Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Fresno St at UNLV

15 hours ago, quickdraw said:

1 game behind .500 for this meaningless year. 3 games minimum remaining. Then an 8 month wait till we can do it over for real.

Theres a lot to say but bottom line this season is a failure. Not any better than the Menzies era. One thing this team is sorely lacking is a real leader on the floor, some of the transfers TJO brought in haven’t filled the void that Mitrou-Long left. Jenkins hasn’t been the guy we were hoping. 

Blame Covid if you want but everyone else is dealing with the same circumstances with practice, schedules being re-arranged etc. 

TJO isn’t living up to the billing or getting his money’s worth, bottom line. Next season must have success and lots of wins. Otherwise stick a fork in him. 

29 minutes ago, slappy said:

Obviously I am right.  As Unlv struggles to reach .500 in yet another year.  U should not call friends names either.  Words hurt. 

You said he was a P5 assistant when he made the postseason all three years he was head coach at South Dakota State, so what you said was idiotic.

7 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

You said he was a P5 assistant when he made the postseason all three years he was head coach at South Dakota State, so what you said was idiotic.

In the Summitt or Big sky he is a quality head coach.  In a conference like the MW he struggles to reach .500.  That my friend is a job most P5 assistants can do.  

6 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

It says a lot when some fans (including myself) start feeling nostalgic about Dave Rice.

I'll never feel nostalgic about Rice and his legendarily underachieving squads. I do feel nostalgic about the Kruger era, which I can't believe was already over a decade ago.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

7 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

It says a lot when some fans (including myself) start feeling nostalgic about Dave Rice.

I think he is the 3rd or 4th winningest coach in unlv history.  Of course they would miss that as compared to fighting to be .500

It seems like UNLV is moving to a 2 year coaching cycle before the wash and repeat according to some. It isn’t going to happen. If this madness doesn’t stop then yes we would have all been better off if Coach Dave Rice was still here.

I have no idea if TJ is the guy or not and neither does anyone else at this point. Also anyone trying to use this year as a measuring stick should use that stick to pry their head out of their ass and look around. Nothing normal about this past year.

Too direct...maybe but then again it seems like frustrations abound.

23 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

It seems like UNLV is moving to a 2 year coaching cycle before the wash and repeat according to some. It isn’t going to happen. If the madness doesn’t stop then yes we would have all been better off if Coach Dave Rice was still here.

I have no idea if TJ is the guy or not and neither does anyone else at this point. Also anyone trying to use this year as a measuring stick should use that stick to pry their head out of their ass and look around. Nothing normal about this past year.

Too direct...maybe but then again it seems like frustrations abound.

Couldn’t have said it better.  The teams that are winning this year have

1. Continuity

2. Culture

3. Both

1 hour ago, slappy said:

In the Summitt or Big sky he is a quality head coach.  In a conference like the MW he struggles to reach .500.  That my friend is a job most P5 assistants can do.  

More proof that you’re an idiot.  If it was that easy, then all of those schools would be successful if they hired a P5 assistant.

4 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I'll never feel nostalgic about Rice and his legendarily underachieving squads. I do feel nostalgic about the Kruger era, which I can't believe was already over a decade ago.

About 4 times a week I stare far off into the distance and mumble to myself "how f'ing stupid was it that they didn't pay Kruger a couple more bucks..."

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Couldn’t have said it better.  The teams that are winning this year have

1. Continuity

2. Culture

3. Both

Before you can have any of the above, you have to have a good coach.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 hours ago, slappy said:

For many that is where they start.  

NV hired a P5 asst a few years ago.  Two years later, we made the swt 16.

A P5 asst is no more or less of a risk than hiring a HC from a lower league.  I'm guessing UNM & UNLV wish they hired a P5 asst instead of what they ended up with. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

16 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

A p5 asst is no more or less of a risk than hiring a HC from lower league.  I'm guessing UNM & UNLV wish they hired a P5 asst instead of what they ended up with. 

Whoever you get needs to have strong recruiting ties and can put together a staff that can recruit.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

A p5 asst is no more or less of a risk than hiring a HC from lower league.  I'm guessing UNM & UNLV wish they hired a P5 asst instead of what they ended up with. 

Kind of my point to the young man.  Its a crap shoot going that route. Works sometimes.  Or you pay a guy that has gotten it done already.  

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

About 4 times a week I stare far off into the distance and mumble to myself "how f'ing stupid was it that they didn't pay Kruger a couple more bucks..."

Around Kruger's last year UNLV was rated by ESPN as the 8th most profitable basketball program in the country, with a gross profit of $8 mill per year. It was a money-maker fueling the entire university during the worst economy in Vegas history (2007-2010). 

Instead of giving Kruger a $1 million pay raise to sustain that, they licked their chops over his $1 mill buyout and Rice offering to work for $500k/yr...nice little boost in the books for UNLV Athletics.

That little manuever guided UNLV Basketball through a steady degradation of tens of millions of dollars from 2009 to 2021. Probably in the $40-50 mill range.

Cheaping out and not atleast equaling Oklahoma's offer was a program killer.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

37 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Around Kruger's last year UNLV was rated by ESPN as the 8th most profitable basketball program in the country, with a gross profit of $8 mill per year. It was a money-maker fueling the entire university during the worst economy in Vegas history (2007-2010). 

Instead of giving Kruger a $1 million pay raise to sustain that, they licked their chops over his $1 mill buyout and Rice offering to work for $500k/yr...nice little boost in the books for UNLV Athletics.

That little manuever guided UNLV Basketball through a steady degradation of tens of millions of dollars from 2009 to 2021. Probably in the $40-50 mill range.

Cheaping out and not atleast equaling Oklahoma's offer was a program killer.

Probably didn’t even have to equal the offer.

People that never get ahead are always more worried saving money. People that do get ahead worry more about increasing revenue.

19 minutes ago, toonkee said:

People that never get ahead are always more worried saving money. People that do get ahead worry more about increasing revenue.

No kidding, he's already setting up his retirement pad back in Vegas. UNLV just needed to come close. JHC

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

5 hours ago, toonkee said:

Probably just had to act like they wanted him. IIRC his seat was getting a little warm, people weren't crazy about the walking rebels.

And yeah, Livengood thought he could save a buck. Money should have never been the issue.