UNLV2001

Fresno St at UNLV

17 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I'll never feel nostalgic about Rice and his legendarily underachieving squads. I do feel nostalgic about the Kruger era, which I can't believe was already over a decade ago.

Looking more and more foolish with each passing season aren’t they.

• Like 1

Wrote when he was hired, season 3 was going to be what I judge Otzelberger by.  Rightly or wrongly you don’t get 5-6 season plans anymore.

Regardless of what may or may not have been underlying reasons this season was no question a step backwards.  Not much right now to give fans hope on either end.  172nd in offensive efficiency, 198th shooting %, 141st in 3 point %, 169th assist to turnover ratio, 266th in defensive efficiency, 172nd in opponent field goal shooting, 340th in opponent three point defense, 289th in forcing turnovers.

Not keen on hearing about a decent to good amount of roster turnover.  Not to say you cannot in this era of college basketball free agency cobble pieces together to win, but it is a big chance to take in the face of mounting pressure.

The best thing for Otzelberger was Desiree getting shunned by UCLA.  That will get him at least to season 4.  The natives though are getting restless, and if next season resembles anything like the first two his seat will be in fuego heading into season four.

• Like 2

Man, I'm disappointed with what I'm reading here. 

This isn't a "real season"? Everyone said Jenkins was gonna be all world? People are shocked Amuari was a huge loss? Still disrespecting Mbacke's game and Marvin's coaching? He basically sacraficed a successful coaching tenure and his win % just for an opportunity to coach at UNLV? Just now figuring out that there's something off with recruiting translating to results? Still haven't noticed the AD needs to be shit canned yesterday?

I was pretty adamant about Jenkins and Wood being role players at best. Not high caliber starters in the mwc. Easy one to see. Mbacke would be a beast if he had continued to be developed by people with a proven track record with bigs. But he's still better than any player TJ has brought in. High major talent for sure, just like JTT, who the same people also trashed. Of course this is a real season. Just ask all the good teams. And I'm saying this after a win. UNLV is not very good and headed in the wrong direction fast. Some of the same people making excuse could see as clear as Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder that Dave Rice and Marvin Menzies were bad coaches, but TJ is Kruger Jr.

Delusional. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Wrote when he was hired, season 3 was going to be what I judge Otzelberger by.  Rightly or wrongly you don’t get 5-6 season plans anymore.

Regardless of what may or may not have been underlying reasons this season was no question a step backwards.  Not much right now to give fans hope on either end.  172nd in offensive efficiency, 198th shooting %, 141st in 3 point %, 169th assist to turnover ratio, 266th in defensive efficiency, 172nd in opponent field goal shooting, 340th in opponent three point defense, 289th in forcing turnovers.

Not keen on hearing about a decent to good amount of roster turnover.  Not to say you cannot in this era of college basketball free agency cobble pieces together to win, but it is a big chance to take in the face of mounting pressure.

The best thing for Otzelberger was Desiree getting shunned by UCLA.  That will get him at least to season 4.  The natives though are getting restless, and if next season resembles anything like the first two his seat will be in fuego heading into season four.

I think TJ is a good coach, and he's done some good things for the program such as getting players into the program that will buy in to a system instead of chasing "stars".  And he teaches the system well.  He has failed miserably in talent assessment, failing to reckon with the type of athlete necessary to succeed at this level. Even though the Summit and the MWC are both grouped into the amorphous blob known "mid-major"  there is a chasm between the two leagues. The MWC is arguably the dominate west coast league at this point. I wonder just how connected he is to the west coast AAU/High school networks.

21 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Man, I'm disappointed with what I'm reading here. 

This isn't a "real season"? Everyone said Jenkins was gonna be all world? People are shocked Amuari was a huge loss? Still disrespecting Mbacke's game and Marvin's coaching? He basically sacraficed a successful coaching tenure and his win % just for an opportunity to coach at UNLV? Just now figuring out that there's something off with recruiting translating to results? Still haven't noticed the AD needs to be shit canned yesterday?

I was pretty adamant about Jenkins and Wood being role players at best. Not high caliber starters in the mwc. Easy one to see. Mbacke would be a beast if he had continued to be developed by people with a proven track record with bigs. But he's still better than any player TJ has brought in. High major talent for sure, just like JTT, who the same people also trashed. Of course this is a real season. Just ask all the good teams. And I'm saying this after a win. UNLV is not very good and headed in the wrong direction fast. Some of the same people making excuse could see as clear as Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder that Dave Rice and Marvin Menzies were bad coaches, but TJ is Kruger Jr.

Delusional. 

Diong was making progress late last season and showed signs early this season. He's faded lately, possibly as a result of being the only guy on the squad with a post presence.  Other teams are running 2 -3 guys at him. That will run a guy down eventually.  There's no way he hangs around for another year as some in here suggest.

IMO, Hamilton is a good as gone too and maybe 1 or 2 others.  The question each will have to ask themselves is are they willing to sacrifice another two years while TJ rebuilds the roster.  UNLV is very vulnerable  at this point.

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

I think TJ is a good coach, and he's done some good things for the program such as getting players into the program that will buy in to a system instead of chasing "stars".  And he teaches the system well.  He has failed miserably in talent assessment, failing to reckon with the type of athlete necessary to succeed at this level. Even though the Summit and the MWC are both grouped into the amorphous blob known "mid-major"  there is a chasm between the two leagues. The MWC is arguably the dominate west coast league at this point. I wonder just how connected he is to the west coast AAU/High school networks.

He’s upgrading the athleticism starting with 2021.

Diong was making progress late last season and showed signs early this season. He's faded lately, possibly as a result of being the only guy on the squad with a post presence.  Other teams are running 2 -3 guys at him. That will run a guy down eventually.  There's no way he hangs around for another year as some in here suggest.

IMO, Hamilton is a good as gone too and maybe 1 or 2 others.  The question each will have to ask themselves is are they willing to sacrifice another two years while TJ rebuilds the roster.  UNLV is very vulnerable  at this point.

Diong will be back.

2 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He’s upgrading the athleticism starting with 2021.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Diong will be back.

You're a true fan.  I'll give that to you, young man. 

Keep your optimism.

20 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

You're a true fan.  I'll give that to you, young man. 

Keep your optimism.

Arthur Kaluma is a top 50 recruit.  Keshon Gilbert is good too and an athletic upgrade.

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Not arguing that tj's talent assessment for UNLV has been off, but how did that happen? He was supposed to be an awesome recruiter at ISU. He has no excuse for not knowing what big boy players look like. My guess is he thought he could innovate the "golden state" method into college hoops, 3-4 guards raining threes all night, but I guess it's not so simple. Rice, too, came in with plan which was to allow the players to take the first "open" shot and run up the score, like Tark teams, but turns out that's not so easy to replicate either.

Diong had two good games vs fresno. Not sure he's fading, per se. Diong is a respectable big, plays really good D, finishes pretty well now, gets steals, good passer, just never going to be all conference. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

For this offensive system to be effective you need three primary ingredients; a couple of players who can get into the paint and either finish at the rim or if they draw defenders kick out for three, multiple very good to great three point shooters on the floor, and a versatile big who in particular can face up out to the three point line opening up the paint and pass the ball.

Looking at the roster in place they are average to subpar in each of these areas currently.  I’ve written several times that Diong is not a fit for this offensive scheme at all.  They really need to find that versatile big man which would probably need to come in the grad transfer market.

Kualma and Collins are P5 level talents who should help, but obviously Collins isn’t coming which is a significant loss as a guard who would be able to get into the paint and create.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

For this offensive system to be effective you need three primary ingredients; a couple of players who can get into the paint and either finish at the rim or if they draw defenders kick out for three, multiple very good to great three point shooters on the floor, and a versatile big who in particular can face up out to the three point line opening up the paint and pass the ball.

Looking at the roster in place they are average to subpar in each of these areas currently.  I’ve written several times that Diong is not a fit for this offensive scheme at all.  They really need to find that versatile big man which would probably need to come in the grad transfer market.

Kualma and Collins are P5 level talents who should help, but obviously Collins isn’t coming which is a significant loss as a guard who would be able to get into the paint and create.

I don’t think the shooting is that big of a problem.  I think the percentages would be higher if they took more threes off dribble penetration vs passing the ball around the perimeter and then shooting.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Not arguing that tj's talent assessment for UNLV has been off, but how did that happen? He was supposed to be an awesome recruiter at ISU. He has no excuse for not knowing what big boy players look like. My guess is he thought he could innovate the "golden state" method into college hoops, 3-4 guards raining threes all night, but I guess it's not so simple. Rice, too, came in with plan which was to allow the players to take the first "open" shot and run up the score, like Tark teams, but turns out that's not so easy to replicate either.

Diong had two good games vs fresno. Not sure he's fading, per se. Diong is a respectable big, plays really good D, finishes pretty well now, gets steals, good passer, just never going to be all conference. 

You forgot about Washington as well.  He was the primary recruiter for Marquese Chriss.  He was extremely undervalued and wound up being a one and done.

Big issue TJ cant adapt his system to the players he has. Esp since he brought in about 90% of them.

TJ has the talent on the roster and doesn’t know how to use it, or he's missed the mark 90% of the time in talent evaluation. That's both seasons and the class with Collins taken into consideration. No way to tell if any or all of those guys end up as busts under TJ and staff at this point. Hate to say it. 

No one but 'you know who' will stamp their guarantee on UNLV to the dance or finishing top 3 mwc next season.

This is 2 full recruiting classes in with eligible transfers and all.

WTH yo?

Teams just not good enough, or TJ's not good enough at coaching it. Not even trying to be harsh. 

But either way that's on TJ, seriously. I don't want to hear any of those excuses.