Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

MWC BB added games

Tuesday, March 2
Fresno State at Boise State (CBSSN)       5 p.m. MT

Wednesday, March 3
Nevada at San José State (Stadium)        TBA
New Mexico at Colorado State (MWN)      TBA
San Diego State at UNLV (CBSSN)          6 p.m. PT

Thursday, March 4
Wyoming at Utah State (FS1)                  7:30 p.m. MT

Friday, March 5
Colorado State at Nevada (CBSSN)          6 p.m. PT

Saturday, March 6
Utah State at Fresno State (FS1)             8 p.m. PT
UNLV at Wyoming (CBSSN)                       9 p.m. MT

Air Force is scheduled to complete its 20-game MW regular-season slate on Monday, March 1 and will be open the final week.

For the mw sake they better hope csu/bsu/sdsu win all those games. Only one game (csu@nev) would be a resume building in anyway and any loss for any of those teams would be devastating.

Also wonder if bsu or sdsu will try to add another ooc game. They play their one make game tues/wed so could still sch another game later in week if they want.

Just now, thedude15 said:

For the mw sake they better hope csu/bsu/sdsu win all those games. Only one game (csu@nev) would be a resume building in anyway and any loss for any of those teams would be devastating.

Also wonder if bsu or sdsu will try to add another ooc game. They play their one make game tues/wed so could still sch another game later in week if they want.

SDSU has been trying to get good games with no luck. But they’ve made it clear they are not interested in a mid tier opponent

17 minutes ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

SDSU has been trying to get good games with no luck. But they’ve made it clear they are not interested in a mid tier opponent

So the question is how many teams even met that criteria that have open days. I mean technically byu/Gonzaga could play that Saturday (there first wcct games are the following Monday) but I doubt either would be interested.

A team like ucsb looks ok (on paper cause they have a solid net) but you would have to play them early in week (they have conference games fri/sat). 

Maybe a bubble team from a big time conference that has a last second covid cancelation? But guessing that hypothetical team would want a home game (ie the mw team needs to travel). 

34 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Agreed. A CSU loss to New Mexico or a BSU loss to Fresno would be disastrous and kill their hopes for an at large Dance selection. 

I posted this over on Aztec Mesa (so take the Aztec slant with a grain of salt) but this is my takeaway from the updated schedule and how it relates to conference championship/seeding:

SDSU now (fully) controls our own conference championship destiny.

With the New Mexico forfeits, we're now 13-3. So, if we sweep Boise and beat UNLV, that puts our conference record at 16-3.
If CSU, currently 11-3, also wins out against Air Force 2x, New Mexico and Nevada, their record will be 15-3.
First tiebreaker for conference seeding is winning %, so given 16>15, we'd have sole possession of the #1 seed. No other tiebreakers need to be applied.

Prior to the rescheduling of games and New Mexico forfeits, stay with me here, we needed to both sweep Boise AND have either CSU lose to Air Force or Utah State lose to Nevada (which would've given us the #1 seed tiebreaker because either CSU would have 4 losses or Boise would be the 3rd place team over Utah St. and our sweep over Boise would've given us the better head-to-head record vs. the next team in the standings, which is the first tiebreaker if teams have the same winning %). Yes, I thought about this a lot 8-|
Even with us sweeping Boise, without one of those other things happening that was out of our control (CSU or Utah St. losing) and prior to the updated schedule, CSU would've had the tiebreaker over us (given without another loss, Utah State would be the 3rd place team who swept us and split with CSU).

IF we take care of business, the decision by the MWC will actually be one we're all glad about, assuming you care about conference championships as much as I do.

Yes, UNLV is a landmine, but the #1 seed gives us a banner for life and a better shot in the MWC tournament.
That's all in our control now.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Tuesday, March 2
Fresno State at Boise State (CBSSN)       5 p.m. MT

Wednesday, March 3
Nevada at San José State (Stadium)        TBA
New Mexico at Colorado State (MWN)      TBA
San Diego State at UNLV (CBSSN)          6 p.m. PT

Thursday, March 4
Wyoming at Utah State (FS1)                  7:30 p.m. MT

Friday, March 5
Colorado State at Nevada (CBSSN)          6 p.m. PT

Saturday, March 6
Utah State at Fresno State (FS1)             8 p.m. PT
UNLV at Wyoming (CBSSN)                       9 p.m. MT

Air Force is scheduled to complete its 20-game MW regular-season slate on Monday, March 1 and will be open the final week.

If the game with Nevada actually takes place on March 3rd (you never know in this crazy Covid-19 era) San Jose State will have played a grand total of 3 games at home this season. 

18 minutes ago, FinnaSmash05 said:

I posted this over on Aztec Mesa (so take the Aztec slant with a grain of salt) but this is my takeaway from the updated schedule and how it relates to conference championship/seeding:

SDSU now (fully) controls our own conference championship destiny.

With the New Mexico forfeits, we're now 13-3. So, if we sweep Boise and beat UNLV, that puts our conference record at 16-3.
If CSU, currently 11-3, also wins out against Air Force 2x, New Mexico and Nevada, their record will be 15-3.
First tiebreaker for conference seeding is winning %, so given 16>15, we'd have sole possession of the #1 seed. No other tiebreakers need to be applied.

Prior to the rescheduling of games and New Mexico forfeits, stay with me here, we needed to both sweep Boise AND have either CSU lose to Air Force or Utah State lose to Nevada (which would've given us the #1 seed tiebreaker because either CSU would have 4 losses or Boise would be the 3rd place team over Utah St. and our sweep over Boise would've given us the better head-to-head record vs. the next team in the standings, which is the first tiebreaker if teams have the same winning %). Yes, I thought about this a lot 8-|
Even with us sweeping Boise, without one of those other things happening that was out of our control (CSU or Utah St. losing) and prior to the updated schedule, CSU would've had the tiebreaker over us (given without another loss, Utah State would be the 3rd place team who swept us and split with CSU).

IF we take care of business, the decision by the MWC will actually be one we're all glad about, assuming you care about conference championships as much as I do.

Yes, UNLV is a landmine, but the #1 seed gives us a banner for life and a better shot in the MWC tournament.
That's all in our control now.

So, SDSU could get a regular season championship over CSU based on forfeits?

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

So, SDSU could get a regular season championship over CSU based on forfeits?

Correct, SDSU could get a sole regular season championship due to the decision to make them forfeits.

Wearing my red and black shaded eyeglasses, it seems appropriate the conference is putting SDSU's sole championship fate back in our hands, as opposed to potentially letting New Mexico cost us a chance to get a sole championship.

1 minute ago, FinnaSmash05 said:

Correct, SDSU could get a sole regular season championship due to the decision to make them forfeits.

Wearing my red and black shaded eyeglasses, it seems appropriate the conference is putting SDSU's sole championship fate back in our hands, as opposed to potentially letting New Mexico cost us a chance to get a sole championship.

If things shake out that way, it'll come down to who played the most games between the two teams.  I get where an Aztec fan is good with it, but as a RAM fan you can see where we would feel we were shorted an opportunity while you were handed one.

Probably won't matter though, as it's all hypothetical right now.  Still plenty of ball to play.

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

If things shake out that way, it'll come down to who played the most games between the two teams.  I get where an Aztec fan is good with it, but as a RAM fan you can see where we would feel we were shorted an opportunity while you were handed one.

Probably won't matter though, as it's all hypothetical right now.  Still plenty of ball to play.

Completely agree.

As an Aztec fan, it feels appropriate and justified.
From a different perspective, it seems like either the biggest coincidence in the world or a crafty way to accommodate certain schools amongst the contenders.

Hopefully, SDSU and CSU both make the NCAAT regardless of how things shake out. I'll be rooting for that to happen along with Boise and/or Utah St and think that would take a little bit of the stink off any of these interesting scheduling decisions.