio recording dudes. 

When I taught Physics I was always going there to get some odd LED light or switch to build a or sensor or circuit for labs in class.  Can't find a place like that now and have to plan ahead lol

6 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Tandy Leather made the switch to digital.

Tandy Leather and the late Tandy/RadioShack havent been connected for about 45 years.

8 hours ago, Billings said:

Won't miss Fry's.  However, when Radio Shack died that was a sad day for do it yourself types

RadioShack Corporation died, but a small number of stores, almost all franchises, and a website still exist.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.