Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stealthlobo

Traveling

Hopefully COVID restrictions are coming to an end...Anyways,

Wherere have you been in life that's amazing? Where is your next trip?  What do you recommend?

This year Ive been to:

India: Chenai and the Kerala coast which was amazing.

Colorado (due to cocid): Aspen, Steamboat, Breckenridge, Telluride, Ouray, Rifle, Grand Junction.

Appreciative that I was actually 'forced' to explore this state due to the pandemic. Again, though, where have you been? Where would you love to go?

I'm currently in Japan (for work), unfortunately the restrictions are pretty tough and I can't go anywhere other than work basically. But it is starting to cool off here and they might be lifting some of the restrictions. If that happens, I plan on hitting up Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, as well as as many small sites I can find. It really is a beautiful place, and the cherry blossoms are just starting to bloom. Very excited about that.

I spent last fall in San Diego, and loved it. Tried to see as much of it as I could, but Covid made that kind of difficult.

I went to Boston for a week in 2019. Absolutely loved it. I am a history nut, and my family is originally from there, so I had a great time checking out all the historical sites as well as the cemeteries where my ancestors are buried. It is really a weird experience to look at a tombstone belonging to someone who lived 400 years ago and say "that is my ancestor". 

All of New England is absolutely beautiful. While we were there we went to Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, in addition to the area around Boston, obviously. We went to the Ben and Jerry's headquarters in Vermont and had some ice cream, then stopped by a maple syrup farm. Highly recommend checking one out, it is really cool how they harvest the syrup. Maine might be my favorite place in New England. So gorgeous. If I could have a cabin there I would spend every summer there. We drove out to Camden and got a good look at the Fox Islands, where some of my ancestors are from. I can't wait to go back.

I went to the Virgin Islands with my family on a cruise in 2006. Funnest vacation I've ever been on, although it was more about the time with my family than the cruise itself. I would really like to go back and explore more of the Caribbean.  It is beautiful and has fascinating history.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

I’ve been to almost all the states. Virginia, once you leave the DC area heading west is one of the most beautiful areas of the country. The Blue Ridge mountains and Monticello are awesome. As far as big cities I’d go with Boston with San Francisco a close second. NYC and LA suck. 

12 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Hopefully COVID restrictions are coming to an end...Anyways,

Wherere have you been in life that's amazing? Where is your next trip?  What do you recommend?

This year Ive been to:

India: Chenai and the Kerala coast which was amazing.

Colorado (due to cocid): Aspen, Steamboat, Breckenridge, Telluride, Ouray, Rifle, Grand Junction.

Appreciative that I was actually 'forced' to explore this state due to the pandemic. Again, though, where have you been? Where would you love to go?

I have family and friends in both. :) May I ask what took you out there?

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

ProTip: When work used to routinely take me to Asia, I would book 3 or 4-continent F-/J-Class RTW tickets. This allowed me to make multiple stops en route, for both business and pleasure. And the flexibility was unreal - so long as the routing was booked, the travel dates didn't have to be - with the only restriction being you had to end up where you began and complete your travel within 12 months.

So a given trip may look like this: BOM-FRA-ZUR-JFK-SAN-LAX-SJO-LAX-SAN-SFO-NAR-HKG-BOM, with trips to Zurich, Costa Rica, Japan, and Hong Kong built into the itinerary, with the only restrictions being availability on a given date and an alliance's route network. 

38 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Planet Earth is an amazing place. I don't know anybody who's seen more of it than I. 

Everybody who's been to the International Space Station...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I’ve been to a lot of countries and some multiple times. I have to say the one that I’d go back to before any others is Greece. I love the people, the history, the food, the breathtaking geological diversity. This is a matter of personal preference of course, Greece isn’t for everyone. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

12 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I'm currently in Japan (for work), unfortunately the restrictions are pretty tough and I can't go anywhere other than work basically. But it is starting to cool off here and they might be lifting some of the restrictions. If that happens, I plan on hitting up Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, as well as as many small sites I can find. It really is a beautiful place, and the cherry blossoms are just starting to bloom. Very excited about that.

I spent last fall in San Diego, and loved it. Tried to see as much of it as I could, but Covid made that kind of difficult.

I went to Boston for a week in 2019. Absolutely loved it. I am a history nut, and my family is originally from there, so I had a great time checking out all the historical sites as well as the cemeteries where my ancestors are buried. It is really a weird experience to look at a tombstone belonging to someone who lived 400 years ago and say "that is my ancestor". 

All of New England is absolutely beautiful. While we were there we went to Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, in addition to the area around Boston, obviously. We went to the Ben and Jerry's headquarters in Vermont and had some ice cream, then stopped by a maple syrup farm. Highly recommend checking one out, it is really cool how they harvest the syrup. Maine might be my favorite place in New England. So gorgeous. If I could have a cabin there I would spend every summer there. We drove out to Camden and got a good look at the Fox Islands, where some of my ancestors are from. I can't wait to go back.

I went to the Virgin Islands with my family on a cruise in 2006. Funnest vacation I've ever been on, although it was more about the time with my family than the cruise itself. I would really like to go back and explore more of the Caribbean.  It is beautiful and has fascinating history.

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I’ve been to almost all the states. Virginia, once you leave the DC area heading west is one of the most beautiful areas of the country. The Blue Ridge mountains and Monticello are awesome. As far as big cities I’d go with Boston with San Francisco a close second. NYC and LA suck. 

Boston is a fantastic city ... between the months of May and November. 

1 hour ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Planet Earth is an amazing place. I don't know anybody who's seen more of it than I. 

I have not been to Europe, and don't care to. I haven't been to Japan or Hong Kong, but wish I could.

San José is pretty cool. I don't have to travel to see the world anymore, the world travels to see me.

I heard that's the nice thing about "quiet time" at the institution... they let you escape to some corner of your padded room with a good book where the only restrictions on your travels are the limits of your imagination and however much time you have before the meds kick in.

And based on the length of your last post, I'm guessing that's what.. three, maybe four minutes? :hmmm:

50 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’ve been to a lot of countries and some multiple times. I have to say the one that I’d go back to before any others is Greece. I love the people, the history, the food, the breathtaking geological diversity. This is a matter of personal preference of course, Greece isn’t for everyone. 

Greece is on my bucket list.

Only ever been to Canada and Mexico.  Ireland is looking like a maybe this year, if not then next year.

Alaska is probably to coolest place I have ever been.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Greece is on my bucket list.

Only ever been to Canada and Mexico.  Ireland is looking like a maybe this year, if not then next year.

Alaska is probably to coolest place I have ever been.

The most beautiful city I’ve ever been to was Prague. Best beer too. 

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

I've been to Prague. I concur.

Agree that Alaska is the most beautiful place. It's like the Tetons meeting the coast for 1,000 miles. Unbelievable.

I don't get to travel much anymore. Don't travel for work and I've been in the midst of raising kids for the past nine years. We did go to Hawaii recently, and it was fantastic. Was a pain getting there during covid, but was way less crowded. That was the best snorkeling I've ever experienced. breathtaking.

Alaska in the summer has to be the best place on earth.  If you can get over the mosquitoes the size of bats.

I've spent a lot of time in Scotland and Ireland - preferred Scotland, but they're both awesome. Hit me up if you're headed either place, happy to give recommendations. 

Ghana had the most amazing sandy beaches I've been to (not that I've seen many...Oahu and a couple in SoCal). A long weekend at Cape Three Points in southwestern Ghana was the most relaxing of my life, but it's a complete pain in the ass to get to from the U.S. 

Did a France and England trip a long time ago. I was surprised I liked France better. I'm not a city guy, so Paris and London were okay, but visiting Normandy, Versailles, and the Loire Valley was incredible. Normandy in particular is one of the places I'll never forget and hope everyone who can takes the chance to go. 

52 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

That's awesome, we went for a wedding and then just explored for a few weeks. Amazing county and ppl.

Was the wedding in Chennai or Kerala? I hope it was the latter (nothing like drinking a fifth of Amrut and watching a good Tiger Dance). Did you make up to the Karnataka coast? There are some incredible temples not more than a stone's from the Kerala border, including this 15th century Jain temple:

IMG-1293.jpg

And yes, Indian hospitality is something special. 

2 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Was the wedding in Chennai or Kerala? I hope it was the latter (nothing like drinking a fifth of Amrut and watching a good Tiger Dance). Did you make up to the Karnataka coast? There are some incredible temples not more than a stone's from the Kerala border, including this 15th century Jain temple:

IMG-1293.jpg

And yes, Indian hospitality is something special. 

Her family lives in Chennai, so the wedding was there and actually really enjoyed it there. Then we spent time exploring Puducherry, Kochi, Munnar, Kumarakom, and Varkala. 

3 hours ago, mondego said:

I've spent a lot of time in Scotland and Ireland - preferred Scotland, but they're both awesome. Hit me up if you're headed either place, happy to give recommendations. 

Ghana had the most amazing sandy beaches I've been to (not that I've seen many...Oahu and a couple in SoCal). A long weekend at Cape Three Points in southwestern Ghana was the just relaxing of my life, but it's a complete pain in the ass to get to from the U.S. 

Did a France and England trip a long time ago. I was surprised I liked France better. I'm not a city guy, so Paris and London were okay, but visiting Normandy, Versailles, and the Loire Valley was incredible. Normandy in particular is one of the places I'll never forget and hope everyone who can takes the chance to go. 

Can you tell us more about Normandy?

The Masters 5k road race All American.

21 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

My son worked for at tech company in Japan for a couple of years.  I loved visiting him and really enjoy that country.  He is now in Taiwan and a resident there.  My wife and I will be headed there after this is over.  Then back to Japan or maybe New Zealand